Precat removal - How I did it...

Started by GSB, April 14, 2004, 09:10

Anonymous

Quote from: "odub"Right, who wants to gut my pre-cats for me?  

I have no mechanical knowledge, non of the apparatus and a good awfull fear of ruining my car.

I'm willing to pay.

go on, who wants it?

Heh heh.......I was and am exactly the same. I went to the pre-cat gutting meet and the Grant, the star did mine, but I reckon he might be a bit peed off with doing them now!!!

I am sure someone might be willing to chip in!!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "odub"Right, who wants to gut my pre-cats for me?  

I have no mechanical knowledge, non of the apparatus and a good awfull fear of ruining my car.

I'm willing to pay.

go on, who wants it?

I could help but I think shipping would be kinda pricy  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Oh by the way, both upper and lower surfaces of my '03 precats were flat. I used a 2 foot breaker bar to loosen the lower precat manifold bolts. Those suckers are tight even on a new car.

Slacey

You're a bit far away from me for my services to be of any use, but if anyone in the Midlands wants a hand, I'd be willing to help.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

dieamond

Did mine tonight

I'm waiting for some DEI tape tio put around the header before putting it back in, installation wednesday next week I would say.
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia
JUN - Racing Gear - APR Performance - HKS - Apexi - Project Mu - Trial

Anonymous

gonna get myself a pair of the gaskets that you need tommorrow and *hopefully* be attempting it friday - if the whethers nice!

Bongo

My O2's still stuck - still i should have time for a visit to Mr T tomorrow   s:? :? s:?

dieamond

Tip's of the day :
don't do this with bare arms and wear some gloves

I'm scratching like an old dog even after 2 showers :/
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia

GSB

Quote from: "dieamond"Tip's of the day :

s:D :D s:D   Oops, I suppose I should have written something like that into the original instructions, but several years of exposure to the stuff mean that I dont really feel it anymore!
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "dieamond"Tip's of the day :

I didn't have an issue with hands  s8) 8) s8)  But I figured it can't be a good idea to breath that stuff, so I used a mask...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Guys, could just getting a performance manifold fitted take all the worry away.

Plus you get a bit more bhp ?

james

Slacey

Quote from: "j80rjo"Guys, could just getting a performance manifold fitted take all the worry away.

Plus you get a bit more bhp ?
Yes... but it will cost you in the region of £300+

Gutting is free, and if you look at the TRD header, you now have something VERY similar  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Tem

Quote from: "Slacey"Yes... but it will cost you in the region of £300+

The PPE manifold was about £240 shipped to Finland  s;) ;) s;)  Made the rest of the pipe myself paying ~£50 for the parts...I think that's a great value for money. Where else could you get nice extra power and significant weight reduction far away from the centre for that kind of money  s8) 8) s8)

(had already killed my precats earlier for £0)

Anonymous

anyone in US have their pre-cats gutted? how much to they cost if u take it to a shop to do it? what type of shop should i take to? a muffler shop?
i just got mine 00' MR-2 last week and im worried about this problem. is the pre-cat failure problem noticeable or it is a "instant death" problem that will blow the engine?
thanks!

Richard

Tem

Quote from: "sonar"anyone in US have their pre-cats gutted? how much to they cost if u take it to a shop to do it? what type of shop should i take to? a muffler shop?

There are several people on  w www.spyderchat.com w  (US based Spydersite) who have done this. Apparently you can't find a shop in US to do this, cause it's illegal...or at least anyone won't name any shops out loud  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Quoteis the pre-cat failure problem noticeable or it is a "instant death" problem that will blow the engine?

Once you notice it, it's already too far. Probably the only way to catch this in time is to check the precats regularly, like every time you fill up. It just gets very boring very fast  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Is there a quick fix for an engine that has just started to suffer as a consequence of pre-cat failure?

markiii

no fix, you can band aid it, but ultimately if thats the proble, by by engine  s:-( :-( s:-(
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"no fix, you can band aid it, but ultimately if thats the proble, by by engine  s:-( :-( s:-(

Band aid it? Like how?  I suppose once it's in its further stages of breakdown its a new block job or at least a rebore and pistons...

markiii

band aid, gut teh precats so it can't get worse, the just keep an eye on teh oil level and top up as appropriate. You will get through increasing large amounts of oil as it gets worse, but get those precats out ASAP.

none of this will be anything other than an excersise in putting of teh inevitable, new engine or at least short block.

if you gut the precats though you may at least save you main cat.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

GSB

Of course this is assuming your engine is already suffering "The Symptoms"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but havent you only had the car about 5 minutes? Is it possible you're just reading all this and expecting the worst?

Seeing as your car is out of warranty, I'd gut the cats anyway... You may not have a problem with them at all, but, in my experience, it certainly stops you worrying about them...

If your cats have broken down, and your car is consuming vast quantities of oil, then "band aid" is about right. But some cars do use more oil that others, mines never used a drop, whilst some owners have reported that they do have to top up now and again. Both are normal.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

No I haven't had the car long and I don't actually know for sure if it is burning oil, it's just that I can smell it every now and then.  As I said in another post, it's not often but a couple of times per day I'll smell the burnt oil.  I'm sure I've got nothing to worry about but I will definately be gutting the pre-cats as soon as the weather clears up just as a preventative measure.

cheers

Anonymous

i just got my 2000 MR2 last week without warranty. its got 43k miles on it already. i really dont know if the pre-cat is already bad or what.
its like this, when my rpm is lower than 1, i step on the gas pedal and the rpm wont go up instantly like other cars, like the reaction is slower... is this normal?
and my spyder cant even spin the wheels abit, even thought i start at 7000rpm during the 1st gear... im really worried man...

Anonymous

sorry if im asking stupid questions, what is the difference between "manifold" , "main cat" and "headers"?

Tem

Quote from: "sonar"sorry if im asking stupid questions, what is the difference between "manifold" , "main cat" and "headers"?

Manifold=header, that's the one with the O2 sensoders and precats that connects to the engine.

Main cat is the one in the pipe that is between the manifold and muffler.

dieamond

Got my DEI tape tthis morning, installed it at noon, the stock header transformed goes in this evening  :-) :-) :-)

dieamond

It's installed, just made half a kilometer to burn the DEI tape

I think this rocks  :-) :-) :-)

Tags: