Precat removal - How I did it...

Started by GSB, April 14, 2004, 09:10

Anonymous

ok so now i'm panicking   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
my previous car was an adorable mgf with which i had the worry of the inevitable head gasket failure which did happen to me  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:   , so i thought  lets go for a reliable and sexy car next a 'toyota ' a nice shiney red roadster which i love to bits  s:P :P s:P  
is it as inevitable for the precats to fail on my roadster as an hgf on an mg  s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

Ineveitable? Hmmm... I'd say yes, but that could happen at 15K miles or not until 200K miles, so it's a hrad question to answer.

Get them out and be sure, it's the only way. It's not that hard at all, and this is the best place to read how to do it.

Welcome, by the way!  s:D :D s:D

GSB

Quote from: "saftmadred"ok so now i'm panicking   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
my previous car was an adorable mgf with which i had the worry of the inevitable head gasket failure which did happen to me  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:   , so i thought  lets go for a reliable and sexy car next a 'toyota ' a nice shiney red roadster which i love to bits  s:P :P s:P  
is it as inevitable for the precats to fail on my roadster as an hgf on an mg  s:?: :?: s:?:

Let's get one thing into perspective, Iin comparison to K-series Head gasket failure's, the pre-cat issue on the 1ZZ isn't even in the same ballpark...  Its not even nearly as common.

The K series is a great engine, when its working. However its thirst for Head Gaskets is unbelievable.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

thankyou for the very fast replies and the welcome  s:D :D s:D  , does anyone know of any garages with good roadster knowledge in the midlands  s:?: :?: s:?:  , i'm really not mechanicaly minded at all so  it would be a disaster to even attempt this alone  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "saftmadred"thankyou for the very fast replies and the welcome  s:D :D s:D  , does anyone know of any garages with good roadster knowledge in the midlands  s:?: :?: s:?:  , i'm really not mechanicaly minded at all so  it would be a disaster to even attempt this alone  s:? :? s:?

You have pm   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

red_leicester

You know of somewhere Roo ?

C'mon, spill the beans.
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Anonymous

QuoteKnow a couple of good places in Northants, the best being http://www.silverstoneperformance.co.uk/]Silverstone%20Performance - See the Silverstone Performance section of the forum too.

Also Rogue are good, but a bit of a trek for you.

this is what roo sent me (hope you don't mind roo)

Anonymous

Quote from: "saftmadred"Know a couple of good places in Northants, the best being [your=]http://www.silverstoneperformance.co.uk/]Silverstone Performance[/url] - See the Silverstone Performance section of the forum too.

Also Rogue are good, but a bit of a trek for you.

this is what roo sent me (hope you don't mind roo)

Nope, nothing a good search on here wouldn't have found anyway  s;) ;) s;)

Cheers

Roo

Anonymous

Ref the removal of above where do you get the 22mm socket from to remove sensors.

regards

mutley 22

kanujunkie

Quote from: "mutley 22"Ref the removal of above where do you get the 22mm socket from to remove sensors.

regards

mutley 22

and the search button provides

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... gen+sensor m
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "mutley 22"Ref the removal of above where do you get the 22mm socket from to remove sensors.

regards

mutley 22

ebay

Anonymous

finally got the manifold off and the precats smashed to bits. however, 3 studs snapped, oh dear. Rang toyota and I was told that I can get the studs, but it will be 2 days. Is there any reason not to use normal bolts?
Want the car on the road asap.  s:? :? s:?

kanujunkie

temporarily, you should be fine, just be careful for the depth of the bolt
[size=100]Stu[/size]

philster_d

Cant you get some better less "sticky" bolts ?

Philster.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "philster_d"Cant you get some better less "sticky" bolts ?

Philster.

????

less sticky???
[size=100]Stu[/size]

philster_d

"3 stuck bolts"  i mean like stainless or rust proof or something

kanujunkie

may not help as most of the bolts are heat sealed in. main reason i only say temporarily on the bolts is that the bolts will have disimilar expansion when they're heat soaked which could create problems if they're in long term
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

I'm thinking maybe I should order replacement bolts incase mine snap when my brother is taking the old rusted ones out.

Anonymous

Dan, as well as the obvious need for the new gaskets, I wish I'd just ordered the stud as well for both the maifold to head joint and the manifold to the main cat joint.
Much easier and less stressful if you've got everything that you need.
In hindsight I would have ordered everything that would possiably break.  s:idea: :idea: s:idea:

Anonymous

Ding dong the pre cats are gone!  s:D :D s:D  
Next step powerflow on monday.
Then unichip in a week or 2.
Would never have known about the precat issue if it wasn't for the club, thanks for all of the advice from everyone.

Anonymous

Just had my precats removed today. The local mechanic i use did it for me for £90 and it took him around 3 1/2 hours. He siad the bolts were no problem at all?

My '2 has 40K on it and the left hand precat had started to crack but no disintegration had occured yet - so i consider myself lucky i got it done when i did.

Anonymous

In the words of robert palmer "some guys get all the luck"
Three studs snapped on mine and put it off the road for a day.  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Anonymous

whey hey  s:D :D s:D   i'm now pre cat free thanks to edward carters recommendation of an excellent garage in aldridge wasall and a very nice mechanic called bob
  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Well I removed the pre-cats last weekend, no broken studs or sheared bolts so I was well happy   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Went to Mr 'T' today at Beadles in Gillingham Kent to try and get a manifold gasket - now here's the rub.
Because my car is an import obviously it didn't appear on their computer, so mr parts man ( who was obviously suffering pmt or a hangover ) couldn't decide which of the two types of gasket I required   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  He asked me why I was taking the manifold off so I told him the story about pre - cats breaking up blah blah blah and he was having none of it.
He then took great pleasure in telling me the car would never pass an emisions test!!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:? :? s:?  
I know he is probably talking a load of 5h1t but can someone please re-assure me about this. Also does anyone know where I can buy these gaskets mail order - i'm not going back up there again - unhelpful or what.
Right lets get these suspension springs off  :wink
:  Andi

markiii

it will pass fine, just give them teh part number, it doesn' matter wether they no teh car or not
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tags: