Precat removal - How I did it...

Started by GSB, April 14, 2004, 09:10

Comer

Quote from: "GSB"If you go to an exhaust centre, they will extract it for you for a small fee, and you can then temporarily replace it with an M10 bolt for the journey to the Toyota dealer where you can get a new stud and nut, then back home for cat gutting and tea...

Will Kwik Fit   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   do this sort of bolt extraction then?  I couldn't find my 12mm socket and I've rounded off one fof the 4 manifold heatshield bolts using a crappy ring spanner   s:x :x s:x    There other 3 are fine but no amount of WD40 will help me now.
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

markiii

assuming the mole grips wont.

can try it later today if you want?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Comer

Mark I'll pop round in about an hour?
Michael

GSB

Is it out? If not you might try a nut splitter? very handy for rounded nuts...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Comer

It's out now after Mark's hard work, thanks again Mark.  He tried with various tools before we decided to cut the head of the bolt off with a Dremel and replace the heatshield (once sprayed) with only 3 bolts.  But for some reason after Mark was halfway through the bolt head with the Dremel, I suggested trying the socket again and it worked!!!

I've kept the bolt as I can't believe it came out in one very battered piece.
Michael

Anonymous

Using a 22mm O2 sensor socket

Where can I buy one of these?

GSB

Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

just ordered my 22mm sloted socket, cost £11.05 with shipping.

Thanks for the help.

Slacey

<MOD> Conversation regarding Jon's engine moved to here...... </MOD>
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Tem

I had a bit of an issue with the manifold-cat bolts. They all opened pretty nicely (no wonder really, since they had only been on for ~500 miles), but two of them opened as "a bolt", while the nut opened in the 3rd one and the "bolt" was left in the manifold.

Should I be worried about that, or does it make any difference at all?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

GSB

Makes no difference Tem, they just open what ever thread has least resistance.

dieamond

Just to be sure :
can somebody confirms that removing them doesn't make the car run louder ?

I currently have a TRD header, and with my Remus exhaust, the sound is too high for my wife  s:-( :-( s:-(

I'm thinking of putting back my stock header but I really fear pre cat failure (especially with track use), and would prefer to gut them.

GSB said there was no increase, but da monkey said the opposite.

I would like to know, as I can't cancel this once done.

Thank you.
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia
JUN - Racing Gear - APR Performance - HKS - Apexi - Project Mu - Trial

GSB

On my car its probabley slightly louder now. Hard to say really, but its certainly changed the sound, its far more raw than it used to be, with pops and crackles now and then. Different... but I've had no complaints from my lady.

Of course if you want a good home for that TRD header...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Liz

Running mine with the A'PEXi and the H & S, mine is alot louder, so much so that people that know the car have commented on it and asked what I have had done.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Slacey

Mine is slightly louder, but not outrageously so.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Tem

Quote from: "dieamond"Just to be sure :
can somebody confirms that removing them doesn't make the car run louder ?

I currently have a TRD header, and with my Remus exhaust, the sound is too high for my wife  s:-( :-( s:-(

Cat=Muffler

Things will get louder, if you remove a cat. I suppose a catless stock header should sound about the same as a TRD header...

markiii

I would argue boomier than teh TRD as you have 2 resonance chambers.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

dieamond

The main problem (I've had it with the PPE ehader, so I think the Remus exhaust is just not header compliant :p) is a very bass loud sound around 3000 RPM which disturbs her...

I'm really affraid that it will be the same with a gutted stock header  s:-( :-( s:-(
The sound on liz car, which has an aftermarket exhaust goes in this direction...

GSB > you can find TRD headers for a good price somewhere close to me  s;-) ;-) s;-)
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia

Tem

Quote from: "dieamond"a very bass loud sound around 3000 RPM which disturbs her...

Then keep revving above that and if she nags, tell her she wanted it  s8) 8) s8)

Problem solved  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

dieamond

Thanks Tem   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "dieamond"The main problem (I've had it with the PPE ehader, so I think the Remus exhaust is just not header compliant :p) is a very bass loud sound around 3000 RPM which disturbs her...

I have the Remus, (but still have pre-cats..   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  ) and it makes a fantastic very loud bass sound at about 1600 rpm.. which co-incidentally is almost exactly 30mph in 4th gear!   s8) 8) s8)

I'm just hoping it'll get louder when I eventually gut my pre-cats!

Tim

Anonymous

Yup, definately louder on mine, but definately in a good way.......  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

dieamond

Quote from: "c_a_r_t_e_r"I'm just hoping it'll get louder when I eventually gut my pre-cats!

You will  :-) :-) :-)

Sound is really beautifull with a freed header

Anonymous

Hi everyone,
I am new to your website and after reading all the information written about the precat problem, I decided to take the proactive approach and remove mine early on. My spyder is an 03 with 1555 miles on it.

I used the detained instructiions written here and everything came apart quite easily. I did have to use an off-set 12mm wrench for the upper left-hand nut on the exhaust manifold ( A deep-well socket will not fit in there). I used lots of PB Blaster on the nuts/bolts and let this sit awhile before I started. Pretty easy job, if I can do it most anyone can.

I was really suprised at how easily the material crumbled when I was gutting the thing. Scarry!!!! Maybe Toyota could put a wire mesh screen on both ends of the precat. That may help some but given the fact that this material crumbles into very small particles, the screen may not help either.

I took my spyder on a short (95 mile, country roads, 100-110 mph) test drive after I finished and I noticed that the car did seem to breathe/tach easier. The exhaust note is a little louder and to my ears quite pleasent.

Since this mod was done on a new car I will keep everyone posted on how things turn out.

Again, thanks everyone.
Ron

Anonymous

Right, who wants to gut my pre-cats for me?  

I have no mechanical knowledge, non of the apparatus and a good awfull fear of ruining my car.

I'm willing to pay.

go on, who wants it?

Tags: