Rattling noise?

Started by weejc, September 18, 2011, 23:14

weejc

Hi,
Looking for some advice, I've got a noise rear driver side which sounds like keys rattling loudly, mainly when I turn right.
My mechanic is trying replacing my brake pads. Got new pads and a shims kit from CTP, but the rear driver side inner pad is very loose!
Mechanic thinks there might need to be a spring clip on the inside (there's one on the outside which the outer pad clips into) also the new brake pads have little holes on the top of them, do they require some sort of clip/spring to lock in? or are these just generic pads which can be used with some different models?
While the pads where getting fitted the handbrake cable stuck on the rear drivers side (this was replaced with a new one less than 6 months ago) so I've been driving for a few days without a handbrake.
He's re-connecting this tomorrow, and we're hoping when he reconnects everything back up my rattling will be gone and the brake pad will tighten.
Any ideas?

John

Wabbitkilla

There should be a spring at each end of the pad as it sits in the bearer, I can imagine the pad would rattle around a bit without them in place. Not sure about holes ... you'd need to show pictures so we have a clear idea of what you're describing. There should be two protrusions on the back pad that locate in the piston which allows the handbrake mechanism to work properly.

It's pretty off to have such trouble with the handbrake cable!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

weejc

Hi Wabbitkilla

Thanks for reply

QuoteNot sure about holes ... you'd need to show pictures

There are two small possibly 2/3mm going in where the red arrows point going in from the top.
Haven't seen them on other pads images.
Just ordered this brake pad kit from  m http://www.thehappymotorist.co.uk/apec_ ... p?vid=2411 m

Hopefully this will help secure the pad. I'll pass on the info re: spring at each end of the pad as it sits in the bearer for him too check.
It's weird how the passenger side one doesn't rattle or move. So I'm assuming somethings missing.

Cheers
John

weejc

Meant too mention the holes go straight in, not at an angle.

Tags: