Manifold Heatshield Bolts

Started by Comer, April 14, 2004, 16:07

Comer

It's really a question for Mark (before I remove the bolts myself) but if anyone else knows from doing the same mod then feel free.....

I'm looking to replace the heatshield bolts when I paint it and I know from Mark's article that they are 8mm but what lengths are they?  

I may go down the same route and buy some from Halfords and shorten two of them but I haven't got a Dremel and my dexterity with power tools is dangerous  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

If I get exact sizes then I will be ordering stainless steel bolts from Screwfix and you get a packet of 10 for about £2 so there will be plenty going free for anyone else who wants them.

Cheers
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

markiii

definately get teh stainless ones. I thought mine were but was wrong. They have now corroded.

I'll measuure the lengths  tonight and let you know.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Comer

Thanks Mark.  I'm being lazy but I'm hoping to get all the bits together before removing and spraying the heatshield.
Michael

Slacey

I'll bung you for some if you get quantities Michael...
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

markiii

the 2 on teh top are 25mm, thats not including the head, 30mm if you do.

teh shorter 2 are about half that, I cut mine as I couldn't get them anywhere.

I never though of screwfix though I used them enough that I should have.

since writing teh article my paint has started to chip off. I'd suggest cleaning teh metal with cellulose thinners rather than teh white spirits I used as it has been suggested to me this may be teh reason.

and use teh higest heat paint you can find.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "markiii"since writing the article my paint has started to chip off. I'd suggest cleaning the metal with cellulose thinners rather than the white spirits I used as it has been suggested to me this may be the reason

How about sugar soap? Also available from Screwfix:
 m http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/sea ... gar%20Soap m

Comer

Quote from: "Slacey"I'll bung you for some if you get quantities Michael...

No probs Sean, there'll be freebies   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Michael

Tem

I don't see any reason why the bolts would have to be cut...there's just air behind them. I installed clearly longer ones than the stock and couldn't think of any reason why I shouldn't...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

markiii

an intresting point Tem, at teh tiem teh manifold hadn't been off and I assumed the holes had a bac, thinking abnout ti your probably right.

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Comer"If I get exact sizes then I will be ordering stainless steel bolts from Screwfix and you get a packet of 10 for about £2 so there will be plenty going free for anyone else who wants them.

Yes please   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Comer

Leave it to me  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Michael

Slacey

Quote from: "Tem"I don't see any reason why the bolts would have to be cut...there's just air behind them. I installed clearly longer ones than the stock and couldn't think of any reason why I shouldn't...
That's what I thought but it's not the case.. the only one with 'fresh air' behind it is the top left bolt - all the others need to be the correct size or they foul on the downpipes themselves  s:( :( s:(
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Tem

Quote from: "Slacey"all the others need to be the correct size or they foul on the downpipes themselves  s:( :( s:(

Are you sure...? I didn't see that problem...

(of course I wasn't using XXL bolts, but only about 1cm longer)

Comer

Screwfix sell Stainless Steel M8 x 30, M8 x 20 and M8 x 16 so fingers crossed I can get some that don't need cutting.

I'm putting together an order with house DIY stuff too so it may not be until the weekend before I order.  They've also got some 'Plasti-kote' black heatproof spraypaint too (to 425C).
Michael

markiii

needs to be higher than that.

650 or so.

preferablly higher. Halfords do black exhauist paint good to 750

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"and use the higest heat paint you can find.
i`ve used 800°C paint, "Dupli Color" after drying one hour i put it in the oven and let them burn in one Hour by 200°C.

All things that have the Size for the oven walk trough it after a paint job  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   the best way to make the paint durable.  s:idea: :idea: s:idea:

Tem

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "Slacey"all the others need to be the correct size or they foul on the downpipes themselves  s:( :( s:(

Are you sure...? I didn't see that problem...

(of course I wasn't using XXL bolts, but only about 1cm longer)

Just took the cover off and paid some special attention to those. There's tons of space behind the two upper bolt holes. Same for the other lower hole, while the other can "only" take an inch or so longer bolt.

Definitely no need to get exactly same size bolts as the stock ones  s8) 8) s8)

Comer

Right I've ordered the bolts and I'm hoping to get the paint soon but one final probably very dumb question....

Is it ok to drive the without the heatshield in place?  Or will the heat from the manifold has consequences for the wiring that's leads to the O2 sensors?

The reason I ask is that I'm hoping to spray a number of light coats on the heatshield and may leave it off the car for a few days.
Michael

markiii

should be fine.

GSB

Make sure your very careful not to cross thread them when you put them back in, they seem to only give you one chance, as I've just this minute found out...  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   I hate exhaust's.  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Now, where's that drill...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "Comer"Is it ok to drive the without the heatshield in place?

I drove around few days without the heatshield and the compartment didn't get that hot...and no signs of anything on the wires. I have removed the drip tray though, which makes a huge difference...

I'd be very careful, if you still have the drip tray on.

crankshaft

This maybe over the top, but is anyone interested in polished chrome hex head (allen key) bolts with a chrome washer to cover up the 25mm dia rusty inserts on the heatshield, either engraved with the MR2 eagle & the words Midships Runaround (or MR2ROC) and filled with hi temp red paint or engraved with your registration number or name ??
2001 SMT - Pete

Tags: