Official: I did something bad in a past life :(

Started by dcod, September 27, 2011, 13:32

dcod

Since going through the trauma of my 1zz magically making oil vanish, I bit the bullet and went for a 2zz swap. After 3000 mls of wonderful motoring, the engine sounded a bit ticky. Checked the oil, 1/4 full! Came to terms with the fact that I'd bought an oil burner. Changed my oil at 3500 mls. Checked the oil 500 mls later, 1/4 full!!! WTF!!

Questions:
1) Is the 2zz known for this?
2) Why is there no smoke at all? (obviously no precats, a sport cat you can see straight through!, no oily water, no oil on the ground)
3) What is my next step?
4) How is the wife going to take it?

In the immortal words of Rik Mayall, "Fate deals me blow after blow. Who'd be me?  s:( :( s:( "
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Ilogik

mine stays all the way full, what dip-stick did you use on your swap? Did you have a leak down test carried out when you bought the engine?
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Anonymous

2zz can have same issues as the 1zz. fingers crossed its not ovalbore mate

dcod

Quote from: "Ilogik"mine stays all the way full, what dip-stick did you use on your swap? Did you have a leak down test carried out when you bought the engine?

Dipstick looks exactly the same as the 1zz. Is yours different? BTW, I took the car to a good garage just to make sure it wasn't me reading it wrong!

Got the engine from a breakers in London, cat D, supposedly done 29,000mls ... my bad  s:( :( s:(
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

dcod

Quote from: "rbuckingham"2zz can have same issues as the 1zz. fingers crossed its not ovalbore mate

I've never read that. I've only read about the oil pump explosions.

dcod

A quote from another forum:

"if your car has the 2zz engine the pcv system is known for 'coking' up and causing a oil consumption issue , causes high crankcase pressure and pushes oil past the rings into the cylinders thus burning the oil and coking the engine"

Here is a little write up about the PCV systems :

m http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h63.pdf m

Does anyone know about these things or am I on a wind goose chase?

loadswine

Did the installers do any checks on the engine prior or during the install? I would have thought it was a good idea unless you knew the accurate history of the car it came from.
Might be an idea to check that out before anything else and get a compression test done as well.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

dcod

Quote from: "loadswine"Did the installers do any checks on the engine prior or during the install? I would have thought it was a good idea unless you knew the accurate history of the car it came from.
Might be an idea to check that out before anything else and get a compression test done as well.

Had a compression test done when I had the oil changed (500mls ago), 201, 202, 215 and 215.

Car was fine for the first 2-3000mls.

Yes, in hindsight, I would have every check done that was humanly possible. Unfortunately, I'm human and was desperate to get my car sorted when my 1zz engine became an oil addict after 9 years of absolutely trouble free motoring.  s:( :( s:(

Sorry if I sound angry.

loadswine

Might be worth checking the PCV out then, you never know, it might be that if it was okay before. Let's hope its something simple and cheap to fix.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

Quote from: "dcod"A quote from another forum:

"if your car has the 2zz engine the pcv system is known for 'coking' up and causing a oil consumption issue , causes high crankcase pressure and pushes oil past the rings into the cylinders thus burning the oil and coking the engine"

Here is a little write up about the PCV systems :

m http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h63.pdf m

Does anyone know about these things or am I on a wind goose chase?

worth a look as it could save you a penny if it is.

dcod

Yeah, I'll try the cheap options first. Not going to rush into anything.

Drove home with my roof down in this glorious sunshine to take my mind off it. Worked for about 5 minutes then had to follow a car for the next 10 minutes with the reg OIL 916 !!! Aaaaargh!

dcod

Ooh, just found another one ... but this taks about the 1zz! Interresting ...

m http://www.paradiseplace.org.uk/Celica/c7PCV.htm m

Anonymous

very interesting you might have found a cause to why build up happens on the rings and causes ovalbore, which it turns makes the engine burn oil, which causes precat breakup and block mains and eats engines.

in fact i still got my old oil burner so ill check it and see if its blocked. if all the oil burners have these valves blocked and the non oil burners valves are ok we might have found the root of all probs and helps people find out which ones burn oil and which ones dont.

Anonymous

valve was very dirty but still working however did rattle more once clean.

Ilogik

I just hope they haven't sold you one of them  sshit shit sshit ty recon'd units, did it have everything with it mate?

Mike_V

Interesting topic, mine will be off in the morning for a check!
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

dcod

Quote from: "rbuckingham"very interesting you might have found a cause to why build up happens on the rings and causes ovalbore, which it turns makes the engine burn oil, which causes precat breakup and block mains and eats engines.

in fact i still got my old oil burner so ill check it and see if its blocked. if all the oil burners have these valves blocked and the non oil burners valves are ok we might have found the root of all probs and helps people find out which ones burn oil and which ones dont.

I started thinking the same thing the more I read! Wasn't confident enough to say anything though.

If you Google it, some people recommend them to be replaced every 30k! Another guy bought a new one from Toyota for 3-$6 but can't believe it would be quite that cheap.

dcod

Quote from: "Mike_V"Interesting topic, mine will be off in the morning for a check!

Had a funny feeling I'd be seeing this   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

dcod

Quote from: "Ilogik"I just hope they haven't sold you one of them  sshit shit sshit ty recon'd units, did it have everything with it mate?

Engine came with everything all together. You could see that it had been crudely cut out!

dcod

Quote from: "rbuckingham"valve was very dirty but still working however did rattle more once clean.

If dirty, it could have been sticking occasionally ...

Ilogik

Ahh ok then, weird its burning oil. I have a monkey wrench racing dipstick tube, which is an oem part, if they didn't use a stock part then they will have customised it. Maybe its too long, but if it was reading fine before its deffo burning oil.

Anonymous

Quote from: "dcod"
Quote from: "rbuckingham"valve was very dirty but still working however did rattle more once clean.

If dirty, it could have been sticking occasionally ...

yep it wasnt that bad of oil burner i just mainly wanted the new engine in   s:D :D s:D  

just got to see what others are like. melbee, ktm_rider's old car would be good to find out on theres condition as they are on high consumption

dcod

Just read this quick PCV valve test for those who may not have any tools available :

1. Start engine and allow to reach operating temperature.
2. Allow engine to stabalise at idle.
3. Pinch or block hose between PCV valve and vaccum source.
4. Engine should drop around 50 rpm. If engine does not change, check PCV valve and hoses for blockages.

Toplesscouple

I'll be checking my valve at the weekend. Weather permitting. Got to be worth giving a clean with brake/carb cleaner anyway. Do it the same time you do the MAF maybe. Good find   s:D :D s:D  

Maybe D1ckski could check a few of the ones he must have.

Anonymous

I can take em to bits, but dont know where to find the PCV. Ive got 3 here I can check if someone gives me a clue.

Tags: