Official: I did something bad in a past life :(

Started by dcod, September 27, 2011, 13:32

E

D!ck just go to the link, all will be clear.

Quote from: "dcod"Ooh, just found another one ... but this taks about the 1zz! Interresting ...

m http://www.paradiseplace.org.uk/Celica/c7PCV.htm m

Anonymous

Thanks Ian, Ill have a butchers.

iPap

I'll cheek mine later as I've had a new short block and rebuilt the top end myself. That said 3,500 miles since rebuild and not used a drop of oil yet.
2001, Black MR2, Elise Leather Seats, Aircon and Factory TTE Kit, BC Coilovers, SP Brace, Corkys Front Brace, Devs\' Front Bushes, Rebuilt Toyota 1ZZ Engine, Head and Six Speed Box, Cobra Twin Exhaust, Decat Manifold, Short Shift and Solid Bushes, etc...

Ilogik

it wasn't the engine from Nippon was it. Have seen quite a few poo boxes being sold on ebay. I got quite lucky, but there was a lot of junk around, making me think at the time that a 2zz swap was not as easy as people make out.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

dcod

Quote from: "Ilogik"it wasn't the engine from Nippon was it. Have seen quite a few poo boxes being sold on ebay. I got quite lucky, but there was a lot of junk around, making me think at the time that a 2zz swap was not as easy as people make out.

Nippon? sorry but don't know what you mean. Is it a Japanese import company?

Just found a DIY guide to changing the PCV valve on a 2zz.

m http://www.diymytoyota.com/corolla/2zz- ... pcv-valve/ m
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

dcod

Quote from: "iPap"I'll cheek mine later as I've had a new short block and rebuilt the top end myself. That said 3,500 miles since rebuild and not used a drop of oil yet.

One day I'll have enough money for a second car and be able do that sort of level of maintenence myself.

Are you a mechanic by trade? If not, good for you! Nice job.   s:) :) s:)
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

dcod

Checked my PCV valve and it rattled like a baby. So back to pulling my hair out.  s:( :( s:(

Quickly spoke to Rogue and they suggested vavle stem seal, piston etc. They said they would need to do tests such as a leak down test (as mentioned by Ilogik). They are now very busy as they are off to Silverstone from tomorrow to the 4th. I will probably book my car in with them to get it checked out at a later date.

On a more positive note, I've just been informally offered a job that's £6500 more than I'm currently on.   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

MelBee42

Quote from: "rbuckingham"yep it wasnt that bad of oil burner i just mainly wanted the new engine in   s:D :D s:D  

just got to see what others are like. melbee, ktm_rider's old car would be good to find out on theres condition as they are on high consumption

I'd happily check but I wouldn't know what I was looking for or at!

Anonymous

I checked one today, seemed fine from a 95000 miler. Dont think its a burner though. Not even dirty.
Ill check KTM Riders old car tomorrow. Ill be stripping the engine and box out in the pm.

K T M Rider

somebody mention me?   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

Anonymous

Im gonna check out yr PRV! Hope youve given it a good wash!  s:) :) s:)

krazysteve

Read this tonite when i got in from work, just been out and cleaned it.

It was dirty, now rattles freely.
I hope this was the main reason for the high oil use. ( only when i drove it, when the missus uses it not so bad)
I will update in a week or so if any better.
RACING, because football, cricket, rugby and golf only need ONE BALL

iPap

Quote from: "dcod"
Quote from: "iPap"I'll cheek mine later as I've had a new short block and rebuilt the top end myself. That said 3,500 miles since rebuild and not used a drop of oil yet.

One day I'll have enough money for a second car and be able do that sort of level of maintenance myself.

Are you a mechanic by trade? If not, good for you! Nice job.   s:) :) s:)

I had to take mine off the road for three weeks, luckily I have a bike.

I had my mechanic do the heavy work but I did the top end to save money as it was labour intensive. I helped him in my spare time as I lost my job at News Of The World when they shut down. I probably could have done it all if I had a ramp.

The only thing that was a problem was losing my job two weeks after buying all the new parts, totaling £1.5k before any labour. And since then, there was the coilovers and lots of other small bits to try and rid the car of the dreaded shakes/vibration at all speeds but... I can't cure it.

I've spent more money on this car than I paid for it and I still don't enjoy driving it like I should or did when I had a brand new one in 2000. I've got a minute buckle in a wheel and my new front disc is warped to a less than half a mm in 1000 miles so that needs replacing again. Then it's back to hunting down the vibration again. When will it end...

I hope yours sorts itself soon.
2001, Black MR2, Elise Leather Seats, Aircon and Factory TTE Kit, BC Coilovers, SP Brace, Corkys Front Brace, Devs\' Front Bushes, Rebuilt Toyota 1ZZ Engine, Head and Six Speed Box, Cobra Twin Exhaust, Decat Manifold, Short Shift and Solid Bushes, etc...

Anonymous

Sounds like your struggling there, ipap. Ive got some good discs  and standard front wheels. 1 wheel plus pair of discs, £50 incl pnp. Any good?

dcod

Quote from: "iPap"The only thing that was a problem was losing my job two weeks after buying all the new parts, totaling £1.5k before any labour. And since then, there was the coilovers and lots of other small bits to try and rid the car of the dreaded shakes/vibration at all speeds but... I can't cure it.

I've spent more money on this car than I paid for it and I still don't enjoy driving it like I should or did when I had a brand new one in 2000. I've got a minute buckle in a wheel and my new front disc is warped to a less than half a mm in 1000 miles so that needs replacing again. Then it's back to hunting down the vibration again. When will it end...

I hope yours sorts itself soon.

Thanks mate. Checked steering UJ? Ball joints? Wheel bearings? Not a mechanic so I'm not much use really. Good luck to you though.

K T M Rider

Quote from: "dick2ski"I'm gonna check out yr PRV! Hope youve given it a good wash!  s:) :) s:)

PRV immaculate honest Guv, just the rest of the car that had seen better days.

I reckon it"ll be so clean you"ll be able to drink your afternoon coffee out of it   s:) :) s:)
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

dcod

Quote from: "KTM_RIDER"PRV immaculate honest Guv, just the rest of the car that had seen better days.

I reckon it"ll be so clean you"ll be able to drink your afternoon coffee out of it   s:) :) s:)

Doesn't seem to be a prime suspect for oil burning. However, I think the valve is certainly something that should be maintained for peace of mind especially as it is something that is so easy to do.

dcod

Still reading more about the PVC system and oil consumption. Found another article about specifies the pipe aswell as the valve. Just a warning that your valve may be fine but if there is a blockage in the pipe to it then it's still not going to work properly. Here is the simple test as mentioned earlier which is also mentioned in this article (but slightly different) :

1. Start engine and allow to reach operating temperature.
2. Allow engine to stabalise at idle.
3. Pinch or block hose between PCV valve and vaccum source.
4. Engine should drop around 50 rpm. If engine does not change, check PCV valve and hoses for blockages.

and from this article:

"If you have a tachometer, then set the motor at a smooth idle speed, take note of what the engine RPM is, next remove the hose from the ventilation valve, block up the hose with a suitable plug so its not sucking air, now check your tachometer, if the RPM has dropped by 50 RPM or more, then the crankcase ventilation system OK.
However if the RPM drops Less than 50 RPM, then I'd say it's properly partially blocked, may even be fully clogged up,
So it will need to be pulled apart and cleaned properly, a simple process, if it looks faulty ,then buy a new one
Don't forget to recheck it again, as the hose could be blocked as well, also the check the end of the hoses make sure there not sucking in air"

m http://holdenpaedia.oldholden.com/Exces ... onsumption m

dcod

UPDATE

I've now done 500 more miles ... NO OBVIOUS OIL LOSS!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

All I did was clean my PCV valve which appeared to rattle ok but rattled a little more after cleaning.

I shall, of course, be continuing to monitor the situation.

dcod

UPDATE:

Had my oil changed (due to degredation), installed new PCV valve (peace of mind) and had my PCV hose checked for blockages. When having this done, it appears that I have had some oil 'weep' from my sump and head gasket!   s:( :( s:(  

QUESTION:

Is there any way that crankcase pressure could cause oil to be pushed through the head gasket? Sump I can understand but head gasket?   s:? :? s:?  

QuoteAt higher engine speeds, blowby gases increase crankcase pressure that can cause oil leakage from sealed engine surfaces

m http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h63.pdf m

loadswine

Are you sure its the head gasket, the timing chain tensioner cover is a prime candidate for a bit of seepage. See a lot of those let oil by.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

dcod

Quote from: "loadswine"Are you sure its the head gasket, the timing chain tensioner cover is a prime candidate for a bit of seepage. See a lot of those let oil by.

That's what my mechanic told me. Do you know if this is the same for a 2zz? (I'll probably research it anyway).

Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely check on that.   s:) :) s:)

dcod

UPDATE:

Ok, so 500 mls and still no oil loss.

I took my car into Rogue to get the engine tested and looked over. Firstly it appears that the oil is coming from the bottom pulley (crank?) and is probably an oil seal. The oil seems to have been whipped up the engine making it look like it's coming from the head gasket   s:D :D s:D  . It's possible the seal may have been compromised by the pressure in the engine. Rogue couldn't confim or deny this so it's still just my thought.

A compression test and leak down test was peformed which confirmed it's not the head gasket but there did appear to be leakage down into the crank. Apparently, this could be due to either a score in the bore   s:( :( s:(   or aligned gaps in the rings (this can happen as rings twist around the cylinders).

For now, it's just a case of monitoring and hope it stays as it is. I shall get the oil seal replaced at some point though.

Toplesscouple

Quote from: "dcod"A compression test and leak down test was peformed which confirmed it's not the head gasket but there did appear to be leakage down into the crank. Apparently, this could be due to either a score in the bore   s:( :( s:(   or aligned gaps in the rings (this can happen as rings twist around the cylinders).

For now, it's just a case of monitoring and hope it stays as it is. I shall get the oil seal replaced at some point though.

Could it be the rings sticking in the piston grooves? Same as happens on some early 1ZZ engines.

Anonymous

I had a bad oil leak under load from behind the bottom pulley,my mechanic fixed it with a new seal.

Tags: