Headlight refurb

Started by ayresyboy, September 30, 2011, 15:40

ayresyboy

Hi all,

Just split one of my headlights apart to get the 'ol wet n dry on the big clear lens followed by some plastic polish.

Anyone know where I can get a clear version of the below lens:

SW20 Gen4 Turbo // SW20 1MZ V6

AmeR

Just leave it out and put a silver bulb in that flashes Amber.

Peter Wright

Quote from: "ayresyboy"

Anyone know where I can get a clear version of the below lens:

I threw mine away, just buy silver coated amber bulbs, if you buy amber bulbs it will still look amber
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

ayresyboy

Great! Thanks guys.  Where's the best place to buy the silver coated amber bulbs?

AmeR

eBay or halfords or the t'inteywebs

Pop the current bulb's type code in to some searches on them and that will give you a starting point

Chris H

would like to see the end result of your re-furb...........hope it
cost you slightly less than andymk3.....  s:) :) s:)  
how did you get your's apart...gas/electric or heat-gun......

AmeR

Cleaned mine up the other day without opening them up:

Not bad for 10 year old headlights I'd say!! But now they're all boxed away and forgotten about!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

They look fine! What product/method did you use pease Paul?

AmeR

A good wipe down with some soapy water, dried off with a towel, then buffed on some G3 compound (keeping the surface damp with a squirty bottle!!), and then buffed them off with another cloth!!

Really pleased with them! A shame they got boxed up for storage straight after really!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Im going to have a headlamp day next week. Got a few that need a rub.

Ive got some good ones too, If anyone is interested, off the two 2s Im currently breaking. Hint, Hint!!  s:) :) s:)

ayresyboy

Bit hard to tell, but this is after a soapy wash and G3...

Needs a bit more work and some polish methinks

ayresyboy

Not as good as AmeR's I reckon, but a good improvement nonetheless!

I went three rounds with G3, then used furniture polish.  I only used G3 on the outside.  Then back it went in the oven to heat up the sealant and pressed the plastic back on.  Notice I left the amber cap off.  I bought a silver coated amber bulb from Halfords (code 581S).  I also bought a Halfords Ultimate Brilliance bulb (code 472).  We'll see the comparison as I have left the other headlight untouched.  Now to put it all back on the car!

ayresyboy

Unfortunately bought the wrong silver coated amber bulb  s:-( :-( s:-(  I'm sure it's 581 for a 2000 Roadster, but the one I got has the wrong connection.

AmeR

The remaining Amber bit looks like the car has sleep in the corner of it's eye!!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
Looks much better/meaner without in my opinion!!

ayresyboy

After all that, I have come to the conclusion that unless you want to get inside and remove the amber cap, you can just use the G3 cutting compound paste straight onto the front of the lens and it works a treat.  Just remember to use water with it so you don't scratch it too much.

Anonymous

That looks ace! Should be in the how tos. Well done lads.  s:) :) s:)

Mike_V

I like that! If anyone has a set of prefacelift lights with the amber cover removed please let me know as I have no time to take them to bits.
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

Anonymous

Ill do some for you Mike. Got a few here. Ill do a px if your need a refurb.

Mike_V

Quote from: "dick2ski"Ill do some for you Mike. Got a few here. Ill do a px if your need a refurb.

Done deal, Mine are fine but I want to do away with the amber cover, let me know when you have them ready  s:) :) s:)
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

Anonymous

Ill try to fit it in this week.
Cheers.

Chris H

would like to know how peep's are getting on with the headlight
re-furbs.......  s:P :P s:P

Anonymous

Heres a couple Ive done.

Chris H

WOW......fantastic d!ck...espescially like the one with the amber
         indicator cover removed.....great job........are you doing
         a part exchange on these......  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

I can, and if you pop round Ill fit them for you as well. Just tell me what you need.

StuC

Quote from: "dick2ski"I can, and if you pop round Ill fit them for you as well. Just tell me what you need.

Is it possible for you to be any more helpful? lol
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Tags: