Exhaust (I think) Rattle at 3k Revs

Started by w00dhead, October 4, 2011, 10:51

w00dhead

Just looking to see if anybody has any ideas...

On tick over (cold or hot) exhaust is fine. When driving (normally) and working thru the gears there is a rattling noise that tends to appear between 2.5 and 3k revs only. If I hold the car on 2.5 to 3k revs the rattle is continuous. When the car is stationary and you press the throttle pedal there is no rattle at all...

Had a poke round and exhaust and all looks good; solid and in reasonable condition for its age. Even took it to local garage and asked them to have a look - turns out the first guy who took it out couldn't hear it which makes me think I'm being paranoid (which prob comes from reading all the post in this section) but then second grease monkey did. Their diagnosis was that it was just normal exhaust acoustics for a unit of its age and while it could be replaced he wouldn't recommend it "it's good for a few more miles so why change it"

Roof up or roof down its audible to me and its starting to drive me bananas...!

95k miles on the clock, '03, all standard, MOT last June and passed with flying colours having done maybe no more than 300 mile in the last 12mths. Does need a service tho

Anonymous

There are heatshields all along the exhaust system, which will resonate at certain frequencies, or revs. One of the heatshields is probably loose and will need a, bending; b restraining with a pipe clip: c, removing.
If you remove the two plastic undertrays and give each heatshield a tap, the loose one or ones will be obvious. Get some cable ties to help refix the plastic trays as the 10mm bolts that hold them on usually snap off. Pound shop or Halfrauds for the clips and ties.

AmeR

Heatshield around the cat I'd say at those revs.
D!ck's words are wise - follow them (but only this time!!  s:D :D s:D  )

dcod

Quote from: "AmeR"Heatshield around the cat I'd say at those revs.
D!ck's words are wise - follow them (but only this time!!  s:D :D s:D  )

+1

My cat heatshield rattled at about 2500. Jubilee clip time.   s:D :D s:D
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

ao30

What kind of size jubilee clips are needed for the heatshield fix?

stargazer30

I have the same really annoying rattle.  I really hope its the cat as the cat is going bye bye next week   s8) 8) s8)    Sports cat ready to go on!
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

ao30

Anybody know the size of jubilee clip needed for the heatshield?

ao30

Is it safe to remove the flexi pipe heat shield and the cat heat shield? ie-all possible heat shields to ensure the rattles go?!

Jay67

i just got rid of the cat heat shields, was sorting the engine mounts out and noticed the shields were mainly jubilee clips with small sections of rust between them
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

dan944

I have a similar problem but it turns to a squeak as if metal on metal rubbing. Checked the heat shields but nothing. This has started since I put a stainless manifold on. Any ideas?
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

ao30

Quote from: "Jay67"i just got rid of the cat heat shields, was sorting the engine mounts out and noticed the shields were mainly jubilee clips with small sections of rust between them

Do you mean ALL of the cat heat shield, or just the bit nearer the flexi pipe that often rattles?..as the shield around the actual cat seems very solid and like a pain to remove! How did you remove whatever part/s you got rid of?!  s:) :) s:)  Cheers

ao30

I have tried the usual fixes for the heat shield rattle using clips etc but although it improves it, I haven't managed to completely get rid of it. The rattle seems to be coming from the main cat heatshield as when the engine is cold and I push the top and bottom sections together it goes. Question is....can you grid the whole heatshield/s around there completely off..and if so, can this be done with the cat still on the car?

Thanks

Wabbitkilla

Yes certainly, PeteT did this when it became apparent the heat shields were beyond stopping the rattles.
It doesn't seem to cause any problems.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

PeteT

As Nic said, we did it to my car as nothing we did would stop the rattle.
I did many 1000`s of mile like this with no issues, we had to remove the cat from the car to do it. We used an angle grinder too as some of the bolts were too corroded to remove using sockets.
Pete

Tags: