YOKOHAMA UNDERSTEER

Started by nymets, October 12, 2011, 12:08

nymets

Hi all.
I recently changed my tyres to the standard Yokohama's that are fitted to the facelifted MR2 from new. When I bought the car it had three different makes of tyres on it, including Marshall tyres!? Anyway, since I changed to the standard factory tyres the car seems to understeer more, especially in the wet, and not be quite as responsive regarding the steering. The tyre pressures are set to the handbook, and I wondered if this is indeed how the car is meant to handle, since I only really have experience with the old tyres. I know the pre-facelift car had slight understeer on turn in, so it could just be that the facelifted one does too.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

dcod

How many miles have these tyres done? Most, if not all, need bedding in.

Car should have mild understeer followed by oversteer if pushed harder.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Stephster

I have a set of Yokohamas, my car is pre-facelift, but have never had any problems like that. Maybe I just don't drive it hard enough !
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !
Gone over to the dark side - 05 Black Z4 2.0i se with red leather.

dcod

Another thing, make sure you have your spare+jack in the front (the car needs this weight) and that your wind deflectors are still there (little lips hanging down in front of the front wheels).
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

nymets

Everything is in place. Spare wheel, wind deflectors, etc. tyres are bedded in, I suppose they've done about 1500 - 2000 miles.

dcod

Hmmmm, wheel alignment/tracking?

nymets

I'm not necessarily saying there is anything wrong with it, I'm just wondering if it  is meant to have some understeer as I only have some experience with the old tyres (turn in was really responsive, followed by oversteer accellerating out). I had the TTE lowering springs fitted as well, I suppose that could make a difference.

aaronjb

They did have a degree of understeer as standard (engineered in to try and stop people wrapping them around lampposts and earning the car a 'widowmaker' reputation) - you can trail brake quite heavily usually to point the nose in..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

dcod

The whole car seems to pivot around the engine, and in such a fluid way that nailing an apex becomes instinctive. If there is understeer it is easily quelled with a slight lift of the throttle, while a heavy right foot will load the rear of the car up beautifully out of a bend. The MR2 is not a car with which you take liberties, but over time you'll relish the thrill of mastering its tail-biased balance. Roger Green knows the little Toyota well and is smitten: 'Despite having driven several thousand miles in this car I'm far from bored of it because every time you drive the MR2 you learn another facet of its character. You have to drive it, too. It demands your concentration.'

m http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/cargrou ... 06_cc.html m

dcod

Tiff Needell - Top gear (Not fifth gear) toyota MR2 MRS review

dcod

Doh! that didn't work  s:( :( s:(

ekimq

Quote from: "dcod"Doh! that didn't work  s:( :( s:(

try:  m http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83RCDFg67zQ m
Mike
The sun is out, get your top off!

dcod

Thanks dude.

I'll try again with the correct ID string.

[youtube:25mergef]83RCDFg67zQ[/youtube:25mergef]

Tags: