Major powerloss that goes away

Started by Tem, April 15, 2004, 18:08

Tem

Uhm...I've had this twice now. When trying to accelerate normally from stop with 1st, the car kinda feels like it's on 3rd with handbrake on. First it feels like it's about to stall, but it doesn't...and keeping the gas pedal nearly floored, it does gain some speed, but very slowly.

Didn't really try it for any longer either time, but it takes like 3-5 seconds to reach 3000rpm (on 1st!). At that time I floored the clutch, gave it some gas and after that it's normal again. Doesn't light up any warning lights either.

Any ideas...?  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Is it just on part throttle or is it the same on wide open throttle?

Tem

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"Is it just on part throttle or is it the same on wide open throttle?

Both times I tried to take off with part throttle (like I normally do)...then when I realize the car's barely moving, I gave it more throttle. Probably ending with wide open or at least very close to it...

mph

strange - mine feels like that all the time: no power below 3000rpm, then fine after that...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

/unhelpful
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "mph"strange - mine feels like that all the time: no power below 3000rpm, then fine after that...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Oh I wish it was that in my case too  s:P :P s:P

Anonymous

Wonder if it might be an emissions thing. On my old Scoob if you held the revs for a certain amount of time at around 2.5-3k the ECU would go into some special mode which was used for emissions testing. As a result, planting your foot after this gave you virtually no power when your foot was planted. You had to either drop the revs or declutch and then it would pick up again. Made you look a complete arse if you held it there poised to nail it coming off roundabouts and nice bends   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Possibly something similar ??

Tem

I guess everything's possible...

The car idled for some time waiting for greens...I don't think it revved above 1000rpm before the car was moving though...

Anonymous

The other day i had a similar problem. I basically had hardly any acceleration but as soon as i floored it it shot forward.It turned out that my O2 sensor wiring had gone wrong so the ecu was getting no input from them so it was useless until it changed loop on W.O.T.

I didn't get a CEL for quite a while, but it did appear in the end, i assume the ECU waits a bit to see if it can correct it, when it can't up it comes. Yours probably isn't mis-behaving long enough to throw a CEL.

So after all this babble it could be an O2 problem.

Anonymous

Sorry, me being an arse   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Didn't realise it was when accelerating normal from stationary   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Tem

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"So after all this babble it could be an O2 problem.

That could be it...cause I've been checking the precats weekly since the blown engine. Maybe either sensor/connector is lose...

Anonymous

Next time it happens, just floor the throttle, if it accelerates ok then, i'd put my money on them or 1 being a problem. If it stayes the same it's time to think again.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

SteveJ

Does the engine mis-fire whilst this is happening - you describe the sensation as it feels like it is about to stall - is that a juddering sensation?

The reason I ask is because a couple of weeks ago I had (what I believe to be) an exhaust valve stick open for a while, with the result that the engine felt as though it was about to stall whilst at idle, and when trying to accelerate there was very little power. This was accompanied by what can only be described as a chuff-chuff noise at idle.

After giving the throttle a bit of stick (wide open for about 5 seconds), the valve started working properly again. This happened a second time a few days later whilst I was driving, and again keeping the throttle wide open for a few seconds kicked the valve back into life.

Touch-wood, this hasn't re-occured for more than 1000 miles, and there is no point reporting it to the dealer as no CEL was produced.

Tem

No signs of mis-firing...or anything other than the "handbrake-effect"...no shaking, juddering or any weird sounds.

By almost stalling I meant that when I normally raise the clutch and give some throttle, the revs rise and car lunches just fine. These two times the revs didn't rise, but fell to...I don't know...500rpm (cause I released the clutch assuming the revs would rise normally).

Tags: