tuning advice

Started by Anonymous, July 7, 2003, 11:03

Anonymous

I am looking at extracting a little extra performance from the "2" in a bid to further enhance the grin factor, or more specifically enhance the straight line speed a little
I would be wanting a gain of around 30bhp if possible, and was wondering what routes to follow to achieve this gain, as I am fully aware that the idea that a peco big bore backbox will be surplus to my requirements, is just a figment of the imagination
Of the types who frequent retail estate car parks etc!

Heres my input and I would appreciate anybodies comments or suggestions, any contacts would be helpful too

I assume that the engine management would have to be altered in someway along the lines of a superchip or dastek etc, which of these would me more suitable for the car/

An exhaust will probably be another suggestion that I get, but although I want something that sounds nice when the car is being driven a little harder, I don't want to have something that's going to be too loud and boomy, when I am negotiating my way to work,

Is a cat bypass a viable option?

Does the mr2 respond will to an induction kit, or will heat soak cause an adverse effect? If so are there any cold air induction kits on the market, or is a replacement panel filter the best option

Obviously this little lot isn't going to achieve my goals, so I think cams and headwork will also have to be carried out to get a step closer

But as I said I am open to any suggestions

Thanks in advance
Kev

Anonymous

Hi Kev

I have just ordered a K&N panel filter replacement from DCDezign (see the air filter element topic under performance), cost £40 including postage.
Read up on Hardcore's comments that the engine revs more freely and has a deeper sound on acceleration.

There are a lot of posts on exhaust relacements to a twin system. Not much extra bhp but again a much better sound.

Air induction systems or a re-chip could be the next step. Of course you could go berserk and have a turbo fitted (similar to mph's).

I think you are going to have stupendous fun investigating all the alternatives. No doubt some of the other members will come along soon with their observations.

s:) :) s:)    s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

rather than just putting an induction cone on the car, i would be looking at an enclosed induction kit, maybe some thing that has its intake fixed near one of the intake vents on the side of the car, and is enclosed all the way to the throttle body, to allow cold "outside" air to reach the engine, dont know whether any are readily available?
as for the exhaust, are there any aftermarket manifolds or cat bypass sections available, as exhaust wise this is where the gains can be.
i have heard people mention the dastek on here,
what sort of gains can be expected from fitting one of these coupled with other "basic" mods such as those mentioned above.

i dont want to produce a car with a huge bhp figure, rather a just a little more power without straying from toyotas original balance too much

although when i really think about it i dont want to throw away my warranty either, are there any tte components available that toyota aprrove??

mph

For +30bhp:

You'll be needing a Unichip - see thread  m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=60 m

The exhaust/cat combo is only restrictive at the higher levels of throughput - just a CAT bypass would be sufficient to get to +30, though you'll be messing with either conditioner or simulator electronics to prevent a CEL. The exhaust itself probably wouldn't release so much, maybe 2 or 3, but mainly only up the top end.

If you really want to go all the way, go off to PPE Engineering and get their 4-1 header and CAT bypass - that gets rid of the pre-CATs too. However you're messing with the O2 electronics again. Alternatively the very expensive TRD header is 4-2-1, so removes the CATs but leaves the O2s in place, and is a safer option for those not liking to mess with the O2s.

The stock airfilter doesn't need to be replaced, at least not for the performance you're looking at. Ambient conditions will effect performance far more than any of the off the shelf solutions out there.

There are no known performance metrics available for cam/head work. Unless you want to be the first, I'd steer well clear of that area. In anycase, in practical terms you're likely only to be able to improve the top end at the detriment of mid-range driveability.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

thanks for the help

so really i would only have to fit a dastek and i could see gains of 20bhp, i suppose a panel filter would noit go a miss, as they make quite a nice noise, (although the "2" does anyway imho)

couple of questions though

1, will i have to run the car un super unleaded constantly? and would there be any seroius damage if i was forced to use normal unleaded in an emergency?

2, will my warranty be effected?

3, i have read the posts regarding this and a lot of figures are given, but in real world terms is there a notable difference in performance

please could you post a link to a company able to carry out the work

thanks

Anonymous

A company that does head work in the UK is  m http://www.fensport.co.uk m
They claim good bhp figures but have no dyno sheet to back them up.....BUT look out as there is a member that is going to try them, and i'm sure when he has he'll post the results.

Answers to your questions
1. No, you don't have to it's best to keep in the tank whatever you use when its tuned, but it'll not cause serious damage if it's now and again

2. What a grey area this is. Depends on what you do, what's gone wrong, and what your Mr T garage thinks about it!

3. Hard for me to say i went from NA to turbo so i noticed a little bit more performance after that  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  but before that i changed my exhaust and i can honestly say it felt it had more pull.Add that with all the other bits you want to do and you'll really notice the difference.

Hope4Sun

Hi Kev, take alook at this post on spyderchat, it has some interesting info and dyno's. may help you in your quest  s:) :) s:)

m http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtop ... highlight= m

Good luck

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

mph

Quote from: "Blue 2"1, will i have to run the car un super unleaded constantly? and would there be any seroius damage if i was forced to use normal unleaded in an emergency?
Depends on how far they tune the engine. One suggestion is to have normal unleaded in the tank and tune to the very limit, then drive using super, safe in the knowledge that if needs be, you can safely fill on regular and not have to be unduly concerned.

Quote from: "Blue 2"2, will my warranty be effected?
If you're changing your car away from stock, your warantee will always be effected. However... it really depends on how good a relationship with your dealer is. A unichip is undetectable by standard diagnostics, so you'd have to physically take the rear luggage bins apart to know it's fitted. My dealer never knew it was there, although they did think it seemed faster - but ended up attributing it to my suspension setup.

Quote from: "Blue 2"3, i have read the posts regarding this and a lot of figures are given, but in real world terms is there a notable difference in performance
I had a Unichip fitted for quite a while before I went turbo. In outright 100% throttle conditions it was only marginally faster, and if you're looking at outright speed, you may well find it equally efficient to strip the car to weigh less. I note that I had quite a lot of extra chassis bracing & heavy 17" wheels on when doing the speed comparision to a stock Roadster. Where I certainly noticed the most increase was in part throttle power - it was so much nicer.

Quote from: "Blue 2"please could you post a link to a company able to carry out the work
I would always recommend Millway Garage, Andover. Next on the list would be Owen Developments - URLs to both can be found in other threads. Remember, a Unichip is only as good as the mechanic tuning it.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Anonymous

right thanks for the responeses

looking at what people first said i thought i would just hav a unichip installed, and maybe add a panel filter for a little growl
but later posts seem to say that power increase will not be that good,or more importantly not much difference in performance is noticed,
as i would imagine the process of installing the uni chip is going to cost about £600 pounds i am having my doubts as to whether it is worth it or not for the results i would see.

gonna have a think about this and see what people come back with on here

mph

Quote from: "Blue 2"right thanks for the responeses

looking at what people first said i thought i would just hav a unichip installed, and maybe add a panel filter for a little growl
but later posts seem to say that power increase will not be that good,or more importantly not much difference in performance is noticed,
as i would imagine the process of installing the uni chip is going to cost about £600 pounds i am having my doubts as to whether it is worth it or not for the results i would see.

gonna have a think about this and see what people come back with on here
I don't believe a panel filter will significantly increase 'growl' when compared with the likes of an A'PEXi.

The Unichip (at least from Millway) costs £470 (inc) fitted and tuned. Given the 15% increase you'll get (138->159), I don't believe you'll find a cheaper mod that yields that sort of increase by a long way. I was very happy with mine and would very recommend others to fit it too. Driven lightly (as if), you'll also see far better fuel economy too.

When I was doing the comparision (mainly with pmdye on track), do remember that we were probably doing from 50mph plus. At this level, wind resistance becomes significant enough that for example 10bhp is the difference between equivilent power when the top down or up.

It really depends on what sort of thing you're really trying to acheive:
Nice sound? Get an A'PEXi and possibly an exhaust.
Straight line speed? Get a turbo.
Fastest round a corner? Get driver tuitition.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Tags: