Stiff Soft Top

Started by w00dhead, October 20, 2011, 20:39

w00dhead

Hi, had a whizz around Kendal and Lake Windermere today and, between showers, went topless! While dropping the roof I noticed that it's become a little stubborn; doesn't just drop and click like it used to - I have to get out of the car and apply some gentle persuasion - not cool

I'm guessing that it just needs some lubrication in the right places (insert your own joke...) Had a quick look on here for so kind of 'soft-top-maintenance -guide-type-thing' that deals with the actual mechanism but can't find one...? Can anybody point me in the right direction....

This the kind of smooth roof action I'm looking to acheive... -    m http://youtu.be/ox5IidckRIw m

mrzwei

As the temperature dropped I found it was important to apply gentle pressure to the top of the window as you were folding it, get that in place first and then the rest without too much pressure. Ideally it needs to be warm.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

spit

Its pretty normal for the roof to be stubborn when the weather is cold. The fabric of the hood gets very stiff. So its unlikely that you have a problem with the mechanism.

Always a good idea to fold carefully in winter months by making sure the glass sits down flat before cramming the rest of the hood onto it. Glass is integral to the hood and can't be replaced on its own if you break it  s:? :? s:?  

*edit* what he said above!

If you want a second opinion on the mechanism, have a look in the Events section. Several of us are gathering here on Saturday so there'll be plenty of opportunity for compare & contrast. Drop me a PM if you need directions.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

dcod

Don't play around with it when it's cold! You need to warm it up! Then you'll get some slick action.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

uktotty

I use mine when its cold, just treat it with vinyl and rubber care or one of the other recommendations  and it will be more supple

Steve Green

Mine is stiff in the cold. A little care and gentleness and it pops open.
Problem is it is usually parked with a garage wall to the south east so it gets very little sun first thing in the morning.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

Tags: