Yesterdays play. New exhaust

Started by Mr X, October 23, 2011, 20:10

Mr X

well, finally got bored of that crappy looking standard exhaust poking out the bottom of my car like a bet straw and decided to turn to ebay!
2 days later and I have a box in the porch with shiny things in it!

In all its uglyness:

ended up having to cut the rubbers to get the dam thing off :/

anywho, A tip to the welding shop for some tig wire and a bottle of gas and its time to get to work.

I knew this would be the hardest bend to get right so I set it all up and locked it in place...

next up was a mini cut and shut to make room for the exit pipe i just welded:

now for a rest fit:

tack it all up:

remove and weld:

I also thought it would be a good time to sand some rust off and paint it all up quick!

Job done:

I was planning to weld on the end of the new astra vxr exhaust onto the end but I ran out of gas ring on the last exhaust hanger. Managed to use up a 5l bottle! In honesty tho, i think it's better left as it is. I do need to paint the number plate surround and finish off the trim round the exhaust. Job for another weekend.

s8) 8) s8)  
Video from inside:
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x271/markmrx/mr2%20exhaust/?action=view&current=VIDEO0100.mp4
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

Stephster

Couldn't you just have polished the bit that people can see ? They do come up really shiny chrome with a bit of elbow grease....  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !
Gone over to the dark side - 05 Black Z4 2.0i se with red leather.

Mr X

where is the fun in that?  s:) :) s:)
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

Anonymous

Mmm, lots of work, little gain.

Mr X

Quote from: "M R 2"Mmm, lots of work, little gain.
If for the fun of it and to be different isn't enough, I have this waiting for new crank bearings in the shed:

and a turbo in the loft  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

You not too bothered about it melting the plastic?

JiMR2

Looks good dude!  s:) :) s:)  

Hats off to you for trying something different! Excuse my ignorance but whats the engine out of?
AKA Cinnamon Jim

uktotty

Quote from: "JiMR2"Looks good dude!  s:) :) s:)  

Hats off to you for trying something different! Excuse my ignorance but whats the engine out of?

Engine is a Yamaha so my guess is 2ZZ

Does cutting the rear crash bar make it less efficient as a crash bar?

Mr X

Quote from: "Les"You not too bothered about it melting the plastic?
naaaa, been driving it about all day and doesn't seem to hurt it as long as it doesn't touch it. I plan on cutting it back a bit and putting a metal surround in just in case  s:) :) s:)

The engine I got off ebay. It was out of a corolla t sport. Ripped it up and had 2 big ends gone. I got new rods, rings and checked everything. It's all good bar waiting on the dam crank bearings for months now :/

as for the bar, I welded in new sections in the U shape I cut out (have to look close to spot it), shouldn't be a problem!  s:) :) s:)  Tho how flimsy it is, I doubt it would stop much anyway!

Tags: