Engine Hood Strut Housing

Started by 2 of the left, November 1, 2011, 21:47

2 of the left

When closing the engine hood and inserting the strut in its housing - part of the clip sheared off so now the strut only rests on what's left - Does this mean a trip to Toyota Dealer to get another clip or can I pick one up at any car accessories outlet?
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Steve Green

MrT or ask D!ck
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

Anonymous

PM me your address and Ill pop one in the post, gratis of course.

onion86

Quote from: "2 of the left"When closing the engine hood and inserting the strut in its housing - part of the clip sheared off so now the strut only rests on what's left - Does this mean a trip to Toyota Dealer to get another clip or can I pick one up at any car accessories outlet?
Mine's been like that since I got the car, never really been an issue but would be something I'd fancy doing as it's probably a pretty cheap part!
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

normanh

Mines been broke since I visited a particular Essex Mr T grrrr

norman

2 of the left

Cheers  sdick dick sdick 2ski for trying - Have now gone to Mr T and bought one from him. The "cheap part" emptied my wallet of £6+ Ah well at least the strut will be housed correctly and and wont "skite" around the top of the engine bay!!! LOL

Anonymous

Sorry I couldnt help. All 4 cars had the same fault, yet the front ones, slightly different, were all intact.

2 of the left

It's the plastic compound of the clip - it becomes brittle after being heated by the engine and then cooling down so often - The clips in the Mk 2's suffer the same result but with them the strut could be hung up with a plastic tie when not in use - not so in the Roadster

normanh

Mr T standard price is in excess of £6 plus vat can you believe I checked it out twice in the  week. I leaving mine broken it doesnt move around.

norman

mrzwei

When mine went it was the half facing the front of the car which snapped. As a temporary fix, I just tucked the strut behind the bit that was left and it worked. My 'temp' repair lasted five years and is almost certainly still working.   s:D :D s:D
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

onion86

Quote from: "mrzwei"When mine went it was the half facing the front of the car which snapped. As a temporary fix, I just tucked the strut behind the bit that was left and it worked. My 'temp' repair lasted five years and is almost certainly still working.   s:D :D s:D
Mine's been 3.5 years with the back part broken, I just twist it slightly towards the front when I put it down and rest it in the part that's left, it's never fallen out yet which's why I've not bothered getting a new one.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Tags: