2004 SMT Problems

Started by Anonymous, November 13, 2011, 13:23

Anonymous

Hi All,

I'm an mr2 owner from across the pond  s:) :) s:)  I live in Miami, FL and I own a 2004 mr2. Unfortunately, it's been parked for over a year because of an smt issue. Initially when the car broke down  I took it to the dealer and after they told me that the Alternator was the problem. Since I have a hard time trusting dealers my brother and I took out the part and took it in to an local auto parts that runs a diagnotic on the part and they told me there was no problem with it. Eventually our own reader gave us the P1646 code. Let me backtrack and say that when the car started having problems it was when shifting gears. One day the car downshifted on its own and never came back  s:( :( s:(  After fiddling with it some more and reading tons of posts I eventually ponied up the $$ to buy the new TCU. i installed it yesterday and the car cranked up but it's still not reading any gears. I read somewhere about the PUMP PRIMER and I've noticed that mine keeps running. When working on my car yesterday, it stayed on for almost a minute after turning off my car. Anyone have any ideas? I'm losing my mind over here  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Hi, some knowledgeable people on here who may be able to help.
Check out spyderchat and spyderweb too, both US based forums and both have extensive knowledge of the SMT.

mrzwei

Hi
The primer pump shouldn't stay on all of the time, it's meant to come on initially when you open the drivers door and then from time to time whilst driving. The first thing I would do is to check the hydraulic fluid level. You have to remove the air filter box to get to it. There is a window on the side which should help you check. If the level is very low then you will need to top up with special Toyota fluid. It would also suggest a leak.

As said, on spyderchat there is an smt specific section which is useful.

EDIT:  Forgot to mention that when the pump is on, it can be for around 20 secs. (If I remember correctly).
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

Tags: