nervous handling and bumpy roads

Started by loadswine, April 18, 2004, 21:54

loadswine

My 2 is a 2000 model and handles brilliantly on smooth roads, but on bumpy roads and above 80 or so seems to be very nervous and takes some real concentration to hold on a straight line. Have other members found this and fitted items like the antiflex plate or bracing to make it more secure. Thinking about the flex plate as a possible improvement.
What do you guys think?
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Slacey

An Antiflex plate and front strut bar do wonders for the handling, and fairly cheap for the both too. You can then go further and add member braces and various other bits to stiffen and sharpen the ride, but the first two are the starting point I'd say.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

zud

I haven't fitted anything to help with bumpy roads, but changing the tyres made a huge difference when travelling at 80+

The stock bridgestones used to tram-line badly, and I never felt that happy at high speeds.  But Goodyear F1s made a huge difference, and I'm sure the Toyos would too.
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Anonymous

Mine seems to have become very nervous at speed over even slightly uneven surfaces, pulling badly over cats eyes.  Stock Yokos due to be changed this week, but even so they were never this bad.

I'm having Mr T check the front strut mounts as I also have the knock on reversing from the driveway and I'm sure I heard a soft grinding from the front when performing tight manouvres around a multi-storey car park.  Maybe it's my overactive imagination.

dancarbon

A 4-wheel laser alignment may help.
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

Liz

Mine had this nervous handling when one of the struts was out and Mr T only replaced one for me, when the other was done it still didn't feel right. The only way I can describe it that it felt that you really had to hang onto it to keep in a straight line, not a pleasant feeling. The MOT showed up that the tyres were nearly on their limit so I had a full new set of Toyos put on and the alignment checked and it is back to normal now.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Similar problem came up on SpyderChat.  His tire/tyre pressure was too high.

Tags: