Wrinkly Roof

Started by Anonymous, April 19, 2004, 09:39

Anonymous

Hi

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas of how to smooth a few wrinkles out of my soft top. The problem areas are on the sides just behind and slightly above the driver/passenger windows. It's not that bad and has been like that since I got the car. I think the problem is made worse because I have a hardtop and the soft top has remained folded down for several months, anyone else have a similar problem?

Anonymous

Since i had my hard top on its gone a bit like that. best thing is to condition the roof, something like the turtle wax roof conditioner will do the trick. should keep it nice and soft so will reduce the wrinkles.

hope that helps.

Comer

I finally took my hardtop off on Sat and I'm convinced that there is more noise from incoming air on the passenger side than there used to be.  There is no noise on the drivers side.  

I've checked the windows and the roof outside and there are no gaps!!  Oh and the missus thinks I'm going mad and the noise has been there all along.
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Anonymous

Quote from: "Comer"I finally took my hardtop off on Sat and I'm convinced that there is more noise from incoming air on the passenger side than there used to be.  

It's really strange that you said that, I've just taken my hardtop off this weekend (Don't know why I bothered because it's pi**ed it down ever since), but I was thinking exactly the same thing. I must have checked to see if the passenger window was closed properly about 3 times this morning on the way to work. Must just be the way it is  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Comer

I'm just wondering whether any of the inner layers of the roof have become stuck together and left a bit of a gap elsewhere???
Michael

Anonymous

nah, your just used to having the hard top on!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Could be.

I think it's more likely that you just need to get used to it again, may be you should book a test drive from Toyota and see if it sounds the same, after all you don't have to buy it after you've given it a good thrashing  s:D :D s:D  

I was feeling a bit down about my soft top this morning - more wind noise, reduced rear visablity, car not as stiff etc. But just wait until the sun comes out, you won't stop me smiling.

Comer

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"nah, your just used to having the hard top on!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I think you're probably right   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Michael

Anonymous

That's why I like the HT... it's like having a new car every 6 months.

Anonymous

I have found a few times when the roof has been put up, that part of the soft top doesnt quite go behind the rubber of the window surround and this causes loads of extra noise.  If its that just push it back behind the rubber (one finger job) and then the noise goes

just a thought?

Liz

I didn't post before because I thought that I was going mad, but my roof seems to be making extra noises since the H/T came off...there is a wind noise coming through the drivers side clip and when I get up to 70 mph a high pitched whistle from somewhere! near the middle of the screen, driving me barmy!

<edited> cos I am a plonker!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"and when I get up to 70 mph a high pitched whistle from someone near the middle of the screen, driving me barmy!
Well, slow down and let them get off    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Seriously, that might be the seal compressed as the hardtop has been on a while.  Probably needs the two soft top latches adjusting to tighten it against the frame.

Anonymous

Perry190 has the answer,I have to do that every time the soft top is put up again.

Anonymous

Quote from: "perry190"I have found a few times when the roof has been put up, that part of the soft top doesnt quite go behind the rubber of the window surround and this causes loads of extra noise.  If its that just push it back behind the rubber (one finger job) and then the noise goes

just a thought?

Perry - i have the same problem, my dealer is looking at it for me, says might mean a new roof (warranty) if it wasn't i'd put up with it.

Anonymous

I thought everone would of had this problem atleast once. 9 out of 10 times i can drop and raise the roof no problems. Then the odd occasion there's a load of wind noise from one side and it's exactly what Perry said. The ruber seal at the back of the window is the wrong side of the hood, a little push and it's fine.

Doesn't do it enough for me to class it as a problem.

Tem

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"The ruber seal at the back of the window is the wrong side of the hood, a little push and it's fine.

Mine used to do that every now and then...especially when it was cold, never during warm days. In the end it managed to tear the seal apart, so I'd get it fixed under warranty while you can.

Toyota replaced the seal and adjusted the top and haven't had any issues since..
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

I just guide it in by hand as I put the roof up, so it's not damaging the seal or the roof.

Anonymous

After takeing my hard top off a week or 2 ago i found that the soft top had some bad wrinkles in it but over the days that we have had some good sun the roof has streached with the heat and now they have gone,
but there was a lot of squeking from the rubber seals which i dressed with some rubber lub which stopped that aswell ( great stuff for stopping squeks got it from halford in a spray can)
  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: