RE040 V T1-R

Started by Zonda_, November 30, 2011, 13:18

Zonda_

Before people point out these tyres are both discontinued, I know, but I need a pair of front tyres now and their replacements aint available yet.  I've used T1-Rs on various cars in the past and like them however I have no experience of Bridgestone.  Are the RE040's really worth the extra £30 a tyre?
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

onion86

What do you have on the rear if you're replacing the fronts? It would be best to keep all 4 tyres the same, don't go mixing tyre brands if you don't have to it *can* be unsafe.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Zonda_

The rears are some hateful cheap make but unfortunately they are new and I can't justify binning them as much as I'd like to.
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

Wabbitkilla

Well either get the hateful same make & model for the front, or change them all to Toyo T1R's.

T1R's are available, you don't need to religiously stick to the stock sizes .. have a look at the tyre reviews for pointers.
Mixing tyres on the 2, having cheap & nasty tyres on the 2 , will cost you in the long run - you're more likely to find yourself in a ditch.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

onion86

Quote from: "Zonda_"The rears are some hateful cheap make but unfortunately they are new and I can't justify binning them as much as I'd like to.
I'd change all 4 to Toyos, depending on the sizes they can be a lot cheaper than RE040s, when I looked a while ago it was about £20 more to do 4 Toyos than just 2 RE040s!

Try camskill, they usually have some kind of discounts on Toyos (I can see at least one size that has £8 off at the moment), or Blackcircles you can get a price including fitting.

*EDIT* On Nic's advice above, you don't have to stick to stock sizes, but make sure you maintain a similar rolling radius to stock, try something like this to make sure you're within a good % http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

mr-ed_smt

From experience, it is DEFINITELY worth having the same make all round. T1-Rs are fantastic in the wet, and very good in the dry (if pressures are upped). IMO far better than the Bridgestones (and cheaper). If you shop around you will be able to get all 4 T1-R's in pre-facelift sizes fitted for under £300. Front's will pretty much never wear out, and rears good for 10-20k+ depending on driving style.
[size=85]The never ending project - cherished daily driver, to fully-caged track toy![/size]

Wabbitkilla

+1 go for T1-R's all-round
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Zonda_

Full set of T1-Rs ordered for £260

onion86

Good choice   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

mr-ed_smt

Good man. Remember they'll be  sshit shit sshit  for the first few hundred miles (at least) until they're scrubbed in, so don't be disappointed! I also find they improve after the first heat cycle as well.
[size=85]The never ending project - cherished daily driver, to fully-caged track toy![/size]

Zonda_

I'm hoping to see a difference in the handling, particularly at the rear!

onion86

Make sure you put a bit more pressure in than stock (2-4 psi); on 15" I think they've got slightly sloppy sidewalls.

dcod

Quote from: "mr-ed_smt"Front's will pretty much never wear out, and rears good for 10-20k+ depending on driving style.

I have Toyo T1R's all round. 5000 miles, fronts almost look like new but rears are worn out   s:( :( s:(  

Can I still get Toyo T1R's to match my front Toyo's?
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Zonda_

Yes you can till get them  but they have been discontinued.

peteopc

Blackcircles have 15% off toyos until midnight. Enter code toyo at checkout. I got 2 x 195 50 15 and 2 x 225 40 16 for £179 delivered.

dcod

Quote from: "Zonda_"Yes you can till get them  but they have been discontinued.

Thanks, maybe I'll buy them early just in case   s:D :D s:D
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

manchestermatt1986

Quote from: "Zonda_"Yes you can till get them  but they have been discontinued.

have i missed something here, have toyo t1-rs been discontinued or are you talking about RE040 v's
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

Wabbitkilla

As far as I'm aware, the RE-040's have been discontinued, but the T1-R's are still listed as a current tyre with Toyo ... there is no replacement.

manchestermatt1986

phew!
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

dcod

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"As far as I'm aware, the RE-040's have been discontinued, but the T1-R's are still listed as a current tyre with Toyo ... there is no replacement.

Excellent, just what I wanted to hear. No need to panic buy some Toyo's then.   s:D :D s:D

Wabbitkilla

There was a problem getting Toyos for a while, which was supposed to be due to the earthquake and tsunami in Japan.
I checked Toyo's website and the T-1R's are current tyres.

Phew   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Another member has stated that Toyo's are being discontinued but as there is no official statement from Toyo I don't believe it.
 l viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35696&hilit=+toyo l

Zonda_

A mate from another forum has been informed from three unconnected tyre distributors who sell Toyos that the T1-R has been discontinued.  When I had mine fitted yesterday they also confirmed that they have been discontinued.

onion86

Oh  s:( :( s:(  What are we supposed to use now?!

aaronjb

I'd have suggested the Kumho KU-31s, but word on the street is those are being discontinued too in favour of the KU-39 (which has a much less sexy tread pattern).. The 39 is supposed to be better, though, I believe - I just can't seem to find the wear ratings to know which is softer.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tags: