Known cause for this rattle?

Started by alfajerry, December 1, 2011, 08:39

alfajerry

Hi guys,
I'm getting a rattle from the rear of the car, possibly exhaust related, usually happens as I pull away, between 1000 and 1500 revs.
Is this a known issue with a quick fix?
Thanks,
Jerry
Jerry

dcod

Get your head under the back of your car and check the heatshield around your cat. It's held on by rivets that rust away. Check if it's loose.

A picture of it is here

l viewtopic.php?p=367609 l

and more info here

l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11371 l
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

dcod

It can be fixed cheaply using a couple of big jubille clips from B&Q. (If that's your problem)

m http://www.aspectspools.co.uk/jubilee-clip-1-1-4-2 m
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

onion86

They were supposed to have sorted that out in a 2004 redesign, if it's that it will show Toyota were lying!
Quote from: "Toyota"2004 - New design of heatshield fitted to Main Cat to revent the broken weld related rattle on the previous design.
From the symptoms it does sound like that. I also followed someone elses advice when I had mine and put a Brillo pad (obviously not covered in detergent) in each side and then a Jubilee clip round, that sorted it.

There are a lot of other potential rattles from that area, other heatshields mainly. Let us know how it goes.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

dcod

Quote from: "onion86"They were supposed to have sorted that out in a 2004 redesign, if it's that it will show Toyota were lying!

Haven't heard that. If that's true, I would get your head under the back of the car, get a friend to gently rev so you can pinpoint the rattle.

Then come back here, I'm sure plenty of people will be able to help.

onion86

Quote from: "dcod"
Quote from: "onion86"They were supposed to have sorted that out in a 2004 redesign, if it's that it will show Toyota were lying!

Haven't heard that. If that's true, I would get your head under the back of the car, get a friend to gently rev so you can pinpoint the rattle.

Then come back here, I'm sure plenty of people will be able to help.
Or failing having a friend to do that, stick your head in the engine bay and rev the throttle yourself with your left hand (it's back left behind the engine). That way may also be easier to get the revs to the point it rattles and hold it steady.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

alfajerry

Thanks for the replies guys.
I'll try to prise the car away from the wife over the weekend and see if I can pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

Jerry
Jerry

Tags: