Inefficient brakes

Started by Anonymous, May 27, 2003, 18:36

Anonymous

Yeah, there is a theory there.........

But you have to take into consideration the actualy brakes here. The idea is to keep the tyre in as much "solid" contact with the road (i.e. no skidding) so that the brakes can dissipate the energy, NOT the tyres as this is a lot more efficient. The brakes are designed for slowing a stopping the car. The Tyre provides the contact patch for this to occur at its most eficient.

Does this make sense? I think what I am saying is that you could have the best brakes in the world (i.e. Porsche), but if the tyre is not doing its job, i.e. gripping the road, then the brakes are useless. Hence, I think that no skidding will stop you a damn site quicker than skidding. I cannot think of a single incidence os skidding slowing you down quicker than normal, controlled braking. Not one.

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"Does this make sense? I think what I am saying is that you could have the best brakes in the world (i.e. Porsche), but if the tyre is not doing its job, i.e. gripping the road, then the brakes are useless.

Yes your right, like I said racers don't remove or not use ABS because they stop quicker, thats not the case.

EDIT - OH by the way, we DO have the best brakes in the world    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

WoodenDunny wrote:
QuoteOH by the way, we DO have the best brakes in the world

Oh yeah, fortgot!!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Yeah, you're right about the ABS. I suppose it is a little more different for a road car with ABS in that most people, in an emergency, just slam the brakes as hard as they can.  ABS lets the tyre move in order to keep conrtrol and compensate for the over exuberence of "most" drivers (sweeping statement, I know). Racers on the other hand usually have a surfeit of grip compared to the overall braking ability, hence even though is IS possible to lock up a racer, it is a lot less common and harder to achieve. Hence, the wheels are more likely to keep turning, even under severe provocation and therefor ABS is seen as less essential. Also, without ABS, racers can modulate the amount of braking required much more easily.

I think we are saying the same things here, but from different perspectives. I beleive, in normal, road-goikng circumstances, with "average" drivers, ABS WOULD infact shorten the braking distances as it would allow the brakes to do their job and slow the car down. Without ABS, most would skid and the car would plough on regardless. For experienced drivers who know what they are doing (I do not proffess to be such a person. I just enjoy driving), then this may not be the case.

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"racers can modulate the amount of braking.

That would be the main reason why racers don't use it.  You couldn't really rally with ABS I wouldnt think   s:? :? s:?

Tags: