Guide to fitting a standard airbox?

Started by Zonda_, December 2, 2011, 14:13

Zonda_

I'm replacing the rubbish induction kit on my car with a standard system but as the kit was on the car when I bought it I don't know how to do it!  I have all the original pieces just need a guide of how to fit them!

Thanks in advance!
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

Anonymous

The best way to do this is with a worked example. Park next to a standard car. Lift both engine covers and you have a perfect picture.
Or pop over here and Ill fit it for you, gratis. Its a 19 minute job if you know what youre doing.

Zonda_

I don't know anyone round here that has one and kind though your offer is, a 300 miles round trip is going to make it a rather expensive way of getting it fitted!
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

AmeR

Post some pics up of your current setup as it depends on what is left to fit as to how easy it is to pop back on.

Zonda_

Will do tomorrow.

Tommygun1

If you want I will pop round and show you mate also lend a hand

Tommygun1

By the way I live in guisborough so I can help anytime Sunday

Anonymous

As you bought the airbox and pipework, if any other bits are missing Ill post them over, gratis of course.

Zonda_

Quote from: "Tommygun1"By the way I live in guisborough so I can help anytime Sunday

Cheers for the offer, gonna see what I can do today and I'll let you know if it defeats me!

mrzwei

The box just bolts in place. The rubber pipe from the engine just slips over  the bit of the box with the maf housing on it (use a squirt of WD40 if it's stiff   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  ). Screw on the maf.
The hole at the back of the box takes the narrow end of the 'L' shaped air intake pipe, with the other end fitting into the hole in the inner wing panel.
There is a bolt fixing hole which, iirc, goes under one of the fixings for the rear light cluster. I actually didn't bother with this when I replaced mine.
(See also the instructions for fitting the Markiii inlet pipe in the 'how to' section if you get stuck at this point).
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

FGrob

Besides the two bolts there is also a plastic peg which is molded into the back of the air box, this fits into a rubber grommet which is fitted in the metal cross brace, without this the box will move around and rattle, you can see the the grommet in the below photo, it's on the top right hand side of the airbox, also you can see what a Markiii pipe looks like as well.

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Tags: