Heating Trouble

Started by 2 of the left, December 5, 2011, 21:00

2 of the left

After a 700 mile round trip Portsmouth - Newcastle upon Tyne before Winter sets in, I found on my commute to work this morning I had no heat at all!!Checked the motor at lunchtime in daylight and found that coolant reservoir was was down on level so topped up and ran engine til warm then tried heater and fan blower again NO HEAT!! Left car to stand until the commute home in the evening - Hey Presto all fine!! Strange or what?!!
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Wabbitkilla

Take the plastics off around the frunk and check the radiator for leaks ... will most likely show up as pink deposits.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

ChrisGB

You may want to bleed the radiator and heater matrix. Sounds like you may have a coolant leak somewhere. The radiator on the MR2 seems to lose much of it's cooling fin area over the years and pinhole leaks are not uncommon.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

Could it have been frozen and defrosted as the day warmed a little? Thinking about it not likely as it's not cold enough yet but has happened before.   l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31959&p=388232&hilit=#p388232 l

2 of the left

Must admit I checked for water deposits under the motor during the lunchtime as I did think I had a Rad leak - but nothing to be seen but I will certainly strip down the plastics in the frunk and have a serious inspection for said pink deposits Cheers guys!! - Ironic really as every Motorway Gantry I passed under, this weekend, was displaying the message "Is your car ready for the Winter?"
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

iPap

Quote from: "2 of the left"Must admit I checked for water deposits under the motor during the lunchtime as I did think I had a Rad leak - but nothing to be seen but I will certainly strip down the plastics in the frunk and have a serious inspection for said pink deposits Cheers guys!! - Ironic really as every Motorway Gantry I passed under, this weekend, was displaying the message "Is your car ready for the Winter?"

Leaked fluid often gets trapped on the plastics so you can see it until you park on a hill and it runs out!

I got a rad from flea bay last week, less than £60 delivered, perfect fit and quality!
2001, Black MR2, Elise Leather Seats, Aircon and Factory TTE Kit, BC Coilovers, SP Brace, Corkys Front Brace, Devs\' Front Bushes, Rebuilt Toyota 1ZZ Engine, Head and Six Speed Box, Cobra Twin Exhaust, Decat Manifold, Short Shift and Solid Bushes, etc...

kentsmudger

Replaced my radiator in May and took a load of pictures that might be useful (view under plastic, location of bleed valves etc) - See this post I made at the time
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Anonymous

If there is no visable signs just a bit of water then taste it sounds wrong but if the rad is leaking then you will taste a bitter taste of the anti freeze

MelBee42

Funny, a similar thing happened to me on Monday too. No heating, and engine overheating. Pulled over onto the hard shoulder in a slight panic, couldn't see what the coolant level was, topped it up anyway as I didn't know what else to do, (spraying myself in hot coolant along the way!) ended up overfilling it (again - I couldn't see!). Didn't have much choice but to drive off. And then it was absolutely fine. Heating working again, engine temp normal. Today I ended up putting another litre in it. Taking it to the garage on Thursday for a health check!

Anonymous

Could I just say this is common if water is used instead of antifreeze! As soon as Jack Frost comes along so do frozen rads, pipes and blocks. Well worth getting your coolant checked for specific gravity, particularly if youve had work done involving the coolant since last winter, or youve not had the car that long.

Tags: