Bournemouth Girl in need of assistance!

Started by Vikface, December 10, 2011, 20:36

Roadwarrior

I wouldn't recommend trying to spray the car yourself as its hard to blend the paint in and you then make it look a lot worse.
You can also try T-cut which is sold in various colours.

Anonymous

You could get a body shop to paint the front plus the engine cover for about £300.

Chris H

I wonder if the previous owner used a car cover on this "2",as far
as i know this sort of blemish can happen.
i use triplewax colour polish on my "2",covers minor scratches etc....
gives a nice finish in my opinion.....  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

loadswine

I've used good quality covers for years on my 2s and never had that sort of thing. Looks like very thin paint has just been worn away. Over claying or compounding produces a very similar effect.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

2 of the left

Looks to me as if your flooring is damp - take out any portable mats and keep them indoors for a few days to let them dry out - Check your stowages behind seats for water - if you find any then your drains are the problem - keep your AC running when driving it will dry out air in the cabin! As regards Autoglym - it's good stuff - the vinyl stuff should do but Back to Black is the cheaper option for spoiler and front edge surrounding the front badge - As regards the "frunk" lid get the car's colour  code from Vin plate (3 digits) and then get lid resprayed by a Bodyshop then T-cut whole car - It should eventually blend!! - At least that way you will get to know every inch of your car!! - The scuff on your mirror can be taken out with Autoglym/Back to Black
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

2 of the left

Have just read all your posts -Sorry - I thought you were on about the "frunk" lid - but same applies as regards respray and T - Cut -It shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to have engine lid re-sprayed - You'll need to get your hairdryer on the carpet fittings to eradicate all moisture from bottom of cabin - Have had same problem with my 2nd motor(Merc SLK) - Bigger area to cover!!!

Vikface

Many thanks for the replies, this site has been so much help me to and taught me many things I didnt know... Cheers

I'll try Triplewax colour polish then, see if that does anything but I think the wing mirror needs some touch up paint though, as its deep and about the size of a 20 pence piece.
I'm sorry to say I dont even know what 'over claying or compounding' is! The previous owner had it since 2003 and she didnt do any mods or put anything else on it, not sure about the car cover though.

Oh how did it look so nice before I got it? How didnt I notice these blemishes and what had the trader used on my eyes to give me the 'rose tinted' effect?!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

My plans for this year (I only got her at end November).... In no particular order...
Sort paint out abit and hide chips etc
Fit black/yellow gaitor and keep looking about for a new knob (Im thinking of Rhons black yellow stitching one maybe)
Get Pre cats out and cry if they have already broken down
I need to sort the stereo out as the CD jumps, thinking of a single din with iphone conector.

Couple more question though please...
Does anyone know, Do you only get problem codes with a OBD reader if the engine light is on?
And just how bad are 'Roadstone' tyres? From what I've read not good at all   s:( :( s:(   The car does feel quite twitchy when its windy and I'm doing 80+... (or is that normal?) It had a MOT the day I got it and the new paperwork doesn't seem to show recommendations, but I'm guessing the alinement etc was checked then?

Thank you for your help everyone   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:   Cheers, Vicky
2001 MR2 Roadster, Yellow, Black Leather, Air Con, 75k Mileage, Pre cats not yet gutted but will do ASAP..Dev\'s keyhole covers, JDM Front badge and steering wheel Badge (last two not fitted yet) Only had her since Nov 11 so still learning.

StuC

Quote from: "Vikface"Couple more question though please...
Does anyone know, Do you only get problem codes with a OBD reader if the engine light is on?

Does your CEL come on with the ignition? I only ask as mine doesn't. It has been tempered with, by someone unscrupulous  s:-( :-( s:-(
If yours is like mine, then yes you might have codes with the light off.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Vikface

Quote from: "StuC"
Quote from: "Vikface"Couple more question though please...

Does your CEL come on with the ignition? I only ask as mine doesn't. It has been tempered with, by someone unscrupulous  s:-( :-( s:-(
If yours is like mine, then yes you might have codes with the light off.

Yeah it come on and goes off when I start it, just wondered if minor codes dont light up the engine light and only major ones do.. Cheers
2001 MR2 Roadster, Yellow, Black Leather, Air Con, 75k Mileage, Pre cats not yet gutted but will do ASAP..Dev\'s keyhole covers, JDM Front badge and steering wheel Badge (last two not fitted yet) Only had her since Nov 11 so still learning.

Stephster

On another note regarding CEL and any other lights. If they don't come on these will be an MOT fail as of March 2012.
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !
Gone over to the dark side - 05 Black Z4 2.0i se with red leather.

mrzwei

Quote from: "Vikface"Yeah it come on and goes off when I start it, just wondered if minor codes dont light up the engine light and only major ones do.. Cheers

It's not an exact science. You get what are called 'pending' codes so the fault has to appear a number of times before you get a CEL.

On my car (Z3) I had a faulty camshaft position sensor causing all sorts of problems which was shown on the code reader but there was no CEL.
Also had problems with the 2 when it was very cold last year. Got a CEL in the morning which just went off and never came back.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Vikface

Oh No,  sfuck fuck sfuck !
I picked up my '2 end of Nov 2011, the MOT/Service was done at same time, I checked the oil at Christmas and it was down abit but over half way, about 3/4 full... I checked it today and Nothing, I meant it was below empty!!
I clearly have a screwed engine - which I dont think is covered under the warranty the tradesman gave me, it was only the gold cover so I'm pretty sure I have no comeback   s:( :( s:(  
So if the oil capacity is 3l then I have gone through all that since end Nov   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  The oil light DID NOT come up - why not?? (Yes it comes on normally at ignition then goes off again) and I have done less then 500 miles.

I am guessing I should take it as red that my engine is well and truly knackered?   s:( :( s:(   I want to cry.....

After I immediately put 2l in it I went to the Bournemouth Mr T, (I was going there anyway) and asked about the Precats, was told they cant do it and they cant recommend anyone, regardless if there is still a warranty on it or not. I also asked about the white clips for the side vents and touch up paint.

Ok.. What now?? Other then keeping it topped up with oil, does this mean it could fail any time?

Anonymous

Im gutted for you Vik, but if at all possible take it back. The Sale of Goods Act states the car must be of merchantable quality.

Definately worth a try.

Its possible to run the car for quite a while with high oil consumption, but eventually it will go pop, or the cost of oil will become prohibitive. In the meantime, just keep checking and topping up.

Roadwarrior

Do what D!ck says Vicky and explain how many miles you have done and how much oil you have used.
If I lived a bit closer i would let you drive mine i really would.  s:) :) s:)

aaronjb

Quote from: "Vikface"The oil light DID NOT come up - why not??

It's an oil pressure light, not an oil level light. While there is oil covering the pickup, it'll stay out (barring other problems). It comes on at ~4.3psi of oil pressure or less, which is basically zero - if it comes on any time over idle RPM then by the time you've reacted to it your engine is already toast.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Vikface

Thanks guys,
I know she could go pop any time now   s:( :( s:(   I'll go find the trader (lucky he only lives 4 miles from me!) but I'll sure he'll say its not covered by the warranty and check/fill the oil everyday - 5w30 right? But there are still about 4 different types!

Oh well, sorry CTP, no £130 for some post f/l side vents from me I'm afraid!   s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

When she is burning oil like that, just use Tescos el cheapo. As long as it says its for petrol and the grade is around 5/30 it will do.

Good luck with the dealer. A punter has probably stitched him up with it, because as you found out, driving a few hundred miles is often the only way to discover the fault. I know its no consolation, but exactly the same thing happened to me. Im an old bloke with years of experience, but still got stitched.

In the american management spirit (dont come to me with problems, but solutions) here is a plan.
1. Try the dealer. Be nice, then threaten him with Trading Standards. Thats a local government department charged with keeping an eye on dodgy dealers.
2. Bite the bullit and get it fixed.
3. Sell as is. There is a market for these on ebay, even with duff motors.
4. Scrap it yourself. If you have time and space its less finacially damaging.
5. If youre really really desperate, chop it in to a dealer in PX. Last resort, as some poor mug will get exactly what youve just had, and as you know, it aint nice. This will probably cost you even more, as they are giving nothing for PX at the moment.

Vikface

Thanks Dick2ski,
I will go back to the trader as he bodged up the mot and ended up selling it to me without one - which he was very apologetic about, even so I asked him if he could get me 4 Toyo as trade price and also to fix the passenger window motor as although it works, it makes an awful noise (I know this IS covered under the warranty) and I've not heard from him since 15th December, and he hasn't replied to my last text of the 5th Jan. I guess I need to get my facts straight; know what I can and cant say then bring in Trading standards as a last resort   s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Go for it girl! All the best, and let us know how you get on.

mrzwei

Just to add to your argument, Toyota said that if the car was using more than a litre of oil in less than a thousand miles then there was a problem with faulty oil control rings. They basically put their hands up and said guilty so we will replace the short engine. At the time, this went back as far as X reg cars.
This really means that a 1.8VVT engine sold to you using more than a litre of oil in less than 1000 miles is not of merchandisable (if that's how you spell it   s:D :D s:D  ) quality and the dealer should be given the opportunity to sort it out.
(The source of that info was Car Mechanics Magazine Sept 2007).
Good luck.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.

Treboeth

Sorry to hear this but as an option D*ck has an 05 breaking (D*ck perhaps offer dibs if the engine is still available) at least you know where the engine has come from and he`s reliable  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

I do have an engine, but didnt want to be seen as fishing for work.

I fear the cost might be a stumbling block, plus fitting also. Make a helluva car though, whatever it goes in.

Vikface

Thank you, I'll call the trader on my lunch and, as  sdick dick sdick 2ski said "The Sale of Goods Act states the car must be of merchantable quality", so if I go armed and also the fact that he knows he messed up re the other thing it might help. I might have to look up some legal stuff though and there are times I wish I was a bloke! Even so, its still over 3l in less then 1000 miles (I saw the mot and it was 74205 mileage and its now 7500?) which is not right.

The pic shows the Engine part of the warranty, does it sound like it would be covered please? - Bar the Sales of Goods Act...

s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  Not a happy bunny

mrzwei

It specifically says that pistons and rings are covered.
However, don't let him fob you off with the warranty, he was supposed to sell you a car that worked properly, so 'broken record technique' 'the car is not of merchantisable (Ireally need to look that up   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ) quality so I need you to sort it out'. Uncomfortable but it works, don't be sidetracked by the warranty, tell him to sort it out via the warranty if necessary.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

2 of the left

Check your engine bay for oil spray it could be something as simple as a failed gasket - I only say this because my Mk 2 had that problem - but the rest of the guys are most likely right- and if that is the case, go for the dealers jugglar and get the Media involved!!

Tags: