Lippys SP Turbo - Rear splitter arrived

Started by Lippy, December 11, 2011, 03:36

Lippy

Go easy one me as im new to the forum...
I bought myself today a Roadster Mr-2 with the SP turbo conversion on it, its an 03 plate with 44k on the clocks.
Having owned it for 12 hours odd I already have some plans for it... Im stillin the process of selling my old car (saxo vts running 50bhp of Nitrous oxide)...

I kept the NOS setup for the MR-2 but getting used to RWD is slightly more difficult that I thought when you like the gas pedal and arent used to it so the NOS setup is in the garage for the foreseeable..

Il upload some pictures if the weather is nice tomorrow. Im not even sure howmany people actually use this site yet, seems to be quite dormant compared to my old owners club thread...

Heres my beast  s:) :) s:)

Ex SP240 Owner, looking for another boosted '2

FGrob

Yep it's normally quiet at 3.30am.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Look there are thousands of the Saxo's  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:    s:scared: :scared: s:scared:    s:scared: :scared: s:scared:   on the road and certainly not so many Roadster, this is a busy site when it comes to information about the car, yes there are plenty of mods that can be done and by the sounds of it you've got one of the better ones.

Probably the wrong time of year to learn how to drive a 2, push it to hard and you will find the ditch pretty quickly, even more so with a turbo bolted on.

Good luck with your modding, Oh yes welcome to the club.

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

nathanMR2

Hey welcome to the club. Ive moved your post over to the newbie section i hope you dont mind.

With your current setup i couldnt really see the need for Nos and depending if your running a low or high setup i would consider working on what you already have fixed than adding Nos. The MR2 wasnt really built to go fast in a straight line but was built to make corners a lot more exciting  s:) :) s:)  That said my guess is a saxo wasnt really one for straight line speeds either  s;) ;) s;)

Nos has been done before but in a relatively standard engine with no turbo. Im not sure how ud get on with linking with the turbo in any case.

Have a read through this when you get chance as it might help you out

l viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29479 l

You can also take a look in the garage for ideas and tips

Take it easy in this weather if you not used to it. We've only recent nearly suffered another loss  s:( :( s:(
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

markiii

so if you have run NOS before, I'd be interested as to who you used for insurance?

most companies won't touch NOS with a bargepole

probabaly in case your manifold falls off  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

Quote from: "markiii"probabaly in case your manifold falls off  :-) :-) :-)

You've got it all wrong Mark - it only causes "danger to manifold!" .. then the floor falls off ..  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Sorry Lippy, we're quite friendly really (and I'm sure you got the reference there anyway).

ROC is 'quiet' compared to mass-market car forums (the Omega forum has thousands of active members and probably 10x the post volume that ROC has, but there are 10x the number of cars on the road, ditto with the Saxo forums I would imagine), but the technical knowledge is second to none IMHO  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

uktotty

some interesting mods on that little diddy car there mate, cant wait to see what you do with the MR2.
Dont do the HID thing though please, we don't like it here  s:) :) s:)

Welcome to the site, look forward to seeing some pics

Lippy

Ive spun it a little already tbh... 10 mins after buying it, wasnt being stupid just little gas off of a roundabout. No damage, just raised heartbeat...
Insurance on NOS the only place you can go is adrian Flux tbh,,, cost me an extra £140 per year on the saxo...
Saxo without nos was about 6.5 seconds to 60 so actually no it was quick in a straight line  s:) :) s:)
Nathan can you put the thread back where it was as I intend on using this thread for a car progress report for the coming years, saves me creating a new thread later, cheers
I had morettes and HID's on my saxo as the lights were rather cr*ppy tbh, not needed on the MR2 as the lights are awsome!

So far ive fitted richbrook locking wheel valve caps, silvateck sidelight bulbs (gets rid of the yellow), washed the car and cleaned the interiour.
I have a JL 8" sub to fit, £330 Alpine headunit, ipod, 17cm pioneer components and a Genesis aluminium class G amplifier  s:) :) s:) , its a nice sounding setup!
Tomtom mounting point needed somewhere... Road angel pro is on dash but not wired, shift light to go on from glowshift and oil, water, fuel pressure & boost gauges to fit. All in white (7 color)

I have a few questions which il ask in next post, any info would be appreciated!

Lippy

I need to know if the lights on the speedo are halogen bulbs or if they are led/smd's please?
With the steering wheel do you guys generally recommend not changing? I liked my OMP sports wheel (smaller)?
Do the headlights come out just by 1 bolt on the top? I want to fit silvatek bulbs
Anyone fitted a SPAL type slimline fan on the rad of a turbo'd '2 ?

JoniiBoii

I used to have a Saxo vtr bud! I'd never put them down! There good fun and pretty much go karts ! Guy round the corner brought it , but still , nothing compared to the 2' ....

Lippy

my old saxo would rinse a '2 speed wise and round corners but it was anything but standard tbh, the 16v's std are 7.5 same as the N/A Mr2's. good cars just grew out of it tbh!

Any suggestions on matt black headlights?
black touring strip?
De-badged front?
Black wingmirrors & bonnet?

I want to try to de-girly it a little, I really like the car but its a little hairdresser-ish

markiii

bigest issue with a smaller wheel is it cuts through the instruments, especially if you leave it in a lw position.

Porsche were fitting instrument binnacles thatmove with teh wheel back in 1979, never understood why others never folowed suit or even why Porsche stopped
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

JoniiBoii

Yeah tell me about it ! Probably because there so unbelievably light! Hmmm I think your ideas sound good! But what this forum taught me , is to deal with the handling before performance  s:) :) s:)

nathanMR2

MOD - Moved to Performance at the OP's request
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

onion86

Did the rear bumper inserts fall out on the way back from picking it up from Andy, I'm sure they were there when he was selling it?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

You got a nice car there. If you debadge the front I'll buy the eagle badge, I think the black door mirrors look pretty good on silver, someone photoshopped a pic a few days ago. Looking to see what you do with the car... like it already so hopefully can make it even better.

I know what you mean about the look, I've never been a fan of the standard car, needs bumper/skirt changes to 'de-girly it' as you've put it, which is what is on my plan of things to do as I've now just picked up my new standard car today which is ripe for modding as my new project   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Lippy

Quote from: "JoniiBoii"Yeah tell me about it ! Probably because there so unbelievably light! Hmmm I think your ideas sound good! But what this forum taught me , is to deal with the handling before performance  s:) :) s:)

Its lowered with uprated brakes and already got a turbo...? also has the huge X brace underneith, what else would you suggest?

Quote from: "onion86"Did the rear bumper inserts fall out on the way back from picking it up from Andy, I'm sure they were there when he was selling it?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

You got a nice car there. If you debadge the front I'll buy the eagle badge, I think the black door mirrors look pretty good on silver, someone photoshopped a pic a few days ago. Looking to see what you do with the car... like it already so hopefully can make it even better.

I know what you mean about the look, I've never been a fan of the standard car, needs bumper/skirt changes to 'de-girly it' as you've put it, which is what is on my plan of things to do as I've now just picked up my new standard car today which is ripe for modding as my new project   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

I have the rear inserts but they were off of the car when I picked it up  s:( :( s:(
Im also thinking on removing the std black plastic mesh and replacing with jaguar stainless steel T304 stuff like I did on the saxo. might even remove the front fogs
Does the front badge have pins through the bonnet?
If you have a link to the windmirrors in black please link me  s:) :) s:)
what skirts do people suggest? Im looking at lips for the front and back blended in so they dont look like an after thought

vinp182

Yeah the front bumper badge has 2 pins through the bumper
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

stargazer30

Quote from: "Lippy"Ive spun it a little already tbh... 10 mins after buying it, wasnt being stupid just little gas off of a roundabout. No damage, just raised heartbeat!

I did warn you   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   Its not like driving a saxo regardless of the similar power output.  If you want to spend money it get yourself a racelogic traction control before you bin it!
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "Lippy"I need to know if the lights on the speedo are halogen bulbs or if they are led/smd's please?
led's built in to the circuit board.

Quote from: "Lippy"Do the headlights come out just by 1 bolt on the top? I want to fit silvatek bulbs

No there is another bugger underneath that you have to move the wheel arch liner to get to. and it's probably easier to removed the bumper as well because the lights get caught on the lip.

Saying all that, you should be able to change the bulbs in place.

spit

Welcome to the ROC Lippy   s8) 8) s8)  

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"
Quote from: "Lippy"I need to know if the lights on the speedo are halogen bulbs or if they are led/smd's please?
led's built in to the circuit board.

Only for some of the warning lights. High beam, indicators and backlight are all clear 1.2w capless bulbs.
Orange capless work OK. Reds too but a little dim.

LED capless equivalents (red) have been tried but they throw very little light through the stencil.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

filcee

Quote from: "Lippy"what else would you suggest?

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'd suggest investing in a car control day and honing your driving skills.  Once you are happy that you are able to fully exploit the handling of the car without reversing it into the scenery at high speed, then I would start doing more mods.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

roger

Quote from: "vinp182"Yeah the front bumper badge has 2 pins through the bumper

Welcome. All the other badges are just straight sticky so won't need filling/painting if the go.

As to skirts, IMO the Toyota ones were the best (assuming no other bodywork change), though its doubtful if you could get a new set now (and you probably wouldn't want to pay what they were asking either   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ). Keep your ears and eyes open.  The front and rear lips don't actually blend with the side skirt, so can be put on by themselves.

if you do change the steering wheel, most aftermarket are without an airbag, so need to think about that (safety and insurance). You would probably have to buy a boss as well to get the fit right.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

markiii

Quote from: "stargazer30"
Quote from: "Lippy"Ive spun it a little already tbh... 10 mins after buying it, wasnt being stupid just little gas off of a roundabout. No damage, just raised heartbeat!

I did warn you   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   Its not like driving a saxo regardless of the similar power output.  If you want to spend money it get yourself a racelogic traction control before you bin it!

Or just learn to drive it

andywood

Hi Lippy

Didn't take you long to get stuck into things, very impressed with the enthusiasm and commitment considering the weather/temps this time of year.

Have fun and make sure you look after it (got the impression you will   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

Andy.
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

Lippy

Currently fitted alpine headunit and working on shift light installation... but i cant seem to find anywhere on here that lists the wire location for the revs...
ANYONE KNOW WHERE IT IS AND WHAT COLOR OR PIN?

Dont worry andy she is being well looked after and yeah working on it in winter out back of my house  :-) :-) :-)

After shift light is done im wiring in my road angel i think! very easy to speed in this car and not even know about it...

Lippy

Here is my first upgrade...

Removed OEM stereo and fitted my old alpine unit from my saxo...
The surround is really flimsy and rattles so I set to it with some thin sound proofing and hey presto no more rattles... drilled a 14mm hole in the back with my come cutter so that my ipod can live in the shelf without visable wires.
I rewired the stereo and put a switch in line with the electric ariel as I dont listen to the radio much and its a waste of battery power imo and shortens the life of the electric ariel un-nesessarily.

Im amazed at the amount of space under the drivers side of the dash, you could almost put a nitrous bottle under there  s;) ;) s;)  ... Ive nearly finished doing the shift light but need to know where that rev's cable is before plugging it in...

Here are some pictures of the engine bay

Anyone know why I have a tube going from air intake pipe to the rocker cover?? is it a breather pipe for the rockers?

Tags: