Lippys SP Turbo - Rear splitter arrived

Started by Lippy, December 11, 2011, 03:36

Lippy

Cheers guys comments much appreciated!
Fibreglassing does take a long time because of all the cutting shaping and making it fit between layers! at a guess the sub box took a good 8 hours to make and ive done this before plenty... its deffinately not quick and easy like wood  but fits alot better and weighs nothing.
To learn fibreglassing iirc i watched videos on youtube, if you have any questions on it fire away
Ex SP240 Owner, looking for another boosted '2

stargazer30

Nice bit of box build that!  Did you measure the displacement vs what the sub needs?  ie fill it with water then measure the volume of water it holds?  Looking at it your above the min need for that sub so I guess it would be okay.

Also I'd be interested on your feedback of the sub in that position.  I had the same sub in a sealed MDF box in the same postion upward firing and it didn't work too well for me.  The sub didn't seem to punch very well and dropped too low.  It literally was producing sub bass only and rattling the car.  I tried a different front firing box, no joy. Then tried filtering out anything below 60hz no joy.  The only way I could get it to sound semi decent was to invert the phase so it fired into the box and used bass reflex but that had other side effects.   In the end I had to loose the JL sub and go with a mid range bass driver to reduce the lower sub bass frequencies and improve the mid bass area where my components were struggling a tad.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

JoniiBoii

Can I just ask something bud? What bulb is it your using in your inside door light? Any links please?

JiMR2

oni

This is the sort of thing your after;

just fleabay - festoon led light on ebay... orderd mine forever ago so cant remember exactly which one i got but this at least points you in the right direction.

AKA Cinnamon Jim

onion86

I did used to have a 12 LED one but it's actually only 'slightly' larger than the 6 LED but with much smaller LEDs, it also doesn't quite fit angled straight down (I had it angled in towards the car slightly). I ended up getting a 6 one instead and it's great, cost under £2 for 2 of them. The one above with 9 LEDs I think only come in 42mm, make sure you get a 32mm or it won't fit!

There are others on there which I think are like Lippy's which is a bulb shape to fit with a short wire going out to a separate LED strip, these would allow you to have more LEDs and have it closer to the cover so may give off more light.

LED dome bulb + clear light cover =   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

JoniiBoii

Really appreciate the help , but don't suppose anyone can find a link for me please? As I know I'll end up buying the wrong one lol

JoniiBoii

onion86

Quote from: "JoniiBoii"this one ?
That's the one I said I had but wasn't very good as the LEDs were small (also when I replaced it only 9 were still working), I've sent you a PM that should help out so as to stop filling Lippy's car thread with irrelevant posts, contact me via PM if you need more help rather than posting in here (or find an applicable thread to post in)  s:flame: :flame: s:flame:
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

uktotty

Quote from: "JiMR2"oni

This is the sort of thing your after;

just fleabay - festoon led light on ebay... orderd mine forever ago so cant remember exactly which one i got but this at least points you in the right direction.

31mm Festoon LED is what you need to search for

Lippy

Wow thats my spam bomb virginity lost...
I did have an 18 led panel light which was a pain to fit but the smd version as pictured is best for ease of installation!
I need a clear cover as at the moment i have none for best light... Dont forget to only get the 6 smd bulb not the 9 as they dont fit well

JoniiBoii

LOL sorry about the spam, got any pictures of your gauges ?

Lippy

Quote from: "JoniiBoii"LOL sorry about the spam, got any pictures of your gauges ?

Its fine dont worry about the messages... we all have questions  s:) :) s:)

Here are pictures of the gauges I have appart from I dont have the voltmeter one yet but it will be in the post shortly. They are awsome gauges and the color changing features is good to match any interior, I normally have Nos white, Water Blue, Oil the yellow oily color etc...

[centre:26km4xhi]

[/centre:26km4xhi]

JoniiBoii

wanna do mine please? LOL

Lippy

Basically finished the dash top gauge holder now... all it needs is for me to find a company to flock it for me...
Not sure if I should get it in red or black flock though?
Can anyone recommend me a flocking company that they have used? Ive always trimmed my stuff myself but the angles on this now its finished means thats not possable.

I finished it ages ago but had loads of room at the back of the panel so I decided to chop out the back end and chnage the design to include my desktop tomtom cradle, was a bit of a pain getting it at the right height to see the whole screen but not foul on the windscreen etc... also the charging cable and the audio cable needed to be fibreglassed on the bottom of the cradle so that there is no plugging in leads you just dump it on the dash.

Its pretty weak but it didnt need to be that strong tbh, heres some piccys before tomtom addition and finished

so now that is done I decided to start on the other gauge holder for the other 3 gauges... So far I have just chopped up the ashtray and the cig lighter and made room for the gauge holders to be fibreglassed in place, but it will be basically angles both upwards towards my face and pointing right so I can read them better (same as the top dash ones as all 3 point at my face)

Lippy

Quote from: "JoniiBoii"wanna do mine please? LOL

I generally dont do work on other people cars, it takes me a long time to do stuff like this and if I needed to charge for it then it would just be silly money.

I modify cars as an expensive hobby  s:) :) s:)

What gauges do you have? there are gauge holders on Ebay for £2.59 each and they just stick onto the top of the dashboard and you put the cabling inside some black tubing to keep things looking tidy :0

Anonymous

Got any more info on the gauges ie price and where from.

Lippy

Quote from: "rbuckingham"Got any more info on the gauges ie price and where from.

They come from America and the company is called glow shift. i have their shift light and they also do led lighting.
You can buy their stuff on ebay but delivery takes a while. its best if you can to get them from a uk retailler tbh! even though the price is slightly more.
All gauges come with matched sender units to ensure accuracy.
The nos one was 85
Rest are between 33 and 44 pounds
hope that helps

JoniiBoii

LOL dont worry i was joking, ive delt with Fibre glass before, was pretty darn time consuming , but one day i might do something , just a matter of finding the time, keep up the good work btw !!

Lippy

Quote from: "JoniiBoii"LOL dont worry i was joking, ive delt with Fibre glass before, was pretty darn time consuming , but one day i might do something , just a matter of finding the time, keep up the good work btw !!

Cheers dude appreciated! just waiting on more gauge pods in the post to chop up for the other gauge holder...
Then i have to do all the wiring for 6 gauges :-
I think i might do some interior lighting after that and change some exterior bulbs at the same time, ive alway liked being able to see my feet whilst driving so i might fit some dim red footwell lights to match the interior

JoniiBoii

sounds like a plan! keep us all posted on your progress bud!  s:) :) s:)

Lippy

Bit of an update... Ive run a 8 gauge power cable from the fused supply I put in for the amp which has been run under the carpet along the passenger side sill and up under the dash, im going to use this to supply a fuse box im going to wire up for all of my after market stuff and relays for lighting, nitrous (possably), and gauge power supplies etc... I just thought it would be easier then trying to find juicy sized cables and tap into the existing wiring loom all over the place and il be able to isolate everything aftermarket at the flip of a switch if I get problems.

Gave the car a good clean on Saturday washed, waxed, did the soft top with autoglym vinyl care and polished the exhaust tips which look like they hadnt been done for a good 9 months odd. Changed the number plate lights at the back swapped out halogens for some SMD led style lights which are nice and clear white rather than orange/yellow.

Autoglym metal polish is awsome (after a wipe but no polish)

After autoglym polish (il be buying more of this stuff) need to do the backbox next

Bonnet area got a good clean too as it was pretty filthy lol (interiour panel wipes and then some autoglym back to black bumper care to keep it black and shiney

Thought the car needed more red in it and had bought some Toyota red spray paint in preparation (the 3E5 color from Halfords) For now I just removed the gauge surrounds and resprayed them T-cutting after wards to try and get a nice flat finish in the laquer, came out really considering it was a rattle can in winter  s:) :) s:)  Whilst I was respraying that panel I drilled 2 x 3mm holes in it behind where the steering wheel sits from my driving position, these are going to have 3mm Red leds in them and be linked to the shift light, they are obscured on purpose by the steering wheel as that way il see the lights flash but not get blinded at 7k rpm needing to shift gear  s:) :) s:)

I had not laquered it or polished it or fitted the led's in this picture but gives an idea

JoniiBoii

Your imagination is unreal! Keep it up!

dj2k21

Just thought I would give you a heads up, I used Suffolk flocking services for all my interior flocking, very cheap too, I had my entire interior done for about £250 including carriage costs. They have a website and seem to do rally cars and things so have some good experience. Hope that helps mate.
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Lippy

Quote from: "JoniiBoii"Your imagination is unreal! Keep it up!

Cheers bud, got plenty of ideas just not enough hours in the day and parts are taking ages to arrive!

Quote from: "dj2k21"Just thought I would give you a heads up, I used Suffolk flocking services for all my interior flocking, very cheap too, I had my entire interior done for about £250 including carriage costs. They have a website and seem to do rally cars and things so have some good experience. Hope that helps mate.

I was thinking on using get flocked as they quoted £20 +vat to do the 1st gauge holder but then someone else replied saying £35 +vat and that no-one else from their company should have quoted me :/ seems like they are unsure of who can quote and who cant and the prices are very different!

Il see if I can find this suffolk company

Lippy

My personal  review on Osram Nightbreaker bulbs (h7 +90% light, facelift)

My existing bulbs were Osram but not tinted blue on the top and bottom of the bulbs (I think they are the OEM bulbs as previous owner said he didnt change any bulbs)

I fitted one bulb today and couldnt see any difference during the day which I guess can be expected, the upto 90% more light is accurate as upto 1000% would still be true... lol

I took her out for a drive in the dark, around town and down back roads etc... and finished my testing parked in absolute darkness up against a fence to look at the beam pattern. around town I honestly couldnt see any difference at all due to other lighting, in dimly lit areas ie inbetween street lamps I could see a small difference they were ever so slightly whiter and possable slightly brighter but nothing worth mentioning.

However on the back roads and areas with no other light you can see that the Nightbreaker bulb is both whiter and bluer, (its not a massive amount like HID's but I really didnt like avoiding police in the past because of HID's and they are now becomming illegal anyway) the brightness I would say is +10 / 15% in all honesty which is enough for me, the bulbs are still rated at 55watts each so no excessive draw through cables that are designed for that power bulb, the beam pattern seemed to be sharper where they kick left on the standard reflectors inside the lamp (might be due to the color difference). The light also seemed to be brighter at distance which is what it says on the packet so that is true also but not the 35meters it states to be fair.

For the £11 delivered I paid through Ebay with free delivery im pretty happy with them and would recommend them as an upgrade provided you dont mind fart arsing about fitting them as its so un-necessarily awkward and time consuming to do on our cars!

Tags: