2zz timing chain cover oil seal

Started by dcod, December 13, 2011, 18:59

dcod

Hi,

I've got to get an oil seal to stop a leak around my timing chain cover. I believe it's known as the rear crankshaft oil seal.

Is this the correct seal?

Will I need to supply anything else to my local garage? (There is a mention of a special tool to seat it)

m http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/produ ... ts_id=1128 m

m http://www.lotussport.org/manuals/timin ... l_seal.PDF m

Thanks,

Dave
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

dcod

Ok, so today was officially the last time I go to a Toyota dealer.

"I'm after a main crankcase oil seal"

Quote from: "Toyota"What's your registration number?

"Unfortunately, that won't help, I have a 2zz-ge engine in my MR2"

Quote from: "Toyota"What's that?

"Nevermind, I believe I have the correct part number 90311-85010"

Quote from: "Toyota"Ok, here's the part. Unfortunately, we can't guarantee it's the correct part you require as the part description is just 'oil seal'. That'll be £37 please.

"Thanks but I'll get it from Monkeywrenchracing for $22."
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

aaronjb

'rear crankshaft oil seal' almost always refers to the one behind the flywheel, not the one at the nose end of the crank (that's the 'front' of the engine)..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

dcod

Quote from: "aaronjb"'rear crankshaft oil seal' almost always refers to the one behind the flywheel, not the one at the nose end of the crank (that's the 'front' of the engine)..

Thanks, that confirms I have the correct part ... just got to find a supplier that isn't going to rip me off for a small piece of rubber ...

Anonymous

And a pain to change then as you will have to remove the box and flywheel to do it

dcod

Quote from: "rbuckingham"And a pain to change then as you will have to remove the box and flywheel to do it

Box? Gearbox?

FGrob

Quote from: "rbuckingham"And a pain to change then as you will have to remove the box and flywheel to do it
What the timing chain - crank oil seal   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:    s:scared: :scared: s:scared:    s:scared: :scared: s:scared:
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

dcod

Quote from: "FGrob"
What the timing chain - crank oil seal   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:    s:scared: :scared: s:scared:    s:scared: :scared: s:scared:

Gave my mechanic the Toyota repair manual and was quoted a less than 2 hour job.

m http://madstyle1972.com/Repair/14/201jec05/x040001.pdf m

MattPerformance

Quote from: "dcod"...an oil seal to stop a leak around my timing chain cover...

That'll be the front crank seal then (which means that MWR one is not he right one).  Not sure how the job changes with it being a 2zz but two hours sounds about right.

Anonymous

Quote from: "FGrob"

no rear crank oil seal as arron pointed out. but going what other post say it being timing chain end then that be the front oil seal surely. is thread is getting confusing.

dcod

RIghthand side, behind the bottom pulley (on a 2zz).

dcod

Quote from: "MattPerformance"That'll be the front crank seal then (which means that MWR one is not he right one).  Not sure how the job changes with it being a 2zz but two hours sounds about right.

Quote from: "aaronjb"'rear crankshaft oil seal' almost always refers to the one behind the flywheel, not the one at the nose end of the crank (that's the 'front' of the engine)..

Thanks guys, nearly got the wrong one! Did some more investigation and you are spot on.

This is what I need ...

m http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/produ ... ts_id=1129 m

Unfortunately, $38 is the cheapest MWR will do for delivery   s:( :( s:(   so I'll have to get an expensive one from the UK. Looks cheaper than the 'rear' one though   s:D :D s:D

dcod

All fixed, £102 (I supplied the oil and seal)   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

I may ring Toyota tomorrow and get a quote ... just for fun   s:D :D s:D  

On a side note, I had a Citroen C1 VTR (60 reg) as a courtesy car ... my car (x reg) feels 10x better quality than that P.O.S!   s:D :D s:D

Tags: