2ZZGE under performing lacking mid range torque

Started by steve b, December 19, 2011, 15:41

steve b

My cars currently away having had a 2ZZGE swap.  It has failed to perform on the dyno from the outset, lacking mid range and about 5bhp at the top end.  It's had different manifolds, exhausts, decat section, induction, 2 different aftermarket ECU's and still it doesn't do as it should.

Anyone every heard of this sort of problem before and maybe able to shed any light?  Next thing that's going to be investigated is the timing chain.
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

Anonymous

timing might be a poss. also there control valve for the lift might be worth a look

steve b

Control valve for lift has been checked and is fine.  Garage thinks it must be a mechanical issue as neither ECU flagged anything electrical / sensor related.  Oh compression has been tested and it's all good.
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "steve b"Control valve for lift has been checked and is fine.  Garage thinks it must be a mechanical issue as neither ECU flagged anything electrical / sensor related.  Oh compression has been tested and it's all good.

Can you post up a dyno graph? The 2zz naturally has a drop out in torque just before and after lift comes in. As for missing 5bhp at the top end, that could easily be manifold related. A high revving motor like the 2zz will be very manifold sensitive.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

SteveJ

You could easily be loosing 5bhp to oil that is too thick or manufacturing tolerances. The 189 bhp is a nominal figure obtained from a random sample of engines - you could easily have one that is at the low end of the output spread (lets face facts - 5bhp is only 1%) and unless this is a brand-new engine straight out of it's crate some of the horses will have made a successful bid for freedom.

steve b

I'm aware the 2ZZGE's never make the claimed figures from when I was on the Lotus boards, this is talking down on all the other cars they have converted.  I have not got dyno prints they are all with the tuning companys involved, but they say its significantly down on torque and feels gutless i.e. they are not happy giving me the car back as things are obviously wrong.

p.s. fact is 5 is not 1% of 189 it's 2.646%  s;) ;) s;)  and its probably more as they are not using 189 as the benchmark as no 2ZZ's make that in their experience either.

Its had a power FC on it and then a Link G4 to try and determine whats wrong, both ECU mapped on the rollers produce the same result and show no faults.

Its had 2 types of manifold fitted, one of the ones like the monkeywrench / TRD style the other a straighter more common shape 4-2, both same results, stock air box and K&N no difference, stock back box and a cobra, no difference, cat in place and decat, no difference.  Compression tested, reads fine, lift bolts fine, new oil, Celica box internals, 1ZZ LSD, Elise Parts baffled sump.

Engine was supplied by a different company with 100% feedback on ebay, they supplied photos of it coming out of a rear ended 2003 Celica with 54,000miles on it.

ChrisGB

Could it be stuck on lift, so not engaging the low speed can profile?

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Ilogik

I'll hazard a gues ad say your usin the wrong size induction. Kit and pipe work. T needs a 70mm thickness all the way through. What power did yours make? Also if your using Thor to map your car I would go elsewhere they did a crap job 6 times in a row on my old turbo. Went elsewhere in the end.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Tags: