standard audio, what is it?

Started by Deadmanwalking, December 31, 2011, 22:44

Deadmanwalking

HodJay

4 days and counting......................tick tock........tick tock...............  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D
TOPS DOWN DRIVE THU THE NIGHT CLICK HERE] viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37365

HodJay

Set up insurance today  s:P :P s:P  I can drive it from 12pm on Sat  s:D :D s:D   s:D :D s:D   s:D :D s:D  Please nobody ask prices hahaha...seriously, never ever ask me  s;) ;) s;)
Finished hunting for my first MR2, Any advice is still MORE than welcome!! \":D\"

AmeR

Quote from: "HodJay"Set up insurance today  s:P :P s:P  I can drive it from 12pm on Sat  s:D :D s:D   s:D :D s:D   s:D :D s:D  Please nobody ask prices hahaha...seriously, never ever ask me  s;) ;) s;)

Good stuff. So.... How much was it?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

By the way, the surround that goes around the autoleads adaptor (or the one in my for sale thread!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ) is the facelift panel that goes around the facelift stereo. Jut clip it on afterwards since it's an 06!

HodJay

Quote from: "AmeR"By the way, the surround that goes around the autoleads adaptor (or the one in my for sale thread!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ) is the facelift panel that goes around the facelift stereo. Jut clip it on afterwards since it's an 06!

Ohhhhh yhhhhhh...you guys have far too much stuff, I'm a bit worried I'll end up being just as bad.......or worse :O hahaha.

Depending on what happens with the car, I'll keep my eye on that AmeR!

Also referring to the Insurance....shush, I'll never say Mwahahahaha  s;) ;) s;)
Finished hunting for my first MR2, Any advice is still MORE than welcome!! \":D\"

Deadmanwalking

Quote from: "HodJay"Thanks again guys....and sorry for the take over of the Thread, sure its interesting for you too though David  s:) :) s:)

Jonny hi, it very interesting for me and I appreciate you asking questions.............answers from which I shall personnally be benefitting from.  s:D :D s:D

Anyone know where i can buy a double din false draw front  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Fatbloater

"And if money gets tight it is very tempting to sell Fatbloater (brilliant name btw  )"

Thanks, its the wifes little pet name for me. Not sure why...ahem...

You'll need a toyota to ISO lead when swapping stereo too, they're a couple of quid off ebay, I bought the full lot, surround and ISO cable from a company called liquid ice for about 15 quid. It takes some chopping so you'll need a dremel or similar tool.
When you come to do it feel free to ask what all the spare connectors are that went into the old stereo...its a secret only known to Toyota apparently  :-) :-) :-)
MR2 \'Red\' Edition - \'54 Reg.  Mods : Clarion FZ709E Single Din Stereo, Pre-cats Removed

"WAX On - WAX Off"

Anonymous

You mean the plate that hides your expensive stereo?

HodJay

Quote from: "Fatbloater""And if money gets tight it is very tempting to sell Fatbloater (brilliant name btw  )"

Thanks, its the wifes little pet name for me. Not sure why...ahem...

Haha Lovely name  s:P :P s:P .....my girlfriend just calls me a dumb arse lol

Thats cool, If I get to a stage where I'm actually going to go ahead and mess with the HU i'll be sure to ask for some advice when I get lost with what plugs where when i have a load left over haha. I'll probably end up asking exactly what wiring i'll need to get off ebay..read so many threads about removing them, I should be able to do it with my eyes closed!  s:P :P s:P

And yh I think thats what David means...I'd quite like to know too  s:) :) s:)

Deadmanwalking

Quote from: "dick2ski"You mean the plate that hides your expensive stereo?

Indeed I do.  s:D :D s:D  

I'm looking to buy 200 to 300 sobs worth of head unit that gives me:

Radio (pref dab/FM)
CD
bluetooth connectivity for iphone so that i can stream music
bluetooth connectivity so that i can make and take calls through the sound system.
usb connectivity to charge iphone

Any suggestions?

Also can I just buy some new speakers to upgrade existing system and it make a real difference? I dont need subs behind my seat etc, just want a decent bit of quality sound that can handle metal on high volume  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Ive got the cover plate, but it may not clip onto every HU. Might need a little modification. £12 incl pnp.

Deadmanwalking

Quote from: "dick2ski"Ive got the cover plate, but it may not clip onto every HU. Might need a little modification. £12 incl pnp.

Yes please assuming its the false draw looking one. Cheers  s:D :D s:D

stargazer30

Quote from: "Deadmanwalking"
Quote from: "dick2ski"Also can I just buy some new speakers to upgrade existing system and it make a real difference? I dont need subs behind my seat etc, just want a decent bit of quality sound that can handle metal on high volume  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Sorry no.  Probs to deal with going that route;
1. The stock HU will not drive decent or even half decent aftermarket components at high volume without clipping, especially on saturated music like metal.
2. The MR2 needs move audio volume than a normal car as it has more road noise to mess with your audio.
2. Sub bass needs even more power so we are talking 4ch amp to drive the sub and components (JBL 4ch amp about £90 new)
3. The MR2 is a fine handling car but it has terrible accoustics especially for sub bass.  You'll find even with a sub the bass bleeds away as the road noise increases with speed and with the roof down it just goes out the window (well erm out the roof actually)

The best compromise I've come up for sound quality vs weight/cost with in the MR2 after several installs is..
4ch amp and JVC HU (£90 + £180)
half decent components (expect to pay ~ £100)
small 6" DIY mid bass/sub (£30 off ebay! after trying several expensive subs!, box built for free by me)
and most importantly - £20 B&Q flashing tape to fully sound deaden the doors, really can't emphasize that enough, decent speakers are totally wasted on stock/undeadened doors.

I actually found with fully sound deadened doors you could get away without a sub if you have decent components and a amp driving them.  You will still get decent mid bass.  The problem is power at high volumes, components can't do bass and high frequencies at once without some loss of quality.  A sub or separate mid bass in a sealed box takes the load of the components which cleans them up at higher volumes.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

AmeR

I've got a unamped components in the (flashing taped) doors and an amped 6" underdash sub. All run from a decent headunit and I find it to be pretty good!

I don't agree that you need amped components unless you want it very loud.

Just don't skimp too much on elements that you buy or you'll end up paying twice as much when you swap them out again!!!

Deadmanwalking

stargazer30 thanks for taking the time to explain all of that. AmeR many thanks too.

I guess that i am not looking to start stripping the car apart in order to achieve the ministy of sound in the cabin  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  

It would be nice to get in the car and automatically connect my iphone via built in bluetooth so this will mean replacing the HU. If its possible to swap out the existing speakers during hu install time and obtain an improved sound then that would be great, if It sounds the same then i still have my bluetooth connection and music streaming which is a big plus for me. Very loud clear music would be nice but not essential I guess. Anyone know of a HU unit that fulfils my needs but must be in the sales   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Don of Croy

Search the threads on fitting the JVC type - I did mine last spring and it was easier than I thought, although it required a bit of plugging in and out to get it sorted. Been working AOK since and I've not bothered with the speakers as the quality at present is acceptable.

Bluetooth hands free telephone - ha ha ha - wait 'till you get a call with the top down, they cannot hear a word! Tell them later you were caught in a vortex and they'll believe it from the sound effects.
MR2 Roadster Lagoon Blue + SMT + Hard Top + Air Con
Volvo V70 D5 SE with loads of extras...
Honda Jazz - first choice for town use when we can\'t fit in the \'flip flop\' (MR2)

stargazer30

Quote from: "Don of Croy"Bluetooth hands free telephone - ha ha ha - wait 'till you get a call with the top down, they cannot hear a word! Tell them later you were caught in a vortex and they'll believe it from the sound effects.

Why on earth would you want to take a call on a roof down day   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   Agree I put the mic near the sun visor and its hopeless with the roof down but hey I hate calls whilst dirving anyway so I just didn't move it.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

filcee

Quote from: "stargazer30"Why on earth would you want to take a call on a roof down day   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
Pfft.  Answer it.  Sound smug.  Go on and on and on and on and on about how hard it is to hear with the roof down (pref. on a good A road/motorway) on such a lovely day.  Rinse.  Repeat.

They'll get the message and stop calling you in the car.

(You can also look forward to being mercilessly ribbed about this at every possible future opportunity.  Small price to pay.  s:-D :-D s:-D  )
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Deadmanwalking

Quote from: "Don of Croy"Bluetooth hands free telephone - ha ha ha - wait 'till you get a call with the top down, they cannot hear a word! Tell them later you were caught in a vortex and they'll believe it from the sound effects.

Never even thought about that one, oops  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  

Perhaps i should just get myself a nice looking head unit with SD card or similar. Really like the idea of a reversing camera as every time i get out of the car, the end of the parking space is still 20 feet away!  s:? :? s:?    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:? :? s:?  

thanks for all the ideas and thoughts posted up, its really helping me.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quotethe end of the parking space is still 20 feet away!

Should have gone to specsavers!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: