2nd Hand MR2 - Damsel in distress needs advice!

Started by Anonymous, January 3, 2012, 20:28

Anonymous

Hi. I am new to the forum and am looking for advice on a second hand mr2 roaster (1.8 VVTI yr 2000) that I have seen for sale. I do not know much about cars so hope someone on here who knows about mr2's can help me.  This is what the guy says on the advert...

IT DRIVES BEAUTIFULLY BUT JUDDERS A BIT WHEN U PRESS GAS AND THIS IS DUE TO NEEDING A NEW CRANK SHAFT SENSOR(£30-£40 ON EBAY)I CHANGED A THROTLE BODY AND WAS OK BUT NOW THE MECHANIC TELLS ME TO CHANGE CRANK SHAFT SENSOR TOO.

Can anyone tell me if this sounds right? The car seems like a bargin but I just want to be sure.

Can anyone help this damsel in distress?

Thank you!  l posting.php?mode=post&f=11# l

Anonymous

Ive been watching that one on ebay. It does look cheap! If it is a crankshaft sensor, its cheap and easy to change, so not sure why he hasnt had it done.

Can you afford a big bill if its something else?

Oh, and welcome to the club!

uktotty

Tell us how much it is and the mileage etc.
General rule is, if its broken walk away, if its a £30 fix, get the seller to fix it

mrzwei

Hi
Have to agree with D!ck and Russ here. If all it needs is a £30 / £40 sensor then why hasn't the seller just replaced it and then asked more money?

There could be a lot of reasons causing a car to judder but in my experience something like a dodgy sensor usually causes poor starting issues and it can often be just a loose connection.
It really needs somebody with a good code reader to help identify a problem.

Ask the seller if the mechanic identified any fault codes.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

uktotty

Found it, it's in Slough so I can go take a look with you
 m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-TOYOTA-M ... 1074456748 m

loadswine

Looks remarkably suspicious to me. I would most definitely avoid that. Its pictured outside what looks to be a workshop. ( Looks like an engine stand outside)
Poor spelling, caps lock stuck on, bears all the hallmarks of grief.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

If you buy it and get stung, I can buy it to break for parts, so you wont loose much.

Anonymous

Wow! Thank you all for your help, I really apreciate it. It sounds like I should avoid this one I think!

Always good to ask the advice of people who know about these things

Cheers : )

K T M Rider

This ebayer appears to be reasonable when selling cars according to feedback:   

ITEM NOT AS DESCRIBED BUT SELLER HAS OFFERED FULL REFUND, CANT BE FAIRER   pvs10 ( 686)     25-May-10 22:15
Feedback was revised on 26-May-10 21:03
    1999 MAZDA MX-5 BLUE SPORTS CONVERTIBLE !!! (#230460145760)   £1,600.00
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

mrzwei

Alan
I agree that the ad is perfectly reasonable and sounds honest and is obviously by a guy who uses ebay to sell things and is used to tyre kickers.
But, don't increase the value of a car by spending 40 quid? That 'judder' could be a money pit, clutch, cam sensor, injectors, ecu, driveshafts, gearbox etc., or an easy fix. You'd need to be a competent mechanic or a car breaker to buy it.

Dave
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Fatbloater

I'd buy it if it was closer...the interior, wheels, double din stereo and soft top are probably worth the value of the sale alone. Then you're left to strip and flog whatevers left at a tidy profit. Even if the engine were knackered sell the leather and wheels, go to cloth / standard you'll have enough left for an engine slap bang job done cheap fun.
MR2 \'Red\' Edition - \'54 Reg.  Mods : Clarion FZ709E Single Din Stereo, Pre-cats Removed

"WAX On - WAX Off"

uktotty

D1ck, how easy is it for you to supply the sensor? and we fit it when we get there?

Anonymous

I sent a dead engine to the breakers this morning! Got another coming in tomorrow though. Mattperformance will have one if its urgent.

MattPerformance

I've got several spares, but, err, can you tell me how you can change it with the engine in situ?!

(Have to say that the claim of the "WAY 2 HEAVEN" number plate being worth £500 is far from "honest")

Toplesscouple

Quote from: "MattPerformance"I've got several spares, but, err, can you tell me how you can change it with the engine in situ?!

Aah, so that's the catch. 30 quid part, 300 quid labour by the sounds of it.

Anonymous

You may see that as a deal killer, or a bargaining tool.

Wabbitkilla

Price is good as a breaker, if you want a car to run I reckon it's a heart breaker.
One to avoid ... if it was an easy fix, the seller would have fixed it.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

+1. Thats why I was watching it!

onion86

Quote from: "dick2ski"+1. Thats why I was watching it!
Dibs on the front bumper!  s;) ;) s;)
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Anonymous

Ive got black bumpers already.

K T M Rider

Quote from: "MattPerformance"I've got several spares, but, err, can you tell me how you can change it with the engine in situ?!

(Have to say that the claim of the "WAY 2 HEAVEN" number plate being worth £500 is far from "honest")

Given what some garages seem to charge for simple jobs (O2 sensors) I did wonder if 'twas down to the cost of fitting, not to mention (as already pointed out) the cost of the other parts required if/when the CPS fails to cure the problem.

Got to agree on the number plate, would have to knock £25 off for that to cover the hassle & expense of changing them for ones that don't make me look like a deluded moron every time someone asks what it's supposed to represent.
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

MattPerformance

Quote from: "KTM_RIDER"Got to agree on the number plate, would have to knock £25 off for that to cover the hassle & expense of changing them for ones that don't make me look like a deluded moron every time someone asks what it's supposed to represent.

Mods, can we have a "Like" button please?!!!    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Stephster

^^ + 1
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !
Gone over to the dark side - 05 Black Z4 2.0i se with red leather.

Anonymous

Herumph! Just bought the wife a plate for christmas. P6DNR. Just hides the age a bit (not really as its correct, age wise at 1997) and looks better than standard.

And as she runs a crumblies home DNR stands for? Do Not Resuscitate!

Note, it was on for a week and her gardener finally pointed it out. She hadnt noticed. s:( :( s:(

Tags: