Rubber bushes?

Started by ADam, January 4, 2012, 15:01

ADam

Hi

I was wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction.

Looking through the last owners MOT via online i saw 2 advisory:

"Nearside Front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)"

"Offside Front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)"

As im a very novice mechanic   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Can someone help me with which parts to get?  And cheapest  s:D :D s:D  

Thanks

Alan

mr-ed_smt

They haven't elaborated on which bushes within the front suspension have deteriorated, so its difficult to say. There are a number of options for you as I see it:

- "if its not broke, don't fix it" - leave them until they start to properly deteriorate - could last a lot longer?
    - replace both front suspension arms. this will automatically replace all the arm bushes, and is easiest if you're DIY-ing (bushes are a nightmare to remove/replace by themselves). Obviously not the cheapest way though. You'll need a decent tool kit, inc ball joint splitter.
    - Identify the offending bushes and replace with OEM rubber bushes. Probably the cheapest options, but very difficult to remove/replace the bushes from the existing control arm.
    - Identify the offending bushes and replace with polybushes for hugely improved handling/turn-in etc. more expensive than OEM rubber, but worth it if you're going to the trouble of replacing them yourself. You could event replace all your bushes with polybushes...

without the right kit (usually a big f-off press) replacing bushes DIY can be difficult. there are some cunning tools available to help you however (do a search for "bushing tool") - although its still potentially difficult. try fleabay, prolex etc for polybushes (search "zzw30"), or MrT or Eurocarparts etc for entire arms and OEM rubber bushes.
[size=85]The never ending project - cherished daily driver, to fully-caged track toy![/size]

Tags: