Which Power Steering Fluid

Started by catkins, January 9, 2012, 16:37

catkins

Ok so have browsed here and the interweb and found that apparently, my 2 needs "Toyota Electro-Hydraulic power steering fluid (part no 08886-01206)" power steering fluid.

Quick question; will this stuff do any harm to my car if I cant get the above for a short period of time?

m http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... zone=PLPz1 m

Thanks
[size=150]Clare[/size]

2001 Y reg MR-2, metallic blue.  Owned since March 2010.  Loving every mile!

ChrisGB

Given the cost of a new pump, I would not risk it. Far cheaper to hire a car for a day or two imo.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

ChrisGB

Mod action, moved to maintenance forum.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

Others on here have driven without power assistance for a while.

mrzwei

I have to say that it's difficult not to agree with Chris, but I personally doubt that using the Halfords universal fluid would damage the system. The main problem is that all of the car manufacturers try to keep a monopoly on the spec of their particular fluid when in reality it probably all comes from the same jar!
Historically, there are reported issues of seal failure, albeit over very very high milages, if you use the wrong fluid. I think the difference is between organic and synthetic but I may be wrong.
Same problem with SMT hydraulic fluid.

Personally, I would use it and have on the Saab but never had to on the 2.

If it's just a top up then I'd use it for sure. I wonder what your local indy woud use?
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

QuoteI wonder what your local indy woud use?

An l in would!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

mrzwei

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   I meant what wood
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.

Dyn-Evo

Personally, I wouldn't risk it....!

What would I do?

Well, if you need to top up your fluid (rather than a full system refill?), then its simple:

1) Check to see why the level is low in the first place: the level shouldn't really fall at all, so you could have a leak..?
2) Buy the Toyota stuff, top up your system....  s:D :D s:D  ]
3) Buy some 250ml plastic bottles off Ebay.
4) Decant EHPS fluid into said bottles, and sell to MR2ROC members for a nominal fee...?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

catkins

*whimpers*

I have a leak, the pipes have rusted and d1ick2ski is kindly sending me another set.  I was driving the car for around a week before christmas, with grinding sounds from the steering wheel getting progressively worse and when I saw the oil on my drive I put two and two together. I parked it up and havent driven it for two weeks until I could get it into a garage to confirm the pipes need replacing and sort out getting them replaced, which I did yesterday.  I was concerned that continuing to run to car on NO fluid would do more damage to the extremely expensive pump than running it around with this fluid in it.  There was fluid still in the resevoir but below the minimum marker so I topped it up with this stuff from Halfrauds.  Since topping it up, the grinding has stopped.  

I have expressed to my other half my concern about using the correct fluid, but he has insisted that it will be fine to drive to work and back (5 miles each way) for a week until I get the new pipes, and I intend to get the "proper" stuff from Toyota and drain and re-fill with that.

I'm now at work, with my car in the car park.  Not sure whether to continue driving it....   s:? :? s:?    s:scared: :scared: s:scared:
[size=150]Clare[/size]

catkins

Ps. I noticed when starting it after picking up from the garage yesterday a "P/S" light flash up briefly on my dashboard.  First time I've seen this in the 4-5 times I have started the car since topping the fluid up.

I'm really worried now... :-/
[size=150]Clare[/size]

Dyn-Evo

I would suggest your other half is right, as long as its short-term (very!)....  s:? :? s:?  

Having seen inside, it is likely that running the pump empty WILL destroy it within a minute, as the pump vane assembly relies on the fluid for lubrication and cooling.

After you get the replacement pipes, fill with the Toyota stuff: but now it'll be necessary to actually drain the WHOLE system, as you have mixed the types of fluid...?

I'm not saying 100% that the Halfords stuff WILL cause problems, but as you now have a mixture, it possible / likely that they'll combine with detrimental effects, long term....

Maybe not..but its not worth the risk, tbh...?   s:? :? s:?  

Just out of interest, how stiff IS the steering in "fail" mode..? Is it like a normal pre-PS car, or is it silly hard..? (   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  )

If its not too bad, then if you unplug the connectors from the motor then it'll just be you and the rack: no electronic  / unpredicatable interferences..
I suppose, short-term, you COULD drain the system, leaving fluid in the rack, and join the 2 pipes out of the rack together, basically bypassing the the pump, but retaining the rack lubrication...?

That way, you wont be fighting the piston in the PS mechanism, as you will be if you just unplug everything and leave the pump inline.....?
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.

catkins

I havent actually experienced any change in the feel of the steering at all, so I'm assuming I stopped driving it before it got to the point where it was being affected.  It has felt just as light as normal with no difficulties in turning.  I was getting the grinding noise only when I turned the wheel to the extremities but not when only slight steering.  

Since topping it up, its driven around 30 miles, so I might just park it up for the rest of the week now and wait til I can get it fixed.  I knew I would have to completely drain and re-fill due to the mixing of the fluids so thats fine.  I'm assuming it'll have to be drained to replace the pipes anyway, so I'm going to buy the toyota fluid and ask the garage to fill it back up with that when he does the pipes.
[size=150]Clare[/size]

K T M Rider

Quote from: "Dyn-Evo"After you get the replacement pipes, fill with the Toyota stuff: but now it'll be necessary to actually drain the WHOLE system, as you have mixed the types of fluid...?

sounds like good practice to me, to use all fresh fluid anyway

Quote from: "Dyn-Evo"1) Check to see why the level is low in the first place: the level shouldn't really fall at all, so you could have a leak..?
2) Buy the Toyota stuff, top up your system....  s:D :D s:D  ]
3) Buy some 250ml plastic bottles off Ebay.
4) Decant EHPS fluid into said bottles, and sell to MR2ROC members for a nominal fee...?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

i like your entrepreneurial spirit   s:) :) s:)
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

catkins

Ok just rang my local Toyota garage and he seemed vague about how sensitive the system is and that they have "Dextron 3" on the shelf, and that they "just use that".

Getting a bit confused now.  Is this the right stuff and if not, where on earth can I get the proper stuff from???
[size=150]Clare[/size]

Dev

We have had many  in the US that have topped off our fluid with non  EHPS fluid only to have the PS pump fail in due time.
 I wouldn't have risked it and I too have suffered as a result of topping off my fluid. Right after topping off the fluid my PS became noisy and then it failed after a months time.

Dyn-Evo

s:? :? s:?  

I've often wondered about the various "Liquid Gold" oils that Toyota use / specify....!!  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  
(Mk1 4AGZE supercharger oil springs immediately to mind..!)

Dexron 3 is a General Motors GEARBOX oil, ffs...!?  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  
It is somewhat thinner than Dexron 1+2, but is for gearboxes, nonetheless....

So..Toyota themselves say they use "Dexron 3" in the EHPS application, do they...?

Thats either B/S.....or there's a rip-off going on here.....  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Dev

Quote from: "Dyn-Evo":?

I've often wondered about the various "Liquid Gold" oils that Toyota use / specify....!!  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  
(Mk1 4AGZE supercharger oil springs immediately to mind..!)

Dexron 3 is a General Motors GEARBOX oil, ffs...!?  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  
It is somewhat thinner than Dexron 1+2, but is for gearboxes, nonetheless....

So..Toyota themselves say they use "Dexron 3" in the EHPS application, do they...?

Thats either B/S.....or there's a rip-off going on here.....  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I do not know and wouldn't presume to know how your dealers operate, however in the US many of the dealers have ruined others peoples PS pumps  by using regular PS fluid.
 I was also advised by the dealer to use regular PS fluid and one other dealer asked me to use ATF fluid which is the Dexron which is incorrect.
After many discussions on Spyderchat this misinformation came to light when someone pointed out that the newer Toyota cars have Electric Steering and use the Dexron.
Unknown to the that person there is a difference between an electric steering unit and a hydro-electric pump which our cars are fitted with.
There have been some that have substituted a different kind of EPS fluid for the SMT transmission only to have the 0 rings swell and cause a ruined pump.

Your best and safest bet is to pay the price for the expensive EHPS fluid. Maybe it's a re-badged fluid that you can get cheaper somewhere else, I don't know but what I do know is that it's certainly not regular PS fluid.

onion86

Quote from: "Dev"Your best and safest bet is to pay the price for the expensive EHPS fluid. Maybe it's a re-badged fluid that you can get cheaper somewhere else, I don't know but what I do know is that it's certainly not regular PS fluid.
+1 to that!

Quote from: "catkins"Getting a bit confused now.  Is this the right stuff and if not, where on earth can I get the proper stuff from???
Give that part number in your 1st post to MrT and they surely should get it for you... I can't believe they'd suggest they would use something different though, that can't be good!
N.B. in Jul 2010 it cost me £29.75 for 1 litre so I'd assume it's quite a bit over the £30 mark now as it was about £24 in 2009!
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

mrzwei

Quote from: "catkins"Ok just rang my local Toyota garage and he seemed vague about how sensitive the system is and that they have "Dextron 3" on the shelf, and that they "just use that

I really do hate to say 'I told you so'. Your other half was right. I think we need a response from 'oilman' if he still posts.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

catkins

Ok guys, thanks so much for all the replies, I really appreciate your help.

After topping up the fluid on Sunday, I drove it around 15 miles to charge up the battery as I needed to go pick something up and didnt have any other transport.  My other half drove it a further 20 miles on the Monday morning, before dropping it at the garage and then I picked it up and drove it the 500 yards home.  

Since then, I have not driven it on recommendation! The idiot in the Toyota garage said they have this stuff on the shelf at £7 a litre.  I just rang again and gave them the part number... he has to order it in, and its £31 + vat.  Honestly, I worry for people who just trust these plonkers if they cant even give the right advice.  I even said to him "I understand the systems are sensitive on the MR2's, and have been told that I need specific fluid" to which he answered "Oh, well, we just use the Dexron."  *annoyed sigh*

So, pipes are here.. just need to check all ok and cover them in something to prevent rust and then get it in the garage next week and get it filled with the PROPER stuff.  

Panic (almost) over.  Hopefully that 30 odd miles wont have damaged the pump?
[size=150]Clare[/size]

Dyn-Evo

Quote from: "catkins"I just rang again and gave them the part number... he has to order it in, and its £31 + vat.  
I even said to him "I understand the systems are sensitive on the MR2's, and have been told that I need specific fluid" to which he answered "Oh, well, we just use the Dexron."  *annoyed sigh*

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Well that just about ensures that I won't ever trust dealer info again.....!!

He cannot be serious (man!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ): there must be a misunderstanding...?

Unless he's just admitted to you that all the EHPS fluid they have topped up during services was filled using the WRONG stuff...

..or that he has not been trained properly...?   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Bad news, though, either way...?  s:? :? s:?

ChrisGB

This kind of incompetence probably accounts for a number of failed pumps.

Chris

catkins

Dont know, but I will certainly be raising it with however serves me on Saturday when I collect the real stuff.  Although I've avoided it, I still feel annoyed that despite me actually saying that I understood I needed specific stuff, he still just said "oh, we just use that" and I feel annoyed for other people who may have and will trust that.
[size=150]Clare[/size]

oilman

I've checked all our databases and it seems that your cars specifically need the Toyota stuff. They don't say why it needs the Toyota stuff, but I can't recommned anything else.

Cheers

Tim
Use the code MR2OC and get 10% Club Discount
oilman\'s website: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ - register for news and offers
email: sales@opieoils.co.ukphone: 01209 202944

catkins

thanks for checking Tim.  My wallet will be £30 lighter this weekend lol
[size=150]Clare[/size]

Tags: