10w-40 oil??

Started by js1mr2, January 9, 2012, 22:40

js1mr2

I just had my mr2 serviced and MOT'd and was looking at the bill and noticed that 10W-40 oil was used. I know in the manual it recommends 5W-30 so is it worth going back to the garage and asking them to change it? What are the likely consequences of using 10W-40 Castrol Semi Synthetic?

Cheers Jeremy

frogger

Will it do any damage? Certainly not.
Did they put the "correct" oil in though - Nope.

Generally - 10W40 is thicker across all temps compared to 5W30
Therefore you could say when the engine is cold + weather is cold 10W will theoretically provide less protection (than 5W).
But in reality - both will provide adequate protection, and of course you wouldnt be driving it hard when cold anyway  s:) :) s:)

Most opt to use 5W30 all year round, simply because its proven and Mr T says to.
Some use 10W40 all year round
Some use 10W40 to reduce oil consumption on a engine that has started to give way
Some use 10W40 in summer and 5W30 in winter (generally no one intentionally runs 10W40 in winter and 5W30 in summer)

Most probably wouldn't worry about the swap.

Even if you stick with it, I'd still complain to the servicer and try n get ur next change discounted... but I'm tight  s:) :) s:)

roger

You might also like to consider what type of oil to use as well. This post has all the details, and a peruse of the whole thread will give quite a bit of info.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

MattPerformance

Quote from: "frogger"Did they put the "correct" oil in though - Nope.

I have to disagree with you there.  10W40 grade is an approved grade for the MR2 Roadster, it says so in the handbook and it is used by Toyota main dealers too.

oilman

A 5w-30 or 10w-40 are both okay to use, but we tend to recommend a 5w-40 as it gives good cold start protection while burning off less oil than with a 5w-30
Use the code MR2OC and get 10% Club Discount
oilman\'s website: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ - register for news and offers
email: sales@opieoils.co.ukphone: 01209 202944

dj2k21

I use 10w 40 valvoline and land rover mtf94 in my gearbox I find valvoline to be a brilliant oil and probably would never use anything else in the roadster. The mtf94 makes my gearbox really smooth and like new, I think it's actually used in the diffs on land rovers but works great as a box fluid too  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Tags: