Steering troubles

Started by MelBee42, January 10, 2012, 09:30

MelBee42

Hello all.
Yesterday my power steering failed. However, bizarrely, it seems to be working intermittently. I've checked the fluid level and it seems fine. No warning lights after start up. The car is currently veering (veering being the operative word!) constantly between handling like a tank and handling normally. Mainly it's the tank thing, though.

In case it helps, the car is pre-facelift (2001).

Is there anything simple I can check without having to book more time off work to take it to the garage again? (I think they're sick of seeing me!)

Thank you!  s:) :) s:)

Dyn-Evo

Can you be more specific about "failed"?

Can you hear the pump whining still, or is it just dead?
If its intermittent, can you hear the pump when it works and not when it doesn't...(iyswim!  s:D :D s:D  )

Strange you have no warning light..?

Have you a code reader?

You could try unplugging all 3 plugs under the pump, then starting the car and seeing what happens?
Maybe take it for a drive? I'm not sure how hard the steering is without the pump on, though, so be careful..!

I think this will be an increasing problem with these pumps in the future, after dismantling one last year...the brushes mill the copper away, spreading copper dust around the motor workings, causing arcing.

I think that the many reports of "car trying to kill me", "feels dangerous", "wandering around randomly on a straight road", etc, are caused by the initial effects of this.

Not too serious a problem for the ECU to throw a light / code, but enough to make the car a little unpredicatable.....

Anyway..I digress...!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Let us know..!  s:D :D s:D
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

dcod

QuoteStrange you have no warning light..?

Is your warning light working?
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

MelBee42

Thanks both.  s:) :) s:)

Dcod - it comes on at start up, (the P/S light, that is) then goes off. So I am presuming it's working?

Dyn-Evo - By 'failed' I just mean it is extremely hard to steer. Not sure how else to describe it!

Where is the pump? I don't really know what I'm listening for but I haven't noticed any different sounds since it happened.

I don't have a code reader - although I have had a few problems recently with losing power at 4000+ RPM (seems to be OK now though...?!) and that didn't throw up a light either - would any codes still be logged even if warning lights didn't come up for whatever reason?

dcod

QuoteWhere is the pump? I don't really know what I'm listening for but I haven't noticed any different sounds since it happened.

Turn the ignition on and listen by the front drivers side wheel, you should hear a faint whining noise.

As for it's location, open the bonnet, push all the poppers in and remove with finger nail, lift up plastic cover and you should see the pump and reservoir.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

K T M Rider

You can have pending codes that do not throw a warning lamp but a code reader will find. A U380 code reader for 20 quid on ebay or amazon is easy to use.

Toplesscouple had some p/s pump issues, may be worth a PM. A popular trick is to hit the pump casing with a hammer - I know TPLC had some success with this method.
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

markiii

is there any fluid in it?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

MelBee42

Thanks all. I'll shelve looking for a code reader to another day as I just need to get this fixed quickly, but maybe for next time!

I will have a look/listen at the pump as soon as I can (tied up in work and meetings at the mo) and I'll see if Topless have any advice.  s:) :) s:)

markiii - the fluid level is between the min/max, if that's what you mean?

MelBee42

One more question - if it is the pump am I likely to be doing further damage by driving it?
Obviously I will be trying to get it fixed ASAP but the sheer logistics of it/work etc mean I will have to do at least some driving.  s:( :( s:(

dcod

Quote from: "MelBee42"markiii - the fluid level is between the min/max, if that's what you mean?

Are you talking about the power steering fluid level? (The reservoir is where the pump is, under the bonnet, under the plastic covering).

Don't know about doing damage to the car but you may do damage to yourself if the steering suddenly goes at an inappropriate time!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

MelBee42

Quote from: "dcod"
Quote from: "MelBee42"markiii - the fluid level is between the min/max, if that's what you mean?

Are you talking about the power steering fluid level? (The reservoir is where the pump is, under the bonnet, under the plastic covering).

Yes, I checked it last night as I managed to prise the plastic up just enough to see it (it was dark and I couldn't figure out how to get it off properly) - hence not seeing the pump or anything else. But the fluid level is definitely OK.

When you say the steering might 'go' do you mean freeze up entirely? As it's already pretty much like driving a tank the majority of the time!

dcod

Quote from: "MelBee42"When you say the steering might 'go' do you mean freeze up entirely? As it's already pretty much like driving a tank the majority of the time!

If it's working intermitently then it could jump between very stiff and not stiff at a dangerous time. That was my concern.

dcod

Just as a side note, if a second-hand pump is required from a breakers, is the pump the same as the Celica? Anyone know? (May increase the ability to get one)

Anonymous

Before you spend hundreds Mel check this CLICKY

Mike_V

Quote from: "Les"Before you spend hundreds Mel check this CLICKY

+1
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

Anonymous

If this turns out to be the power steering pump rather than the steering joint then you have 5 options that I can think of and unfortunately they will all cost you a chunk of money,it will really depend on what your plans are with your car.

1. Go to Toyota and buy a new power steering pump for around £1400 then go straight to a therapist to have you head examined immediately!

2.Buy a new power steering pump from me,£350 would secure this.   l viewtopic.php?f=37&t=36082 l

3.Buy a used pump for around £150,D!ck2ski would probably be best as I'm sure he would give you some kind of short term warranty.

4.Have your pump reconditioned if it isnt damaged beyond repair and it will probably be 3-4 weeks before you get it back.
 l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=34536&p=415239&hilit=power+steering+pump#p415239 l

5.Do nothing,sell car as "spares or repair".

K T M Rider

Quote from: "life of bryan"If this turns out to be the power steering pump rather than the steering joint then you have 5 options that I can think of and unfortunately they will all cost you a chunk of money,it will really depend on what your plans are with your car.

I can think of another option that I would personally try first:

Quote from: "Toplesscouple"
Quote from: "Stewarty".
I took a small hammer, and while the pump was "spooling up" (I had a friend turn on the ignition for me) I gave it a couple of sharp taps with the hammer ON THE ALUMINIUM PUMP CASTING (not the soft steel can which surrounds the armature). This re-seats the motor shaft in the end bushings - a simple trick learned after years of rebuilding pumps and alternators.

It has worked flawlessly ever since. .
S.

Our P/S light came on today on the way home from a local jaunt. After checking the electrical side (well, pulled a fuse and it seemed ok   s:) :) s:)   ) I used the hammer trick. Appears to have worked. I guess we'll find out next weekend on Stephs run   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:

Total cost circa £3 for a cheap hammer
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

mrzwei

Quote from: "KTM_RIDER"I used the hammer trick

s:D :D s:D   I love posts like that. One of my favourite quotes: 'If your only tool is a hammer, then every problem starts to look like a nail'.

The basic test for power steering is to move the steering wheel from lock to lock (or try to) with the engine off. Then do the same with the engine running. The difference will be obvious.

If it isn't, then the WD40, if it still isn't, then  the hammer trick, if still not then pm D!ck.

I personally would drive the car with the power steering malfunctioning because you usually only get issues at low speeds.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

MelBee42

Thank you all. I guess knowing me I am not willing to take a hammer to any bit of the car as I know I'll make a terrible mess of things! I probably can't even do Les's recommendation by myself sadly, and although I could probably buy a second hand pump from D!ck I don't even know a garage that would fit it for me (I don't know anywhere that doesn't use parts they don't buy themselves). Thank you though - I will have take all your advice and see what logistical solution I can think of!  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Not a difficult job,is there any members near you that have experience of this that can help?

nathanMR2

*puts hand around mouth and shouts...... CUSTARD*  s;) ;) s;)
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

custardavenger

Hello All.  s:) :) s:)  

I will have a look at it for her. I had asked Mel to post here as I knew you lot would have more experience than me. Mine has been fine so far (Fingers crossed)

Unfortunately I've lost my code reader. May by another.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

Anonymous

You can check the lower steering joint visually by looking between the back of the wheel and wheel arch on the N/S/F (use a torch    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ), another method is to jack both front wheels off the ground (supported of course) then turn the steering wheel with the eingine off, you can usually tell if the joint is siezed.

nathanMR2

Quote from: "custardavenger"Hello All.  s:) :) s:)  

I will have a look at it for her. I had asked Mel to post here as I knew you lot would have more experience than me. Mine has been fine so far (Fingers crossed)

Unfortunately I've lost my code reader. May by another.

Ive got a spare one as i can use my Kiwi. Would you like me to post it up to you and you can use it for as long as you need?
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

MelBee42

Thanks again all. Steering on the drive home yesterday was intermittent at best but this morning it was absolutely fine. Clearly something up though so I'll talk to Rob when he's free.
Cheers!  s:) :) s:)

Tags: