Steering troubles

Started by MelBee42, January 10, 2012, 09:30

custardavenger

That would be great Nathan. Will PM you my address.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

nathanMR2

Posted lunch time today. Let me know it arrives safe
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

MelBee42

Checked the pump tonight (well OK, Rob did). Seems fine - when stationery. As soon as I drove off, the steering failed. Stopped, checked it again, pump sounds OK (also steering OK). Might there be any reason for this...?

loadswine

Could this be what les suggested? A seizing steering universal joint perhaps?
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

MelBee42

Would that cause an intermittent fault? Or if it's seized would it just be like that all the time?

mrzwei

I'm in no way an expert but as it is an electro-hydraulic pump (hydraulics usually just fail but electrics are often intermittent) then I would make sure that any plugs / wires coming out of the pump are secure. Always worth a wiggle and a push!
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

QuoteAlways worth a wiggle and a push!
Said the actress to the bishop.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Steering joint becomes very slack allowing the crusiform to catch on the carriers above and below. Feels loose and rough and a little stiff. Key at position one, Steering lock off, but engine off. Rock the top of the steering wheel from side to side while looking at the front wheel. Any slight movement before wheels turn, or delay? UJ kaput.
Power steering may have an intermittent fault. Have you given it a bop with a hammer?  On the side, directly between the mounting bolts on the ally casing. Whats the worst that can happen?

Anonymous

Sounds like it could be the ECU attached to the pump,I believe it alters how much power steering is given in relation to the speed you are traveling so it seems it could be failing to do this?

loadswine

I'm not completely sure, but I havean idea that it was kind of intermittent when Les had it happen. You'll need to confirm with him though. It is possible for the UJ to seize temporarily I would have thought. Presumably Rob has already looked at the lower steering joint?

Anonymous

QuoteIt is possible for the UJ to seize temporarily I would have thought.

Youre probably right, Ive only seen 4 or 5 that are knackered. They were all pretty loose, so at some point between good and knackered I suppose it could happen, but Toyota would be in deep sh*t if it caused a crash.

Mike_V

I had the same problem a year ago and it was the steering joint, wire brushed and coated with a copper grease and it's been fine since.
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

Tommygun1

There is a power steering pump on the for sales now mate if its that

mrzwei

Slight drift, but an interesting analytical thread.

Three types of problem:

Mechanical - a problem with the uj's

Hydraulic - problem with the pump unit, seals or something sticking

Electronic - connection or ecu issue

The uj and connection issues are fairly easy to eliminate, then the hammer therapy for the hydraulic problem. Possibly a code reader for the ecu.
If all that fails, and it hasn't really cost anything, then used pump from D!ck, ebay or whatever.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

MelBee42

Quote from: "dick2ski"
QuoteAlways worth a wiggle and a push!
Said the actress to the bishop.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Steering joint becomes very slack allowing the crusiform to catch on the carriers above and below. Feels loose and rough and a little stiff. Key at position one, Steering lock off, but engine off. Rock the top of the steering wheel from side to side while looking at the front wheel. Any slight movement before wheels turn, or delay? UJ kaput.
Power steering may have an intermittent fault. Have you given it a bop with a hammer?  On the side, directly between the mounting bolts on the ally casing. Whats the worst that can happen?

Apologies but this means nothing to me whatsoever! Mounting bolts... ally casing... crusiform... you lost me at 'steering'.  s;) ;) s;)

Tried the code reader, both O2 sensors are kaput.

Anonymous

Quote from: "loadswine"I'm not completely sure, but I havean idea that it was kind of intermittent when Les had it happen. You'll need to confirm with him though. It is possible for the UJ to seize temporarily I would have thought. Presumably Rob has already looked at the lower steering joint?

Quote from: "dick2ski"
QuoteIt is possible for the UJ to seize temporarily I would have thought.

Youre probably right, Ive only seen 4 or 5 that are knackered. They were all pretty loose, so at some point between good and knackered I suppose it could happen, but Toyota would be in deep sh*t if it caused a crash.

My problem appeared during the winter after driving on wet salted roads, I feared the worse as I  had power steering pump failure not long after I got the car (Fitted by Toyota under warranty),  the steering stiffened up similar to pump failure but wasn't constant (it got worse after being stood over night).

As shown in the "How to" I did a temporary fix with loads of WD40, this freed it enough for a while but would be a dangerous fix to rely on.

After replacing the joint I did look into stripping the old one down and replacing the U/J but to be honest the yokes are that flimsy I wouldn't even consider re-using the old shaft.

custardavenger

OK had a look at it last night.

Didn't check the joint as the feel of the steering was perfect, and the problem is intermittent. Pump made all the right sounds from lock to lock, motor speed changed in relation to steering input as I would expect.

My only conclusion is that there is a problem with the motor. Of course the only way I can think of to prove that is to listen for the pump noise when the steering goes stiff. Not so easy apparently as it doesn't seem to happen while parked.

Only thing I didn't do was test with other electrics running. I'm guessing it's only happened when she has the lights on. Would be surprised if it's that though.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

Anonymous

Could it be a battery/voltage issue as I'm sure I've read a post where someones battery was on its way out not giving enough power to the steering pump which give similar issues.

MelBee42

Rob - it happens with lights on or off. Also the pump sounds OK with the lights on too (checked just now). I just can't get it to replicate the problem when parked - have tried a couple more times. Yet when I'm driving it happens very frequently.
Oh well. Pump bought. We'll see if that fix it.
Does anyone know how easy they are to fit? And how much power steering fluid do I need?

loadswine

Quote from: "life of bryan"Could it be a battery/voltage issue as I'm sure I've read a post where someones battery was on its way out not giving enough power to the steering pump which give similar issues.

I think it may have been Roger who experienced that. Didn't he get a warning light as well?

MelBee42

Quick update on this.
When I got the garage to fix my blown head gasket I also asked them to look at the steering.
They say it is definitely the UJ that is seizing up. They've oiled it up and everything but having picked it up and driven it today, it's still very bad. Will definitely need something replacing. Back to the garage I go.  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

As it is an exterior U/J it will have rubber seals on supposedly to keep water out and grease in, although they do work for quite some time the weather can still cause them to fail, this seal can still prevent oil getting in if just squirted on that's why I used loads WD40 while working the steering at  the same time as it is thin enough to penetrate.

This is a  very temporary fix and should not be relied on

Rinzleristron

I posted last week with the same issue. My steering was intermittent so got some good advice on here, my problem was slightly different in that my engine management light came on (its still on) around the same time. I haven't had time to take it to the garage so drove it for a few days it got worse and was like driving a tank, the PAS woulld drop in and out randomly. So I thought, following some advice it may be a battery problem not having enough power to efectively power the pump. I change the battery and it was back to normal.... for a few days!

At that point I decided that having fitted a new stereo the week before that I would put the stereo in standby before turning the ignition off. Strangely this seems to have worked, I haven't had an issue for over a week but then I have rarely used the stereo. Might be an alternator problem? or too much drain on the battery affecting the power to the steering pump.

MelBee42

Well, this is finally fixed! Thanks everyone for all your advice and thank you markiii for getting the UJ to me so quickly. Found a garage to fit it, and got new spark plugs while I was at it (hopefully this will fix some odd powerloss troubles I've occasionally had at high speeds... not that I ever drive at high speeds, of course!). £92. Much better than last week's heart-attack inducing bill!

Mike_V

Good news at last Mel, good stuff.
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

MelBee42

Thanks! Also, I now have a pump I don't need...!

Tags: