Radiator

Started by nathanMR2, January 18, 2012, 19:06

Capvermell

You have an absolute right under the distance selling recommendations to reject goods within 7 days sent by mail order under the distance selling regulations.  On top of that in this case the goods are faulty so you would be entitled to reject and return them for a refund (if that is your choice) rather than a replacement even if you had bought them from a high street radiator.

The only grey area is the cost of return carriage, which they may attempt to pass on to you although they might well give way on this if you suggest you believe that their inadequate protective packageing was responsible for the goods becoming defective and unfit for the purpose in this case.

I'm very sorry to hear you had this problem as the radiator I was sent seemed fine and has not given any trouble on the car.  As radiators are so relatively fragile they clearly can get damaged very easily in transit it placed undeneath a lot of other heavy goods.

nathanMR2

They have suggested i can return it.

Just makes me wonder if i send it back are they going to just bend them back into place and return it to me.

Postage wasnt mentioned yet.

Im not happy with it. Im replacing something that isnt actually broken so i am reluctant to fit something that isnt 100% but i dont know if im being petty
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

JiMR2

Quote from: "nathanMR2"I'm not happy with it. I'm replacing something that isnt actually broken so i am reluctant to fit something that isnt 100% but i dont know if I'm being petty

Not at all in my eyes Nath... especially if they're happy to have it returned.
AKA Cinnamon Jim

Capvermell

Quote from: "nathanMR2"Just makes me wonder if i send it back are they going to just bend them back into place and return it to me.

You can't bend back that kind of damage.  All they can do is sell it off cheaply as know Grade B stock or whatever.

The packaging my radiator was sent in has now come to mind since making my last post and even though I didn't actually fit it I did check it before I took it to the place that was fitting it and there was no damage at all.

If it was the place with the 100% or very close to Feedback I don't suppose they are going to make you pay the carriage when it was clearly damaged on arrival and radiators are items known to be items that can get damaged in transit. An item as large and heavy as a radiator is going to cost you £15 or something to send back with a courier but it will only cost them about £5 if they are a volume seller.

MattPerformance

Nathan, if it were mine I'd be happy to fit it as that fin damage is of no real consequence.  I assure you that the fins can be bent back straight without any consequence either (care is obviously needed) although they'll never be as cosmetically perfect as they were before the damage.  Is it on a part of the rad that will be visible once it's in the car?
That said, it's not perfect and you paid for a perfect item.  You could try to come to an arrangement with them to give you a discount, but you might risk them thinking that you're trying it on.

Capvermell

Quote from: "MattPerformance"You could try to come to an arrangement with them to give you a discount, but you might risk them thinking that you're trying it on.

If Matt is right that the radiator is still ok it clearly has to be worth around £15 to the supplier not to have to courier this one back and courier another new one out to him.

On the other hand unless they suggest this as a solution and he accepts it if he simply demands money back instead of returning it then he might be seen as "trying it on" as Matt suggests.

As it so happens the new rad I has was subject to a front end thump at about 10mph or so when it was 6 months old that split and pushed in the front spoiler and its supports when I hit the spoiler on a hidden kerb whilst pulling up in the Shetland Islands at about 10mph or so.  As the car already had two other damaged panels elsewhere that would be two more claims and there was a £350 excess on each I had all the damaged reapaired at a very economical repairer out in the sticks not from Luton Airport who only charged £1650 for the whole lot (three insurance claims at once would have made me almost uninsurable for three to five years and cost me a lot extra in premiums and I would still have paid £1050 in excesses anyway).  They concluded that although slightly bent as it was not yet corroded the rad was still sound for cooling and pulled it out.  It all happened rather quickly in terms of a decision and if I had my time again I would really have replaced the rad for the sake of another £60 but 18,000 miles and three years on its still cooling the car perfectly ok.

nathanMR2

Sent the photos and he's just called me.

He recons that the damage was most likely there before they sent it   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  Given that comment I said I want it replaced which he was more than happy to do.

He will send another one out for me tomorrow which will be checked before its sent and they will collect the old one.

Nice guy to speak to and was more than happy to make sure im happy. Just not sure if he's openness has done his company any favours. These things happen but ill be happier with a straight one... that's until I bend it myself when trying to fit but at least that will be own doing!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

uktotty

Quote from: "Lippy"i sware my posts keep deleting themselves and I'm writing things twice lol

I want to be running 240bhp+ eventually, there is loads of stuff to do first and finish off paying the rest of the car yet but hopefully not too long away...

Maybe il just get an OEM rad until such times as I'm closer to raising the boost and fitting other performance parts.

Cheers for the input all  s:) :) s:)

Just buy the KOYO, its the best Ally, high temp rad you can get, you want decent quality, pay a decent price.

m http://www.ebay.com/itm/KOYO-ALUMINUM-R ... 2a14a562a4 m

kentsmudger

Quote from: "nathanMR2"He recons that the damage was most likely there before they sent it   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  Given that comment I said I want it replaced which he was more than happy to do.

Quote from: "nathanMR2"

In this pic, are the nuts on the left taped to the inside of the box? Looks like they would line up with the damage if the card folds round like I think it does?

In any case - Get them to send a new, undamaged one and get them to pack it more carefully. (They pay for return postage on the bent one too!)

Quote from: "nathanMR2"They havent seen these photos yet but they suggest that bent fins are not a problem as you are likely to bend fins with fitting.

This is just BS - I fitted my new rad myself, it arrived in perfect shape and I took care not to do any damage, so there are no bent fins on mine. I wonder if they are hinting that you may have damaged the fins while fitting it?
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Tags: