4th gear wont go in

Started by Anonymous, January 21, 2012, 12:58

Anonymous

looking at buyin a mr2 from a friend of my partners family. little info about the car. the problem is that it doesnt go into 4th gear. 5th is ok. think this could be the gear linkage. did search the net to see if its a common problem. any advise regarding this?

mrzwei

Hi
This is not a common problem; this is the first post I can remember.
Others may be able to give some more positive advice.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

uktotty

My advice, dont buy it, buy one of the othher 500 cars currently for sale in the UK with working gearboxes

Anonymous

Hi Danny, and welcome to our humble forum!
Russ has a point. The other option is to assume the worst, you need a box. £250 plus £40 pnp, plus, say £100 to fit at your local clutch centre, and while youve got it off, might as well pop a clutch in.
If you can negotiate a good price it could be a winner, but needs to be cheap.
Still useable while you sort the box, plus sell off the old LSD once you get the box changed, should bring in £150-£200.

If you dont buy it, give him my number!

Anonymous

tbh its cheapp! do they need to take the cluch off when fitting a gearbox? all in all it would set me back 2000 all in with the work. i think thats resonable. iv looked and looked. it means i can have the car next month for summer and look into the work. worse case senario would be new gear box ect. fingures crossed and hope its a linkage. got a few friends who are mechanics. so hopefully that pays off aswell!

Anonymous

I guess you could test if its the linkage by manually moving the lever on the gear box? We are talking about a manual here right and not an SMT?

Anonymous

Quotedo they need to take the cluch off when fitting a gearbox?

No, but its an ideal time to pop a clutch in.

mrzwei

Just to be sure of this, it won't go into 4th at all? You can't even force it in and get a seriously loud crunching sound? Or, not even if you 'double de-clutch, (dip the clutch, into neutral, lift the clutch, give it some revs, dip the clutch, shift into 4th   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  )?
I guess, even if that works, you still have the same problem because it will almost certainly be more expensive for a professional rebuild than a S/H replacement.

I don't know how the 'outside the box' linkage works on the roadster but it would, as you suggest', be wise to eliminate that first before you replace the box. It's probably just one rod from the bottom of the gearstick to a ball joint into the selector mechanism in the box or it may be cable operated.
All of the other selectors will be 'inside the box'.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

i think its a 5speed gearbox. the car is cheap though. i will test drive tomorrow. gonna phone the mechanic and see what we can do. question.. where am i best getting the gearbox from.

Anonymous

I dont have any in at the mo, but got a car coming in Wednesday to break for parts. Its a front end shunt so box should be fine. Under 70k miles.
You could also try ebay, partfinder or a local breaker.
Or put an ad in the "wanted" section on here.

Anonymous

the lady im buying the mr2 from also mensioned that the someone can get her a gearbox for 100 quid... dont know wether to jump on that or not.

SteveJ

I've had problems selecting fourth in the past (rather worryingly it was on a track day) and it turned out to be one of the water hoses had come out of its clip and dropped in-between the selector shafts. Worth checking  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Anonymous

Quotecan get her a gearbox for 100 quid

Try SeveJs tip first.

Gearbox sounds good. As long as its for the correct car, Print pics of a couple of boxes advertised on ebay for comparison.
Helpful if it has a guarantee of some sort.
Note that MRS boxes are identical externally, but dont have an LSD or limited slip diff. Search on here to find pics showing the difference. They are interchangable, but you will lose the benefit of the "two wheel drive" rather than "one wheel drive" of normal cars.

Anonymous

spoke to my local mechanic .... think hes going to fit the gearbox for cheap. the way hes speaking he can get a gearbox for the car for cheaper than 250. the only problem is i would rather spend a bit more on a decent gearbox thats the right one.

question, could i put a 6 speed gearbox in the car? its a 5 speed just now

the mechanic also said its bizzar because usual if 1st gear goes so does 3rd gear, and if 2nd gear goes so does 4th so he thinks it could mabe be just a bush!

uktotty

I think Rob (Custardavenger) has a gearbox if yours is a duffer

Tags: