Lost in the Fog

Started by Anonymous, April 22, 2004, 09:44

Anonymous

When I bought my MR-S last year it had a great big ugly fog light strapped to the back (the thing is so big it's like towing a caravan  s:) :) s:)  ). I removed it the same day of purchase and I cruised arround happily all year without a rear fog light and had completely forgot about the ugly thing until I had my MOT yesterday. I remembered as soon as the guy started to check the lights that I hadn't put it back on Doh!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Anyway to get to the point have any of you guys with imports altered your rear lights to act as a fog light. Someone said to me you can swap one of the side light bulbs for a two way bulb(ie like a brake light) which will shine brighter once the fog light switch is on  s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

Hmmmm. The diffence is only as much as there is no bulb in the place where the fog light should be. The light cluster is exactly the same as UK spec. Take a look back there and you'll see. Needs a wire running to a switch on the dash, and that's it.

Anonymous

Oh, right!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Can't see why the garage that imported it stuck on the separate fog lamp then, obvious a few spanners short of a tool box.

At the moment I have a wire from the dash switch going to the bolt on fog lamp, it connects to the fog lamp via some simple spade connectors. Will I need a special connector/bulb holder or is everything already there appart from the bulb and the wire?

Anonymous

It won't work, I tried this a couple of months back, Although the Jspec has the same amount of holes in the cluster, they are different sizes!  A fog lamp bulb is to big and won't fit!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Viggs"It won't work, I tried this a couple of months back, Although the Jspec has the same amount of holes in the cluster, they are different sizes!  A fog lamp bulb is to big and won't fit!

Did you come up with a solution or is it just easyer to put the fog lamp back on once a year? Would be nice to do a proper job though!

markiii

not going to help in te shed if we get fog though is it?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Well mine has a bulb and holder in there. So something IS possible. I didn't do this, it was done at import. I'd talk to Adam (japgt300) he should know.

Anonymous

I put new grilles on and have the fog light sat behind it.  I did think about putting it into the bumper (like the celica) but wasn't sure how much work would be required.  The cheapest and easiest solution is to set yourself a reminder to put it back on before the mot!

markiii

or wait until when being unable to see you in fog, you get rear ended and then you'll have a nice big hole to put it in.

it's not just for decoration guys.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Well i've just gone to look at mine. The bulb is a strange one, it's a push in type, like a side repeater bulb but alot bigger. Maybe it's the same on UK spec. But before you go strapping on another light, i'd look into it a bit further.

Anonymous

Does anyone think that the "changing the side light bulb to a brake light bulb idea" would work? I.e. the side light would be on when the lights are on and the brake light part would shine brighter once the fog switch is on like er a brake light?

Anonymous

No chance i think. Think you need to ask a MOT station there thoughts.

Anonymous

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"No chance i think. Think you need to ask a MOT station there thoughts.

Well as luck would have it I've got to go back today because it failed yesterday for having no fog light  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  So I will ask.

Anonymous

Just got back from MOT station having fitted fog light this time.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Had a chat about fog lights with him. He said that changing the side light to a break light to act as a fog light would be fine, in fact he's done it himself before! He even went as fair as explaining what I needed to do, sound guy.

Having said that this guy is a sound bloke not some arse hole trying to rip people off, I can imagine that not all MOT stations are as lenient.

Anonymous

how come they dont need fog lights over in japan? dont they ever get fog? mines an import and i have a bolt on that goes just under the rear bumper, its really thin so you dont really notice it. i think it looks quite cool!   s8) 8) s8)

Tem

Quote from: "Tomr2"how come they dont need fog lights over in japan? dont they ever get fog?

I've never driven in fog where I would've needed fog lights...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

i like to put mine on when it's raining very hard and definately in the fog

Tem

Quote from: "Tomr2"i like to put mine on when it's raining

Ever got flashed by oncoming traffic?  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

sorry im talking about the rear ones, ive never had a car that's had them on the front yet...

Tem

Quote from: "Tomr2"sorry im talking about the rear ones, ive never had a car that's had them on the front yet...

Oh I thought you meant both  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

(I've used the rear ones few times, when someone tried to sniff my butt  s8) 8) s8) )

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "Tomr2"sorry im talking about the rear ones, ive never had a car that's had them on the front yet...

(I've used the rear ones few times, when someone tried to sniff my butt  s8) 8) s8) )

yep always handy for that!

Anonymous

Don't think the idea of using a brake lights as a fog light is going to work. It doesn't look like the bulb holder from a side light/brake light will fit.

Might just have to do without one, can't remember the last time I drove in fog anyway.

Tags: