Sticky brake and handbrake problem

Started by Stephster, February 6, 2012, 17:40

Anonymous

Max 1 hour for the cable. Dont let em scam you, Steph. They will give you guff about dropping the tank, but it takes an extra 5 mins.

Steve Green

Prompty put in place. Thanls D!ck.
No offence taken
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

Anonymous

Sorry Steve, I was typing while you were posting!
No need to remove the tank, Just support it with a few bricks or spare trolly jack, then loosen opposite side tank retaining bolts (2), then remove relevant side bolts. The tank drops enough to get in to the cable clip bolts. Easier if the tank isnt full.

redarrow

Dad done me a new handbrake cable for both sides encase they seize 40 minutes, no lie on his drive way.
i had to put most bit back on the car, and trust me took me ages lol, dont lath.(was fun thu.)
each cable left and right was £35 each , total = £70 so £100 for the cables about right, maybe there a different spec to the originals.
to be honest all the post i have read on handbrake cable, have gone towards the back calliper was seized and the handbrake cable didn't need replacing. I replaced mine for piece of mind, The way you cheek the cable was disconnect the brake handbrake wires from left and right calliper, then moved the handbrake up and down to check the handbrake cable's move freely, if not there seized.

Here a good image and a idea what to do.

This is disk and calliper replacement might also help.
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=17198&p=211691&hilit=rear+disc+replacement#p211691

There no written guide to change the handbrake cable????
If anybody finds a mr2 mk3 handbrake replacement textural please post.
[size=85]These are the dreaded code your get with cheap 02 sensors.
P0135 drivers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 1)
P0155 passengers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 2 sensor 1)
P0141 passengers side down below exhaust position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2[/size]

Steve Green

Quote from: "redarrow"There no written guide to change the handbrake cable????

If anybody finds a mr2 mk3 handbrake replacement textural please post.

regrds redarrow.

I did the rear caliper rebuild 'How To'. Would you like to do the replacement handbrake cable 'How To'
2003 Facelift SMT

redarrow

No one will understand me mate wish i could.

and be honest ill muck it up lol.

me and dad went thu your calliper rebuild, and doing them tomorrow and we think it perfectly written.

and thank you.

regards redarrow.
[size=85]These are the dreaded code your get with cheap 02 sensors.
P0135 drivers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 1)
P0155 passengers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 2 sensor 1)
P0141 passengers side down below exhaust position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2[/size]

Stephster

In the past two weeks or so, the handbrake has gone back to about a 60/70 degree angle as it was before one of the cables got replaced. There is also an ominous groan when I deploy the handbrake once I am on the drive, which is on a slope. Today, I took the car out of gear, which I always leave it in on the drive, and it started to roll backwards. I quickly pulled the handbrake on even further, which seemed to work, but made it stand up even more.
Is this normal ????
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !
Gone over to the dark side - 05 Black Z4 2.0i se with red leather.

Steve Green

Sounds like a classic.
I guess you changed the handbrake cables without checking that the autoadjusters on both rear calipers were working properly first?

The only way is to follow my How To, or get a pair of new or refurbished rear calipers fitted.
Will certainly be an MOT fail.
2003 Facelift SMT

Stephster

I didn't change it myself. I asked mechanic to take a look as I thought it was a caliper problem, and also  gave him a link to your How to. He reckoned it wasn't a caliper problem but the handbrake cable had gone. I have no idea - which is why I employed mechanic in the first place.
Grrrrr............ what to do next ?
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !

Steve Green

Oh dear, sorry to hear that.
Take it back to him, ask him to diagnose it again, and watch him fluster that it wasnt like that when he did the work.

It reinforces my argument that we, on this forum, are the 'experts' in all things MK3 MR2, and that most garage mechanics have no real idea how the complete handbrake system works.

Good luck, but it's a lesson to others.
2003 Facelift SMT

Stephster

He says he will get onto it in next couple of weeks, as he is chocker at minute (mobile mechanic), which is ok, as I am away in Germany for a week anyway.
So basically, I am looking at caliper rebuild or buying new ones and having them fitted ? How much for that do you reckon ?

Stephster

Seems it is stuck caliper - been quoted 1 1/2 hours labour (£40), and friend in trade is going to get caliper for me. Anyone know how much these are ?

loadswine

Brakeparts.co.uk charge £87 for a caliper. I bought a couple last month. There is a surcharge on each caliper that they refund when the old caliper gets sent back to them.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Steve Green

Quote from: "loadswine"Brakeparts.co.uk charge £87 for a caliper. I bought a couple last month. There is a surcharge on each caliper that they refund when the old caliper gets sent back to them.

That seems reasonable. If you can afford it, always do both sides.
Worth bearing in mind the postage cost for a single caliper that weighs nearly 3Kg.
2003 Facelift SMT

loadswine

Carriage on my pair of calipers was £6.75, plus I think a little bit more to courier the old ones back to them. Unit surcharge was 60 quid.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Stephster

Can't afford both at the minute  s:( :( s:( . Have £900 of insurance on two cars to pay, been robbed of £550 by dentist, tax due on Pug and service on the 2. I am somewhat brassic....

Not worried about postage, as friend works for car parts company so can get the caliper trade. Just wondered what ball park figure was, so thanks everyone  s:) :) s:) .

Tags: