Loosing Oil

Started by scottee, April 22, 2004, 13:47

scottee

My oil light flashed on quickly today while I was under some heavy braking. I checked the oil after leaving the car standing for a few hours, and the level seems to be very low. It had an oil change about 3000-4000 miles ago (when the bottom end was replaced), the car shouldnt be going through this much oil should it? Its not leaking anywhere, and I cant smell it burning anywhere.

Im a little worried due to the problems with the bottom end before. Once again, any advice would be appricated

Sam

I had a similar start to recent problems. I had done about 3000 miles after a full oil change at service and noticed the oil light coming on. I had already been aware of how sooty the exhaust pipes were and also was due to get a noise checked out at the dealer that I at the time thought was the clutch. Anyway it is in with the dealer at the moment and the initial diagnosis was that the piston was rattling about in the first cylinder indicating excessive engine wear. I should learn more tomorrow as they were due to strip it down today.

Anyway....back on track...

If you have had the bottom end changed before I would get it straight back into the dealer for a check over - what went wrong before?
Sam

[size=75]\'01 Black Roadster
Leda Adjustable Struts/Eibach Springs/TTE Stabilizer Bars/TRD Bracing/TTE 17" 9-Spokes/Toda Flywheel/Unichip/TTE Exhaust/TTE Front Bumper/TRD Quickshift[/size]

scottee

Quote from: "Sam"If you have had the bottom end changed before I would get it straight back into the dealer for a check over - what went wrong before?

Because the dealer is in London, and im now in Swansea  s:( :( s:(

Sam

Still I guess you must have some paperwork, or at least they might have it on their database.
I just changed dealer - and it has so far been a breath of fresh air - don't know why I spent so much trouble at the previous one.

Other than that I take it engine sounds normal - no other symptoms?
Sam

[size=75]\'01 Black Roadster
Leda Adjustable Struts/Eibach Springs/TTE Stabilizer Bars/TRD Bracing/TTE 17" 9-Spokes/Toda Flywheel/Unichip/TTE Exhaust/TTE Front Bumper/TRD Quickshift[/size]

markiii

check your pre-cats
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"check your pre-cats

Really!!! Why ??? Has this been documented somewhere before?. I've searched but the million threads that i read from the replies made me think that i'm unique with this problem.   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Seriously, this engine is not the best. Many now have no oil by the end of the week. Keep vigilant and you'll save alot of money. If you've no warranty left now then join the pre-cat destruction team.

markiii

historically on SC major oil loss has been a sudden symptom of engine failure. Though I don't know anyone in teh Uk who's had teh problem appear quite that way. yet.

nothing definate but worth a check.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SteveJ

Quote from: "markiii"historically on SC major oil loss has been a sudden symptom of engine failure. Though I don't know anyone in the Uk who's had the problem appear quite that way. yet.

nothing definate but worth a check.

jonboy?
ben?
Tem?

The list goes on.....

All have suffered sudden major drops in oil level, followed by engine replacement (well most of them except jonboy who is missing the engine replacement bit  s;) ;) s;)  )

Tem

Quote from: "SteveJ"Tem?

Yeah, sure sounds like it...  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

scottee

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

hmmm this aint good

Someone recommended to put in some Slick50 just to see if it slows down the oil loss, but i dont know if its worth it.

MRMike

Quote from: "markiii"check your pre-cats

Yep i echo that statement.  Good luck mate, hope its nothing to serious
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

markiii

slick 50 is a bad idea.

I meant no -one in the UK had had major oil loss as the primary symptom.

however I had forgotten the rather obviosu Jonboy situation.

noteto brain, plase co-operate when typinng   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Tem

My first "real" symptom was a major loss of oil:
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1250 m

The sound I got was barely hearable with everything off. Even the "noise" from the heater/blower was enough to cover it.

scottee

When the car goes back to toyota to get the TTE dual sorted, i'll have them looked at, why should I be checking the pre-cats (just want to know what to tell mrt) should I gut them?

markiii

not wishing to start a re-run of previous threads but in short.

high oil consumption can be attributed (not always) to oil getting past the rings. Short of a ring failure one cause is material from breaking up cats being sucked back into teh cylinders and scoring teh bores.

if your out of warranty gut them

if not get Mr T to check them regulalry and doscument what they find on your service record.

scottee

I know we dont want this pre-cat thread to grow, but can I ask jsut 1 more question, if the bores are alrady scored, then there is nothingI can do to fix that?

markiii

in short correct. under warranty they would replace the short block.

first need to identify if the cats are at fault, and take action to prevent them getting worse, then see if you continue to loose oil.

Tem

Quote from: "scottee"I know we dont want this pre-cat threat to grow, but can I ask jsut 1 more question, if the bores are alrady scored, then there is nothingI can do to fix that?

There's no easy cure...but I've been thinking about this, if I ever run into this problem again:
 m http://monkeywrenchracing.com/mwr_toyot ... e_kit.html m

scottee

My plan is to get a full tank in and see how quick is disappers, tem, how long did it take for you to clear a full tank?

Tem

Quote from: "scottee"tem, how long did it take for you to clear a full tank?

Full tank...you mean the oil level..?

Quoting myself from another thread:
Quote from: "Tem"The next thing I notice is loss of oil, which also very suddenly turned black. Lost about 0.5l within 50km and it turned from "newlooking" to black. And got a definite loss of power as well. No signs of white cat particles on exhaust, or big white smoke, but everything else matches...  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

scottee

Sorry yea, a full oil level. I dont think mine is loosing it anywhere as quick as that, like I said in anotherpost the level dropped over about 4000miles, im praying its not the bores now. I'm hoping its the rings, atleast my dads mate can sort that for me. God I love this car but its a PITA.

My pre-cats are comming off this weekend!

markiii

don't panic, if the cats are ok, your probabkly alright.

what oil are you using?

Tem

IIRC, the manual says that it's ok to lose up to 1l/1000km of oil...

scottee

right now i've filled it with about 1ltr of Halford 5/40w fully synthetic oil, because its what I had in the garage for my 306, I thought Halfords oil is better than no oil at all, until I coudl go get some today. Im open to suggestions to what oil to get, because im getting it right after work

markiii

I have nothing against halfords.

the biggest piece of advice would be avoid Magnatec like the plague.

I'd also probably got for a higher weight oil. Probably a 15 W but certainly a 10 at the least. I'm runing 15W50 Mobil 1 at the moment.

theres a whopping great thread in maintenanice on oil, worth a read.

Tags: