remapping in the north east

Started by Zonda_, February 10, 2012, 21:43

Zonda_

Can anyone recommend somewhere up here that's good for remaps?
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

AmeR

On a turbo or an NA with mods & piggyback?

Zonda_

Na with che manifold.
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

FGrob

Quote from: "Zonda_"Na with che manifold.
Have you a piggy back fitted or an up graded ECU????
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Zonda_

Not yet, looking for somewhere that
 can do this work for me.

AmeR

You'll need a piggyback or stand alone upgraded ECU, and with only a Che manifold on you may as well burn your money for the gains you will see. A few more mods and it may see a little more torque and ponies released!

dj2k21

Quote from: "Zonda_"Na with che manifold.

Pretty much pointless On an NA IMHO, my tuner is based in middlesbrough and is great, but he mainly does modified cars with aftermarket ecus, for standard may e ask John at big fish tuning in stokesly. He took my 307 diesel from 110 bhp to 165 which is a great gain with only adding a decat pipe to it.
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Zonda_

OK so what mods would people recommend next?

dj2k21

A turbo conversion Lol it's the only way to get good gains, you can add full custom exhausts, cams, piggy backs, air intakes, etc etc but the money it will cost far outweighs the gains, some members have stuck with NA and done just that but don't think I've seen any over about 175 bhp, with alot of cash to get it here. Saving weight on the car and improving the handling and brakes is where I would start, lose weight and your power to weight ratio increases with every gram you save  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

FGrob

Quote from: "Zonda_"OK so what mods would people recommend next?
I think it depends on what you want out of the car, I've kept with NA as a prefer the power delivery but have spent more on the suspension / bracing as that will make the car go a lot better, even with a lower BHP.

You don't need big BHP to make these cars better.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Anonymous

Quote from: "dj2k21"A turbo conversion Lol it's the only way to get good gains, you can add full custom exhausts, cams, piggy backs, air intakes, etc etc but the money it will cost far outweighs the gains, some members have stuck with NA and done just that but don't think I've seen any over about 175 bhp, with alot of cash to get it here. Saving weight on the car and improving the handling and brakes is where I would start, lose weight and your power to weight ratio increases with every gram you save  s:) :) s:)

My 1zz na made 187bhp, was room to make closer to 200 but as you say its costly.

stargazer30

Op,

Best bang for buck mods you can do..

Mkiii pipe and K&N or similar panel filter.
Then sort out the exhaust, Che manifold and cat back is the cheapest but least gain.  Or you could go with a equal length manifold like top secret or PPE with a sports cat.
Your unichip should be last and is needed more to keep the mid range torque good once the free flowing exhaust mods are done.

That lot will get you around15bhp maybe more

Theres a place near boldon Asda that does unichips and mapping.  I've had power runs there before but not used them as tuners.

Or alternative to stage 1 power upgrades you can get rid of weight, this will probably give a bigger performance gain for the money spent.  The best bang for buck here is a light weight battery.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

Zonda_

Ah well I'm on the way then, I have the markiii pipe and che manifold, will look at panel filters now. Where would I get a lightweight battery from?

AmeR

E has a tiny one  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Could be worth PM'ing him to find out where he got it from. Miles lighter than the old one and he seemed really pleased with it!

PeteT

Quote from: "Zonda_"Ah well I'm on the way then, I have the markiii pipe and che manifold, will look at panel filters now. Where would I get a lightweight battery from?
I have a used (its done about 1000 miles) k+n panel filter and cleaning kit you can have for £25 inc delivery
Pete

Zonda_

Who is E?

Pete, I'll have that, send me a pm of how to pay you.

dj2k21

You still going down the NA route then mate? Any plans for handling mods? I have some barely used EBC front discs, red painted front calipers with EBC green stuff pads fitted to them here if you want to improve braking a little?

Zonda_

I don't think I can stretch to the cost of turbo conversion. How much do you want for the brakes? I will certainly look into handling mods as I enjoy my trackdays, need to look into what's available. Open to any advice!

dj2k21

Well from personal experience I would say suspension, either BC coilovers or uprated shocks and springs. Front and rear strut braces, underbody brace if you can get one still, decent tyres, and a good 4 wheel laser alignment and camber set up will make a huge difference, I would use town and country near Asda in south bank for the alignment, they are brilliant, I will PM you about the brakes now.

Zonda_

Cool, I put Toyo T1-Rs on when I got it.

dj2k21

Good choice of tyre, as I say, if you decide you want my brakes that I have messages you about, you can have a look round mine and get some ideas maybe?

Tags: