2005yr Roadster, which braces can i fit

Started by Sonner, February 14, 2012, 20:00

Sonner

So the Breastplate is going to be ordered the moment I get the car.

However having checked the revision made to the MR2 over the years, will my 2005yr MR2 benefit from these aftermarket pieces in any way or not

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370530787713? ... 97.c0.m619 m

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR-S-M ... 5ae46433e8 m

so does the car have these fitted already but in steel form.... if so would these alloy items save weight, or are the more extensive than whats on the car and provide extra rigidity???

FGrob

Quote from: "Sonner"So the Breastplate is going to be ordered the moment I get the car.

However having checked the revision made to the MR2 over the years, will my 2005yr MR2 benefit from these aftermarket pieces in any way or not

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370530787713? ... 97.c0.m619 m

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR-S-M ... 5ae46433e8 m

so does the car have these fitted already but in steel form.... if so would these alloy items save weight, or are the more extensive than whats on the car and provide extra rigidity???
That front brace is no good for the later cars, plus remember you have added crash protection which if you remove could give you a problems with your insurance, you are talking of replacing this:

As for the rear, you have similar side braces fitted but not the link over, but to be honest the backend is so strong any way so I can't really see the point.

I've got the TTE centre brace plus the front and rear top strut braces which give the car a very nice feel.

I'd look elsewhere to save weight if you really thinks it's worth it.

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Wabbitkilla

The rear braces are unnecesary on the facelift car ... post 2003 saw improvements here that remove the need for this one.

It's arguable if the from brace is needed on the post 2005 car as it got a few extra bits at the front, FGrob would advise best on this one as he has made an extensive study of the front of the post 2004 car.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Sonner

Excellent guys, thanks very much for the detailed explanations and pictures.

On the basis of what you have advised, i will continue with my purchase of a corky's breastplate, and look into getting a front upper strut brace in time.

These are difficult cars to shave weight off, i'm aware of that.

The main plan is go switch to a completely custom 1-off manifold and exhaust system,with sport cat. With the intention of massively reducing the length of the system and insure thin stainless steel is used.

I'm aware ChrisGB has achieved quite a weight saving on his exhaust and the added benefit of extra performance increases the appeal further.

onion86

I'm just running with a Corky breastplate and TRD front strut brace, car feels pretty solid like that so those two things should do you fine.

The only other thing that would make more difference over the breastplate is either the TTE brace like Rob has, Matt's brace  l viewtopic.php?f=36&t=29025 l  or Paulm's brace  l viewtopic.php?f=36&t=29393 l  if you can source any of those  s:) :) s:)
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Anonymous

Quote from: "onion86"I'm just running with a Corky breastplate and TRD front strut brace, car feels pretty solid like that so those two things should do you fine.

The only other thing that would make more difference over the breastplate is either the TTE brace like Rob has, Matt's brace  l viewtopic.php?f=36&t=29025 l  or Paulm's brace  l viewtopic.php?f=36&t=29393 l  if you can source any of those  s:) :) s:)

corky did one as well as its part of the 3.0 bracing

FGrob

You might want to consider changing your wheels for some lightweights, I lost about 8 kg by changing from stock, also depending on how far your budget will stretch changing the coilover to an inverted type will take some of the unsprung weight off the wheel as well, but that's pretty hardcore and can be very expensive  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

It's just a few ideas that may help, although I'm sure some people will have different ideas to this.

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

boor

If I could steal the post  s;-) ;-) s;-)  
I'm looking for exacty same ones but for an 03 facelift. Are 03 and 05 different and is there a point fitting these?
Thanks
Daily: Fiat Tipo SW
Project: 03 Facelift Mr2 Roadster 2zz (Greddy Supercharger, meth injection, Apexi PFC, MWR pulleys, EBC brakes+braided lines, K&N+feed, custom mani+decat+dual TTE, full TTE bodykit+ARBs+interior, Enkei's and lots more...

Tags: