245/40/17 on rears possable without rubbing

Started by Lippy, February 19, 2012, 21:27

Lippy

Been doing some research and wondering if the above is possable without major issues?

My tyres now are 225/45/16 iirc on the back but id like something wider and wondered who has done this and what problems if any that they might have encountered?

I understand that I might need to fit some small spacers and possably longer studs or change the offset from the 45 it is standard

If my wheels are 7j and im managing 225's on there then does that mean that if I get 7.5j 17's then that is the perfect size for these tyres?

Im looking at Pro race 1.2's in anthrecite and they do them in these sizes

Size             Offset                                                Stud

7.5 x 17        e15 / 20 / 25 / 30                              4  
7.0 x 17        e35 / 40 / 45 / 50                              4, 5, 8 & 10    
7.5 x 17        e15 / 25 / 30 / 37 / 45 / 53               4, 5, 8 & 10    
8.0 x 17        e20 / 25 / 33 / 38 / 40 / 48 / 53        4, 5, 8 & 10    
9.0 x 17        e23 / 27 / 30 / 35 / 40 / 45               4 or 5    

Here is the rolling circumferance difference etc if this lot means anything to anyone lol

Ex SP240 Owner, looking for another boosted '2

onion86

You want to calaulate your rolling radius from the stock sizes not the ones you've got on it now... that's 215/45/16, so 245/35/17 is your best bet if you can get it. They might fit on 7.5J with the right offset but I'm not sure.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Lippy

Quote from: "onion86"You want to calaulate your rolling radius from the stock sizes not the ones you've got on it now... that's 215/45/16, so 245/35/17 is your best bet if you can get it. They might fit on 7.5J with the right offset but I'm not sure.

Cheers for that I thought the stock was 205

Here is the difference between stock and what im proposing

245/35/17 seems like the best option as its very close all round but im wondering if it will make the ride bumpy... and will the tyres and wheels be too wide and rub on the arches or the inside of the bodywork?

AmeR

You shouldn't vary the tyre size that much as it will affect your speedo quite a lot! aim for 1.5% difference maximum I would say.

However, it is completely your choice. I know there are a couple of threads about on wider tyres. Not sure how many of them have the info you'll require though....

Lippy

Quote from: "AmeR"You shouldn't vary the tyre size that much as it will affect your speedo quite a lot! aim for 1.5% difference maximum I would say.

However, it is completely your choice. I know there are a couple of threads about on wider tyres. Not sure how many of them have the info you'll require though....

I agree having recalculated it using the 35 profile above! looks perfect apart from will it be bumpy ride and will it rub on the arches or the inner parts, ive not seen any threads apart from the monocraft which is wider so doesnt help  s:( :( s:(

AmeR

There's a side on pic of my car in my garage on tein s-tech lowering spring with 17s on. 7j 205 / 215s on it.

It's quite thumpy over some bumps. I'd say if you went too wide and the wheels came out too far I'd be concerned about it hitting the arch over bumps!!

onion86

Quote from: "Lippy"Cheers for that I thought the stock was 205
Pre-facelift were 205/50/15, facelift were 215/45/16  s;) ;) s;)

From running facelift wheels with stock size rubber (RE40s) and running 17s with Toyos 205/215, the stock wheels were 'much' bumpier.

Quote from: "AmeR"There's a side on pic of my car in my garage on tein s-tech lowering spring with 17s on. 7j 205 / 215s on it.

It's quite thumpy over some bumps. I'd say if you went too wide and the wheels came out too far I'd be concerned about it hitting the arch over bumps!!
I'd agree, you'll have to be careful with offsets if you're going right up to 245s, my fronts seem to be worse at it with 17s but rears have been fine.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Goeman

Quote from: "Lippy"I'm looking at Pro race 1.2's in anthrecite...
I was thinking of getting those exact wheels. I already have a set of black 15x7" RacePro 1.2 wheels for trackdays and I like them that much I was thinking of getting them as road wheels too.

I believe MattPerformance used to run 17x8" ET+50 on the rear with 245/40/17 and had no issues with clearance. So getting the 17x8" ET+48 would be fine.
 l viewtopic.php?p=437079#p437079 l
Russell

Lippy

Onion86 just to clarify and check its not a typo but the stock facelife wheels were bumpier than your 17 inch wheels??? Would have thought it would be the other way around...

Goeman thats good to know if there was no rubbing! i will speak to matt but i believe the sp wheels were 7.5j not 8j ???

onion86

Quote from: "Lippy"Onion86 just to clarify and check its not a typo but the stock facelife wheels were bumpier than your 17 inch wheels??? Would have thought it would be the other way around...
Yup, much. Also going over speed bumps felt like I was hitting a curb with the stock wheels; Toyos are well known to be quite floppy though so it's more likely to be the tyres then anything else.

Goeman

Quote from: "Lippy"Goeman thats good to know if there was no rubbing! i will speak to matt but i believe the sp wheels were 7.5j not 8j ???
7.5" on the front and 8" on the rear.
 m http://sp-racer.com/pages/alloy_wheels_47972.cfm m
Russell

loadswine

Here is a pic of them fitted to my old car.

They were 245/35/17s on the rear and the ride wasn't too bad.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Lippy

Cheers for the link Goeman! I couldnt see all that info on my phone today for some reason :/

Loadsawine : What suspension setup did you have in that piccy? you look quite low so im guessing lowered 30mm, did you find that the aftermarket alloys were better bumpy/crashy wise than the stock ones like Onion86?

Im wondering what 15's on the front would be like with rears simular to the SP ones??? any thoughts?

loadswine

Actually its pretty much at stock ride height, because of the low front to the bodykit. That car was on Tein Super Streets with the seats wound up to raise the car to stock levels almost. I can't really say that the wheels affected the ride as having that particular suspension higher than its reference level ( ie 30mm drop) compresses the springs a little and thus increases the spring rate, which makes for a slightly harsher ride normally. Overall though, it balanced out on that car because it had a V6 in the back with the iron block, which you won't have.  s;) ;) s;)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

MattPerformance

Jason (Muffdan) runs 245/40 17 on his car with the SP wheels (8x17 et50 rear).  It also works fine although the speedo reading is now spot on, as opposed to over-reading as they normally do.  245/40 17 gives you a lot more choice on tyres compared with 245/35 17.  The extra gearing of the oversize 245/40 tyres is not an issue if you have enough grunt  s;) ;) s;)

Lippy

Quote from: "MattPerformance"Jason (Muffdan) runs 245/40 17 on his car with the SP wheels (8x17 et50 rear).  It also works fine although the speedo reading is now spot on, as opposed to over-reading as they normally do.  245/40 17 gives you a lot more choice on tyres compared with 245/35 17.  The extra gearing of the oversize 245/40 tyres is not an issue if you have enough grunt  s;) ;) s;)

I appologise Matt I didnt realise you still sold the  SP wheels and im asking questions about another brand of alloy, I appreciate the fact that you still answered my questions regardless, so the fact that 245/40/17 is 5% different in rolling radias actually makes the sspeedo read more accurate than stock, theres a turn out for the books  s:) :) s:)

Deffinately something im going to be looking into in the near future! although im still slightly concerned about running 15's on the front with 17's on the back for some reason even though its only 5% difference.

I think I have enough grunt to run 20mm wider wheels, but after winter has passed I should be able to tick that box!

MattPerformance

I don't sell the SP wheels anymore, if I did I'd probably have been less inclined to give away my trade secrets  s;) ;) s;)
15" front and 17" rear might look rather strange!!  Surely 16" front would make more sense if you want to avoid going to 17"?

Lippy

15 inch tyres are nice and cheap and theres more choice which is why i wanted smaller fronts rather than 16s... your right it might look odd but it might look good/interesting having a bigger difference in wheel sizes from front to back.
One thing i was wondering about Matt is does my turbo oil feed have a restrictor in it? Read the other day that someond didnt run one and the turbo died :-

Goeman

The problem with 15's is whilst they're are cheaper and abundant there's a distinct lack of quality tyres in the 15" range. If you get 16" wheels on the front you can at least run something like Bridgestone RE050A or ContiSportContact 3 all round. You wont find many quality tyres that are available in both 15" and 17". You'll be the king of understeer otherwise.
Russell

MattPerformance

Quote from: "Lippy"One thing i was wondering about Matt is does my turbo oil feed have a restrictor in it? Read the other day that someond didnt run one and the turbo died :-

It does have a restrictor although if it didn't it wouldn't cause the turbo to fail.  Yours is a journal bearing and so requires more oil than a roller bearing turbo so the restrictor is larger.  Roller bearing turbos can indeed fail with too much oil.

Goeman is right about the tyres.  Although you can get some decent tyres in 195 50 15 you are still limited to 195 width.

Lippy

Quote from: "MattPerformance"Jason (Muffdan) runs 245/40 17 on his car with the SP wheels (8x17 et50 rear).  It also works fine although the speedo reading is now spot on, as opposed to over-reading as they normally do.  245/40 17 gives you a lot more choice on tyres compared with 245/35 17.  The extra gearing of the oversize 245/40 tyres is not an issue if you have enough grunt  s;) ;) s;)

So the rears in 17`s are ET50 and 8J
Would the fronts need to be 7J for a 205mm width front in a 17? And would be offset be ET50 again?

I really want some rays TE37`s but they are too expensive for me... Anyone know of any other wheels that look simular in gold?

dj2k21

I run 285/35/18 on rear and 255/35/18 on fronts with no rubbing  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Lippy

Quote from: "dj2k21"I run 285/35/18 on rear and 255/35/18 on fronts with no rubbing  s:) :) s:)

any pictures? does your body kit space out the wheels allowing you to fit wheels that are so big? I bet you have loads of traction!

Tags: