Weight difference standard v decat manifold?

Started by Zonda_, February 20, 2012, 13:43

Zonda_

Does anyone know the weight difference between the two? The place that fitted my decat manifold gave me to original one back, dunno why, but I was amazed how heavy it was.
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

Wabbitkilla

Who cares ... go weigh in the catalyst material   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

stargazer30

Well cast iron vs stainless steel so yup you'll save a bit.  You want to feel the weight of the stock silencer can, thats bloody heavy too vs an aftermarket SS cat back.  If you want to do a weight reduction replace both, loose the spare wheel but relocate the battery to the front to keep the weight on the front wheels.  I recon that would save you a good amount of kg and make the car quicker.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

Zonda_

How would you go about relocating the battery?
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

mrzwei

Quote from: "Zonda_"Does anyone know the weight difference between the two? The place that fitted my decat manifold gave me to original one back, dunno why, but I was amazed how heavy it was.

Sad I know but I weighed mine when I did the swap some years ago.

Stock manifold with intact precats - 4625g
Che manifold - 3500g
Top heatshield (left off) - 1250g

Total saving - 2375g
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Zonda_

Thanks for that, now to weigh the spare wheel...

manchestermatt1986

I have removed my spare wheel, and yes it saves weight but i worry that Toyota obviously calculated the car with the spare wheel being there. Now i know we all add aftermarket parts and do this and that to the cars. But i would of thought that the front being so light already if you were to take out the front wheel it is quiet a big disturbance to the balance of the car. They don't spend millions designing the cars for nothing. As i say, i have taken it out so i sound like I'm contradicting myself   s:? :? s:?
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

Zonda_

Then you're in the perfect position to comment, did it make a difference to the handling? I can't see that it would.

ChrisGB

I replaced the stock manifold and cat with a PPE setup. I could feel that the rear end was a little lighter and settled a fraction easier, but the biggest difference came from replacing the exhaust with something really light. Noticeable when making multiple quick direction changes, not a huge difference, but all good. The exhaust is heavy and sits high up and well rearward, so reducing the weight of this makes sense,

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Tags: