*Help* (Please!)

Started by MelBee42, February 23, 2012, 16:19

MelBee42

Hi all,
I've been having problems week getting the car to start - turns over smoothly and continuously, but doesn't fire.

Had to abandon the car at work last night as it wouldn't start and I needed to get home! Today, I called the AA out to look at it (who not so helpfully arrived with nothing to tow my '2).

I have a new code, P0340+, the camshaft position sensor. After much playing with the wiring loom (which looks a bit bodged) we still couldn't get it to start and the AA chap said it seemed pretty secure so seems unlikely to be a loose connection. Tried disconnecting and reconnecting the sensor to no avail.

Prognosis - new camshaft position sensor. Of course the car is 50 miles from home. Tried the only local garage that people here know about (it has to be somewhere I can get to on public transport so I can pick the car up again!), with a view to phoning the AA *again* and getting them to tow it down the road. The garage wouldn't take it. First of all they (with scepticism dripping from every word) wondered why on earth I would think it was this sensor. When I explained, they said - 'Well, it might not be that, though. We'll have to do the diagnostics on the wiring.' I asked if they'd be able to replace the sensor, and if that didn't fix it, to then look at further diagnostic work. Response? 'We've just checked and we don't have the diagnostic tools for the Toyota MR2. So we can't help. Bye'

(Needless to say I was not very impressed)

Two questions then...
1) Will I need a brand new sensor, or are second hand replacements 'OK' - if new, any help on specifics/where I can get one from would be great (I am quite sure I would get the wrong thing)

2) This is the really cheeky one - once I've got the part is anyone located near to Solihull who might have an hour to spare to fit the part? (And the right tools... also a code reader to clear the code, but I can borrow one of these) I would be happy to pick you and bring you here. In return for beers/eternal gratitude etc? The AA chap said it was an easy job that could be done in the car park. (I hope this is true!) Or alternatively could anyone recommend a mobile mechanic in the area?

My fall-back will be to call out the AA again, take more time off work and get it towed 50 miles to my local garage. I'm pretty much at the end of my tether with garages though - apparently my local garage cross threaded one of the screws that secures the engine cover when they replaced the spark plugs - I am not best pleased with them.

Thanks all!  s:) :) s:)

Wabbitkilla

I'm pretty sure a member on here could send you a 2nd hand sensor, maybe for a fee or to just try.

As for Solihull, there must be someone around there who could give you a hand ... I just can't remember how easy it is to get to the sensor.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

I got a sensor you can have. It easy to get to. Its on the gearbox side of the head at the back. I would change it for you if only you were a bit nearer

frogger

I also would volunteer - if I was nearer!

If you know anyone with a 10mm spanner, no matter how mechanically inept (well, within reason), they should be able to change this part.
It's one 10mm bolt, that's it.  Did the AA man point you in the direction of the sensor?

You just:
Unplug the sensor
Undo that one bolt
pull the sensor out
Put new sensor in
Put bolt back in
plug sensor in

P.S.  I also know from experience that this sensor, if unplugged, produces the effect you describe, so worth a try.
Of course it could be something else, but if the diag said this sensor, give it a go.
Dick2ski will no doubt have one, I paid a tenner for one 2nd hand in the past (not from Dick though).

Anonymous

I dont keep any, and dont have a car here to strip just now. Ive got one coming in next week.

Matt is only 13 miles from Solihull and has sensors. He is busy though. If someone local could pick up a sensor from him, he could show you exactly how to swap it.

MelBee42

Thanks all. Richard, I'm sending you a PM!  s:) :) s:)

loadswine

Good luck with it mel, hopefully you'll get a result on this problem that won't cost you very much. Your luck has to improve after this.  s;) ;) s;)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

MelBee42

Quote from: "loadswine"Good luck with it mel, hopefully you'll get a result on this problem that won't cost you very much. Your luck has to improve after this.  s;) ;) s;)

Thanks... I hope so!!

K T M Rider

Hi Mel, I'm often to be found somewhere along the M42 & I have been known to wield a 10mm spanner before on occasion, I also have a code reader.

Let me know when you get the sensor and I'm sure we could meet up if that helps ( I do work variable hours though).
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

MelBee42

Update...
Got a mobile mechanic to come and look at my car this morning after nearly two weeks of it being stuck at work. I got the new camshaft position sensor fitted, but the car still won't start. No codes are now showing (I had to disconnect the battery for the last week so that it didn't run down).
Mechanic says it may be the fuel pump but he doesn't know. I'm now considering whether the best option is to get it towed to Mr T (in which case I wouldn't be able to afford a new fuel pump, I wouldn't have thought - but might be a better solution if it's electrical?) or to a local garage. Any advice/opinions welcomed.
What sort of prices do second hand fuel pumps go for?

Anonymous

it still in the tank but i got a fuel pump. but before it goes that far try turning it over for a few minutes then take a plug out and see if its wet. if wet fuel making it to the engine so you need to look at spark. as long as you got some compression, fuel and a spark it will run. also have you checked for imobiliser.

K T M Rider

Best local mechanic to look at it would almost certainly be Matt (Mattperformance on here). I think he's based near the NEC, so he can't be far away

MelBee42

Cheers. I've arranged for it to be towed to my local garage today by the AA. At least it will be near home then and they can hopefully do a proper diagnosis.
Richard - not sure how I would check re: the immobiliser as I don't have a spare key, however I don't think it's that as I did manage to get the car to start a couple of times when this all first kicked off, but it sounded like it was really struggling to start. Am presuming it would just not start if it was an immobiliser problem?

Anonymous

Quote from: "MelBee42"Cheers. I've arranged for it to be towed to my local garage today by the AA. At least it will be near home then and they can hopefully do a proper diagnosis.
Richard - not sure how I would check re: the immobiliser as I don't have a spare key, however I don't think it's that as I did manage to get the car to start a couple of times when this all first kicked off, but it sounded like it was really struggling to start. Am presuming it would just not start if it was an immobiliser problem?

nope if it trying its not the immobiliser. so next check to see if the plugs get wet and if you got a spark. get that checked and then come back and ill have a think on where to look next.

K T M Rider

I thought you didn't like your local garage. Matt is considered a foremost MR2 expert and is currently probably only about 2 miles from your car.

MelBee42

No, no problems with my local garage bar them not being able to find a leak a while back, it's walking distance from my house and they can look at it this afternoon. I've already had two qualified mechanics attempt to diagnose it in the car park without success so it seems best to send it to a garage now.
Car left on the back of an AA truck an hour ago so it's probably already there now anyway!

nathanMR2

They are going to be pleased to see you again  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

smarty72

Quote from: "nathanMR2"They are going to be pleased to see you again  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Shame they don't offer a loyalty reward scheme!

If there was a prize for the unluckiest owner I think you'd win hands down.  Good luck.
current: Astral Black FL

Ex: Forest Green 2003.

MelBee42

Quote from: "smarty2072"
Quote from: "nathanMR2"They are going to be pleased to see you again  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Shame they don't offer a loyalty reward scheme!

If there was a prize for the unluckiest owner I think you'd win hands down.  Good luck.

Hahaha. Too true, too true!

Happily, Nath, the garage were pretty sympathetic to my woes, though somewhat incredulous that I could be having so many problems in so short a time!

It's a shame I'm still at work and my car isn't, though!

K T M Rider

Quote from: "MelBee42"it's walking distance from my house

you like that it's local then   s:) :) s:)  .

Hope they can get you sorted without too much hassle.

Given how near your workplace is to where Matt is based it just seemed to make sense to let him have a look.

Might be worth bearing him in mind in future   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

nathanMR2

It has been suggested throughout her ongoing issues
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

MattPerformance

You can take a horse to water, fellas...  s:D :D s:D

2 of the left

Must admit had similar problems with my Mk2 last year - starting was a no-no - Turned out that oil was leaking into the sparkplug pots - they (plugs) were literally "awash" with oil!!
I guess you and Vikface are vying for top slot in the "Woes" League!!
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

MelBee42

Quote from: "KTM_RIDER"
Quote from: "MelBee42"it's walking distance from my house

you like that it's local then   s:) :) s:)  .

Hope they can get you sorted without too much hassle.

Given how near your workplace is to where Matt is based it just seemed to make sense to let him have a look.

Might be worth bearing him in mind in future   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

As I said, it needed to go to a garage as a diagnosis in the car park was unlikely given that two mechanics had already looked at it, nor was I in a position where I could speculatively wait for someone else to look at it. And yes, I would much rather it be local as it needs to be somewhere I can get to to pick it up.

It's still throwing up the camshaft sensor code so I'm guessing either the second sensor isn't working or it's faulty wiring....

Anonymous

unless something has happened during storage of that sensor it is working as it came off my oil burner which apart from lots of oil drinking was running well. on that basis it is most likely going to be wire problem. maybe when the head was taken off to do the head gasket the plug was not nice at coming off so they pulled the wires a bit to much if you can get a picture of the connector i got an old engine loom i can cut the connector off and post to you so the garage can change the connector.

Tags: