*Help* (Please!)

Started by MelBee42, February 23, 2012, 16:19

MattPerformance

Quote from: "StuC"...as I am sure it will be the caliper and not the cable.

SURE???????
With statements like that you've got me thinking that perhaps you did the head gasket repair for her!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  
You are as wrong as you are sure!!!

StuC

Quote from: "MattPerformance"

SURE???????
With statements like that you've got me thinking that perhaps you did the head gasket repair for her!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

No, I am not totally sure and you are right to point that out.
I was extrapolating a observation made on here frequently. Would it not be easier to check the calipers than to replace the handbrake cables though?
It's where I would start based on the knowledge on here.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

MattPerformance

Quote from: "StuC"

SURE???????

No, I am not totally sure and you are right to point that out.
I was extrapolating a observation made on here frequently. Would it not be easier to check the calipers than to replace the handbrake cables though?
It's where I would start based on the knowledge on here.

You're not totally sure but you were happy to say "I'm sure..."!!  How does that work then?????
You'll notice in previous posts that "based on the knowledge on here" several members suggested Mel bring her car to me, because I would know how to fix it, and of course I did.  Those recommendations are not solely based on the fact that I know how to diagnose a seized hand brake cable!!

StuC

In my second post, I was trying to acknowledge that you were right and I had made a statement that I couldn't back up with my own experience.
You have far more experience in this matter, which is why I had suggested to her that she come to you. Again another opinion based on knowledge on this forum.

I was trying to show some support for someone that has clearly been through the mill, that's all.

MattPerformance

Quote from: "StuC"I was trying to acknowledge that you were right

It wasn't about me being right, it was about you being wrong  s;) ;) s;)
My point is that trying to help someone by giving them wrong information is rather counter-productive, no matter how good your intentions.
From my point of view, the whole episode is really disappointing:  I was setting out to become the knight in shining armour (and as far as the starting issue was concerned, I was, briefly), but now I seem to have become the harbinger of doom!  Sorry Mel.

StuC

As a trader then, what is your take on what the other garage have done and any potential come back on them?

Treboeth

Matt more like the guy that had to disclose an unpleasant truth   s:( :( s:(  

Through no fault of yours or Mels her car has been butchered at least by you looking it over she has the facts from a reliable source and can now make a decision .

Mel really hope you get some good news.

MattPerformance

Quote from: "StuC"As a trader then, what is your take on what the other garage have done and any potential come back on them?

On the face of it I think there's a cast iron case against them.  I don't have full details of the extent of the work they carried out (for example, did they replace head bolts...) but the mode of failure of the head gasket would not appear to be overheating (which would be their standard defence) since the leak is external.  There is enough evidence surrounding their work (bodged wires/ connectors, loos bolts, mis-routed pipes/ lines) to support a claim of incompetence/ negligence.  For such a small claim (i.e approx £1,000) they would not choose to implement their public liability insurance so I reckon a small claims proceeding would stir them into offering a settlement.  The trouble is, that could require a court-recognised engineering expert which requires more money and, paradoxically, I suspect no "expert" would be willing to make a definitive statement about the HGF until the engine is stripped!

I'd also like to challenge the previous HGF diagnosis.  HGF seems to be extremely rare on these engines so I'd be very interested to see how they came to the conclusion and the evidence supporting it.

smarty72

Quote from: "StuC"As a trader then, what is your take on what the other garage have done and any potential come back on them?

I'd also like to challenge the previous HGF diagnosis.  HGF seems to be extremely rare on these engines so I'd be very interested to see how they came to the conclusion and the evidence supporting it.

With b******t baffles brains probably.

Really feel for you Mel, You've had nothing but problems with your car but keep coming back for more. just shows how much you must love the MR2 and really don't deserve what's happened.

Small claims court might be the way forward if you can find the money to fix it and face the hassle. Totally understand if you just want to draw a line underneath the whole experience and sell it though. I certainly wouldn't take it back to them and don't think you would need to anyhow (hasn't it been back already?).

Try and keep your chin up and channel all your gloom into getting even with the garage.  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
current: Astral Black FL

Ex: Forest Green 2003.

nathanMR2

I didnt think it sounded right when they suggested it was HGF.

Maybe a threat (or suggestion) of legal action might be enough for them to sort the car out without actually doing it
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Anonymous

Crank sensor makes sense as it wouldn't know where tdc. As for repairs yes you can take them to court but the question is. Is it worth the stress time and money. As for a third option as a club im sure we could get together to fix all the issues. I don't mind doing the head gasket, they not complex to do, just something its best to take your time doing.

kidkarter

I was about to suggest the same ! A well writen letter giving them 2 weeks to do something about it or else !!!!!!!!
There you go.Mel ! Anymore takers ?????

MelBee42

Thanks guys. It definitely was the HG failing though, the engine overheated twice in a rather spectacular smoking incident. OK the garage might have done a rubbish job in fixing it (I wouldn't know) but I jhave no doubt it was fubarred. That was due to a coolant leak which the garage said they had kind of fixed but weren't sure. I checked the coolant every other day for a couple of weeks and it was fine. Topped up a little but not much. So eventually I didn't check it for three days (I think??) and it was not fine. And overheated. I pulled over and topped it up with coolant and it ran fine again. The garage said from the sniff test the HG was definitely gone. Kerching £760.
I loved my car to bits and I have invested around £6k in it (cost of purchase and repairs) and I have no more money to spend on it.I have only owned it for 9 months! It's very. very sad and I'm really upset. pathetic though that might sound. I'm going to try to get it back to my house and yes, any help would be really appreciated. I genuinely have no more money left.  s:( :( s:(
Obviously as some people have suggested, I could threaten the other garage with action, however, they have offered to repair it. I'm not willing to let them  butcher it further but legally as their work is guaranteed I need to allow them the opportunity to make good the works. Which I have no faith that they will.
Might just have a bit of a cry.

kidkarter

Awww Mel there's no need for that hon ! There's always light at the end of the tunnel !  s:) :) s:)
What else needs doing ?

MelBee42

I've been crying all evening mate. There's no light at the end of this particular tunnel. I'm going to have to borrow money to even pick the car up. Matt is more qualified to say what remains to be done than me, but leaking head gasket, seized brake cable, and er, some other stuff.

kidkarter

Awww I can imagine ! My toni didn't get to drive hers more than about 100m and it went wrong ! In the space of a week She went from the cat that got the cream (a new job, became an aunty,and got the car she'd always wanted !) To devastated ! Cried plenty too !  s:( :( s:(  I'd be offering too but I'd better fix hers first ! Haha but you'll get in sorted I'm sure ! Keep your chin up !  s:) :) s:)  how far has it got to go,couldn't ya find someone to help ya tow it ?

Curlytoppz

Just read this thread   s:( :( s:(   Don't know what to say Mel apart from ((((((big hug))))) You really are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Only saving grace you have is having these guys advising and helping out.  Truly hope you get some money back from the garage at some point and that you get your car back on the road.

smarty72

What work from the garage is under warranty?

If you return it to them what are they promising to do without any further charge?

I posted previously that I wouldn't take it back, but you sound as though you have nothing to lose.  Perhaps a vistit/enquiry with citizens advice to see where you stand.  Get a report from Matt if you can about the non-starting fault that they didn't fix and what needs putting right (that they put wrong).  If they manage to sort the head gasget and wiring to your satisfaction then great.  You could then ask for a refund for the £170 for the work they didn't rectify.  You could even mention the extra recovery costs you have incurred as a result of their incompetence.

If you haven't fallen out with them yet then just explain your situation and how they have a duty to put it right. Then you can fall out with them and ask for money back for the non starting fault.

It's just an idea, give it some thought.  You sound like you've hit rock bottom, only way is up now   s:D :D s:D

nathanMR2

If they are offering to put it right and you havent got the money to get anyone else to do it or your not willing to fight the garage take it back to them.

Then just the hand brake issue needs sorting.

Once the jobs done get Matt to check it over and if its ok result. If not off to court you go.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Stephster

Actually, thinking it through, Nathan seems to have the solution. At the minute you are stuck due to lack of money, without a working car.
Only people who can attempt to put it right with no extra cost is the original garage, they either fix it or they don't. If they do then all is well, if they don't then you are no worse off than you were before and go down the court route.

The handbrake cable is about £30/£35 and perhaps a friendly club member would be willing to fit it for you.
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !
Gone over to the dark side - 05 Black Z4 2.0i se with red leather.

Wabbitkilla

This is a really shocking situation you find yourself in through no fault but trusting a garage to do what they were paid to do. I've been watching your story with a growing sense of unease about these cowboys. I call them cowboys because I find no better way of describing what they've been doing to you, all well and good that they've taken care of you with no charging or low charging at times but Matt's report is pretty damning.

Nathan has come up with a great suggestion, I firmly believe you are owed an apology from the garage and recompense for all the time and heartache involved plus putting the botched work right and refund.

A visit to Citizens Advice would be in order too, just to get some official guidance and coaching.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

you can also call a cowboy a "ye ha" as thats the sound cowboys make.

sorry i know not time for jokes but just couldnt help it.

nathan has had a good idea and if it still all bad after all that then im sure an event to come fix all your cars problem will end up happening as we can all see how much pain this is causing you now.

smarty72

Quote from: "Stephster"Actually, thinking it through, Nathan seems to have the solution. At the minute you are stuck due to lack of money, without a working car.
Only people who can attempt to put it right with no extra cost is the original garage, they either fix it or they don't. If they do then all is well, if they don't then you are no worse off than you were before and go down the court route.

The handbrake cable is about £30/£35 and perhaps a friendly club member would be willing to fit it for you.

Didn't Nathan make the same suggestion I did?

Do you ever feel that no ones listening?
I said "DO YOU EVER FEEL THAT ONES LISTENING?"

I'm only joking, just want Mel to get it sorted.  I don't think she has much choice really. Two possible outcomes.

1, It gets fixed with no further charge.
2, They mess up again.

If they mess it up again your case will probably look even more compelling in the small claims court.

It's already been said that a head gasket is not THAT difficult to replace and should be well within the abilities of someone claiming to offer 'garage services'.

Good luck (if you can hear me that is, I'm off to sit in the corner and sulk now!)  s:( :( s:(

Stephster

SMARTY..... SMARTY... come back and stop sulking ! Sorry, to have missed your post on this. Here have a hug <<<<Smarty>>>>. P.s. what colour smarty are you ?
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !
Gone over to the dark side - 05 Black Z4 2.0i se with red leather.

smarty72

Quote from: "Stephster"SMARTY..... SMARTY... come back and stop sulking ! Sorry, to have missed your post on this. Here have a hug <<<<Smarty>>>>. P.s. what colour smarty are you ?

Green of course - The incredible sulk!

I did waffle a bit, but that point was in there.

Tags: