Track Day

Started by dlivingstone_19, February 27, 2012, 14:08

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply.  Roof coming off for the summer it is then.

I am indeed in Newcastle, sadly I can't make any of the 3 days at Teeside due to work commitments, bit gutted about that.  I work in the NW so am looking at getting to Anglesey / Oulton Park soon.

dlivingstone_19

Yes I plan to do a coupe more track days. I plan to work my way round all of the main circuits in the UK. There are some great race tracks out there.

Are you planning to do any track days in the near future?
** Racing in the Caterham Academy for 2013 Thanks to Pistonheads, Autosport and Caterham **

Toyota MRS Spec:
Trd front splitter, Trd Side skirts, Trd Rear Spoiler, New style Rear Lights, 17inch Dezent Motion Black Alloys, Cobra Quad Exit Exhaust System, Markiii Inlet Pipe & Sony Cd Player

Goeman

As many as I reasonably can. I missed out on a lot last year as my car was broken so there's lots of lost time to make up for. It depends on work (I'm on the rigs) but I'm hoping to do teesside on the 10th and either Oulton or Blyton on the 13th or 14th. I keep on going back to the same tracks so I need to broaden my horizons.
Russell

dlivingstone_19

Yeah it's a long way for you to travel to a track like Brands Hatch. You should consider it one day as paddock hill bend is immense.

Would weight reduction be a good idea? Removing the spare wheel from the front? I'm thinking that keeping the extra weight on the front is probably a good idea  :-) :-) :-)
** Racing in the Caterham Academy for 2013 Thanks to Pistonheads, Autosport and Caterham **

Toyota MRS Spec:
Trd front splitter, Trd Side skirts, Trd Rear Spoiler, New style Rear Lights, 17inch Dezent Motion Black Alloys, Cobra Quad Exit Exhaust System, Markiii Inlet Pipe & Sony Cd Player

Goeman

Been to Brands twice. I even killed an engine there. I've done Brands, Cadwell, Blyton, Teesside, Rockingham, Silverstone Stowe, Curborough, and the 'ring. So there's at least a dozen tracks on the to do list.

Weight reduction certainly has an effect but it's not an easy thing to live once you get past removing your luggage and spare wheel. Experiment with the spare wheel. Leave it in for a stint then take it out, see if it feel any better. I'm lazy so I just leave it in. The front wheels should already be loaded up from braking when you turn in for a corner so you don't necessarily need the extra weight over the front axle.

If you suddenly want to the next level then you need tyres. There is nothing you can do to your car short of strapping on a turbo that will make it go round a track quicker.
Russell

dlivingstone_19

Good.

My plan is the same as yours really. Try and drive around as many race circuits in the UK as possible.

I agree with tyres. They can make a massive difference. I've currently got some Bridgestone Potenza on the car (What the car came with).

My next track day is at the end of May, can't wait. I'm going to go to one of the MR2 championship rounds to have a look at their cars.

Toyota MRS Spec:

dlivingstone_19

Update...

Since doing my track day everything seems to be ok with the car. One problem that I have noticed is that the suspension sounds creaky when turning the steering at low speeds.

Could anyone advise me with this?

I'm thinking the suspension top mounts?

Toyota MRS Spec:

Anonymous

What are the rollbar requirements in the UK for an MR2 Roadster? Are there any or does it vary from company to company?

Goeman

Do you mean what do trackday organisers require you to have? None. You can go out in a completely standard car.
Russell

dlivingstone_19

Can anyone answer my question two posts above?

Cheers

Toyota MRS Spec:

Gaz CTS

Short notice now but i'm doing Blyton Park this weekend, we've just set up a dedicated forum to organise track days so i'll post up when the next one is if anybody fancies it.
[centre]Corolla T Sport VVTL-i[/centre]

[centre]A'PEXi Power Intake - TTE Back Box - Falken FK452's - Drilled, Grooved Brake Discs - Mintex Pads - Custom Cold Air Feed - Custom Chrome VVTL-i Badges - Genuine T Sport Mats - Team Heko Wind Deflectors

201BHP @ Fly - 160BHP @ Wheels - 15.2 1/4 Mile @ 94.1mph[/centre]

Goeman

Quote from: "dlivingstone_19"Can anyone answer my question two posts above?

Cheers

Creak suspension is notoriously difficult to diagnose over the internet. Most the users who may be able to help might pass this thread by because of the 'Track Day' title. You'll be best off doing a search to find if there's anything similar (time consuming a tedious I know) and if you still need help the start a new thread in the 'Maintenance, Problems & Troubleshooting' sub-forum where people are more likely to read it.  

Front top mounts sounds reasonable to me. Time for some Tein or Cusco adjustable ones?
Russell

dlivingstone_19

I've been given some old Rover 200 alloys to use for track day wheels.

Will these fit?

4 x 100 15 Inch alloys

5.5J 15CH ET45

Tyres on them at the moment are 185 55 R15.

What tyre stagment would people recommend?

Thanks

Toyota MRS Spec:

Goeman

They'll fit no bother. 5.5J is quite narrow so you not going to get anything more than 195s on them.
Russell

dlivingstone_19

Ok thanks for the reply.

If I keep the 185 on it for the fronts and then buy 195 for the rears.
Would that be a good idea?

I'm running 17inch alloys at the moment so should make a nice difference on a track day.

Toyota MRS Spec:

Goeman

Actually you might get away with 205/50/15 on 5.5J. I personally don't worry about stagger on track with standard power but on road rubber it'll oversteer a lot.
Russell

dlivingstone_19

Ok thanks I'll look into it. Roll on the next year and better weather.

Have you braced any of your Mr2? I'm worried with excess track use the chassis will start twisting. Or am I talking nonsense and the MR2 is perfectly fine on track?  :-) :-) :-)

Thanks

Toyota MRS Spec:

Goeman

Yeah. I have one of MattPerformance's large under body brace, a front strut brace and an updated rear strut brace. I also have a front lower brace which I have not fitted yet. The thing is I also run suspension which is hard as hell and sticky trackday rubber so the stresses on the car are higher.

I wouldn't worry too much about it yet. I'd do a trackday or two first and then decide what you think needs attention. The chassis will twist but its not perminant or anything.
Russell

steve b

If you are thinking of putting sticky tyres on the wheels such as R888's or AD08's I wouldn't until you've put a baffled sump on.
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

Anonymous

Thanks for posting your experience! Got any more planned for this year? I'm hoping to go to brands a few times this year, I think it suits the mr2 well. Llyden hill would be good fun in the mr2 as well. I used to take my bike engined kit car there.

Steve do you know of any baffled sumps other than the Elise parts one? Just wondered if there are any alternatives? Thanks.

steve b

Morso <sp> do one, that's probably more popular than the EP one as been around longer.
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

Anonymous

Yeah I've read some things about poor fitment of those...do you have an Elise Parts one on your car? Didn't  want to spend so much on top of everything else right now, but I think it's silly not to really.

steve b

Yes I have an EP one on my car I won't use a car on sticky tyres in track without one.

They are not allowed in the championship but have to remember that's run by a business man who's original main business is fixing broken mr2s, also the races are short and the tyres although sticky small 15" all round and only 195's on the rear.

Anonymous

Lol that's a good point!!

Thanks, I guess I should bite the bullet and get one. At least it will be usable on a 2zz if I go that way in the future.

pistol pete

how much is one?
got a link

Tags: