Which Spring?

Started by MisterK, March 1, 2012, 17:44

MisterK

Note that I've posted this under Performance and not Appearance.  I'm currently thinking about getting a set of lowering springs fitted mostly for appearance purposes rather than outright performance & based on that thinking then the Prolex FK Automotive offer at £48.50 a set would seem to be a no brainer.  However I thought I'd ask the question as to whether these springs also give value in the perfomance stakes.  It would seem that my other options to lower the car by 30mm would be Toyota Springs from Pentagon Toyota at £151 a set or Tein S-Tech at £132.60 on ebay, SPAX at £136 from Demon Tweek etc etc but this does add an extra cost and would I be able to notice the difference in performance?  I only really use the car for commuting & the odd blast around the lanes, so the question is - will the Prolex FK Automotive set be the ones for me?
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

loadswine

I had a set on one of my roadsters last year and it was great with them, currently have Tein lowering springs on my new roadster and they feel pretty much the same to me. Had TTE springs on the one before and not a vast amount of difference there either, if anything, the FKs felt better!
I would think you'll be fine.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

MisterK

Thanks for that - that's what I thought but thought I'd check out others opinions first.
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

stargazer30

I've ran with TTE springs on my last MR2 and the prolex ones on my current one.  The prolex ones are just as good and much cheaper.  However make sure you factor in the cost of fitting (£120 ish) and 4 wheel laser alignment and geo check (£50-£80).  Thats where the cost is the fitting.  

Performance wise they reduce roll a fair bit, the ride is very slightly more harsh but not an issue.  Speed bumps are not an issue as long as your sensible.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

donnac

Im tempted by these springs too.. have to keep reminding myself i intended to keep this car the way i bought it though  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
2002 Blue Roadster

MisterK

Guys - many thanks for your feedback.  Looks like I'm going to go with the FK Automotive ones.  I've factored in the cost of the fitting and alignment and geo check (Stargazer - your spot on with your figures).  Also, just checked with my insurance company (Adrian Flux) and the good news is no extra cost on the premium and no cost for advising them of the change.  Just need to get them ordered now!

Anonymous

Quote from: "donnac"I'm tempted by these springs too.. have to keep reminding myself i intended to keep this car the way i bought it though  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

go on do it !!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Wabbitkilla

You won't regret it, the car really suits the lowering and it handles much better & safer.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

G20

Is it recommended to get them fitted by a pro or is it something a diyer could do by themself?

I've seen the How to, but I believe the guy had some help while doing it.

mr-ed_smt

it's not too tricky. you need and modest supply of tools, including spring compressors:
 m http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/tools ... 1&0&t5_436 m
 m http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_255216 m
I did mine by myself in an evening I think, using the instructions in the "how to" section. make sure the car is on axle stands, and you put quite a lot of force on some of the bolts. geo-set up afterwards is a very good idea, no matter who fits them.
[size=85]The never ending project - cherished daily driver, to fully-caged track toy![/size]

MisterK

Good news.  Just run the idea past 'she who must be obeyed' and based on feedback from you guys, she now agrees that it's not too bad an idea so will get on to Prolex to order them straight away.  I'm too long in the tooth to have a go at fitting myself, so have arranged for Matt Performance to do this for me which will include alignment etc.  Can't wait now to see how the car will look and feel once complete.

puma2

hi mark, we had this chat last year at ding day if i rember right  s:D :D s:D  
defo lets us no how you get on this and if poss some before and after pics with all the prices you have paid in total  s:) :) s:)  
many thanks  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

G20

Quote from: "MisterK"Good news.  Just run the idea past 'she who must be obeyed' and based on feedback from you guys, she now agrees that it's not too bad an idea so will get on to Prolex to order them straight away.  I'm too long in the tooth to have a go at fitting myself, so have arranged for Matt Performance to do this for me which will include alignment etc.  Can't wait now to see how the car will look and feel once complete.

Just out of curiosity, how much is Matt charging for fitting and alignment?

I've got springs sitting in my garage but a bit worried to give it a go myself so looking at what prices I should be paying.

MisterK

Hope Matt doesn't mind me saying - it's £180 including a 4 wheel geometric check after installation, which is spot on the figure that Stargazer suggested.  Springs were ordered from Prolex on Friday & should be dispatched today, so hopefully I can arrange with Matt to get them installed before too long.  I'll post some pickies in due course.

G20

Quote from: "MisterK"Hope Matt doesn't mind me saying - it's £180 including a 4 wheel geometric check after installation, which is spot on the figure that Stargazer suggested.  Springs were ordered from Prolex on Friday & should be dispatched today, so hopefully I can arrange with Matt to get them installed before too long.  I'll post some pickies in due course.

The garages around me are wanting 150/160 just for fitting the springs  s:( :( s:(

MisterK

Springs just arrived so now need to arrange fitting.  Will post before & after pickies when done.

Toplesscouple

Shame I didn't see this thread earlier, Mark. You could have come and tried our car. TBH, I'm not overly impressed as the ride quality is greatly reduced and you use yours as a daily driver. To be sure it does handle better and looks good, but on our ever increasingly badly surfaced roads the knobbly ride is annoying and the interior does rattle and squeak more. Maybe yours won't or I'm just being too fussy.

loadswine

I thought you had Tein springs and the KYB dampers, which are also uprated TC?

MisterK

Quote from: "Toplesscouple"Shame I didn't see this thread earlier, Mark. You could have come and tried our car. TBH, I'm not overly impressed as the ride quality is greatly reduced and you use yours as a daily driver. To be sure it does handle better and looks good, but on our ever increasingly badly surfaced roads the knobbly ride is annoying and the interior does rattle and squeak more. Maybe yours won't or I'm just being too fussy.

Not quite the same setup as yours Pete - I'm only replacing the springs.  From what I can see you did KYBs and Tein springs from Camskill plus a corkys plate.  That's why I asked for feedback from other members & all gave the thumbsup for the FK Automotive offering.  I'm sure that for what I want it'll be fine, but I'll let you know in a couple of weeks when all fitted & bedded in.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

bigwillcv36

I've got the FK springs and KYB shocks... and some seriously bad roads around me!
You definately feel the bumps more but it's still a reasonably comfortable ride and the car handles so much better. It's a worthwhile pay off and I'd never go back.
Just read the road and move about as necessary.  s:-D :-D s:-D
Will
04 Sable RED Ltd Ed, RED leather seats steering wheel and panels, RED soft top, RED brake calipers, after Market panel filter, gutted pre cats, FK Automotive lowering springs, custom sable j-spec nose badge, partially de-badged rear, sable indies, front strut brace, cobra sport quad exhaust, TRD Short Shifter, Bonnet/Engine cover Gas Struts

loadswine

I'd agree. The combo of FK springs and KYBs are superb and work well for a sensible cost. I'd say they were as good as some solutions costing more than twice as much. Yes, a little firmer than stock, but if my stock shocks give out at any point, the provision of the KYB units is a no brainer.

Toplesscouple

Quote from: "loadswine"I thought you had Tein springs and the KYB dampers, which are also uprated TC?

Yes, that's the set-up, Loadswine.

Perhaps the slightly firmer dampers make it harsher or, like I said, I'm just too fussy. Still think I prefer the standard set-up for all round performance as I never really had any handling issues. Obviously wasn't driving fast enough  s:) :) s:)

MisterK

Had the new springs fitted by Matt Performance yesterday & I must say, I'm really pleased as they have achieved both aims -  the car looks a lot better and has far more 'presence' - gone are the tractor like gaps between the tyre & the top of the wheel arch.  The driving performance has also improved too.  Whilst you can notice that the ride is a little bit harder, it's nothing that I can't live with and the roadholding has definitely improved.  No issues as yet with speed humps, though I must remember that the car is now 30mm lower than before!
Before:

After:

Great value for money.

Toplesscouple

Glad you're happy with the new set up, Mark.

Sets your car off a treat.   s:) :) s:)

Tags: