TTE Lowering Springs

Started by Anonymous, July 8, 2003, 21:20

Anonymous

Mine are being done for £272.73 (approx!) including VAT and fitting.

Seems about right from what I've heard from others.

HTH

--H--

Anonymous

Where are you getting it done? If I can give a dealer name, then I can start to haggle harder?

Anonymous

markiii

or buy yourself some spring compressors for £20 spend a couple of hours on the car and spend teh £80 on beer.

easy.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Just had good, if somewhat surprising, news from my insurer (Direct Line).  There is no additional charge on my policy for having the Toyota (TTE) lowering springs fitted.

s:D :D s:D  

Roll on next Wednesday!...  Reports to come...

--H--

Comer

Quote from: "markiii"or buy yourself some spring compressors for £20 spend a couple of hours on the car and spend teh £80 on beer.

easy.
Is it really that easy?  Don't tempt me.
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Anonymous

I know of someone who's done it before and he said it was pretty easy, but he was very mechanically minded.  Personally I'd rather let the pros do it as the suspension is a pretty vital piece of kit and I wouldn't want to risk messing anything up!

Besides you'd have to take it in to get the wheel alignment fixed afterwards anyway.

--H--

markiii

for lowering springs you need to undo a total of 5 bolts per wheel.

plus the bracket that holds the abs wiring out of the way.

Then you need a torque wrench to put them all back again. (I'm so glad I bought the workshop manuals)

Having done the sportivo these are easy as there no where near as much involved.

I reckon a couple of hours would see all 4 done. However core is right you will still need an alignment done by MrT afterwards.

mark.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

is the aliment crusual??

and can it be done by someone like elites??

Anonymous

Is it really that easy  s:? :? s:?  

If so, then I'm sorely tempted to do it myself. I'm happy changing brake discs and pads etc, so it doesn't sound that hard really.

The question is - can I do it a wheel at a time, or do I have to do both the fronts and both the backs etc... or even all four? I only have the gear to do one wheel at a time  s:-( :-( s:-(

If I do it myself, I suppose it won't be covered by the warrenty either will it?

Hmm, maybe getting Mr.T to do it for me isn't such a bad idea afterall  s:-( :-( s:-(

markiii

Questions at random.

Yes elite could do the alignment. In a lot case I hear the do a better and cheaper job than MrT.

It really is that easy and you can do one wheel at a time.

ref warranty, the springs will still becovered by whoever you buy them from. I've never heard of a spring failing it's usually the shock.

On that subject if the shock does fail, they can't deny warranty on it as the TTE springs are designed to work with standard shocks.

I will scan the worksop manual pages when I get a chance and you can see how easy it is.

With the instructions, a torque wrench and spring compressors it's easy, just take it slowly and think about what your doing each step of the way.

It's no more difficult than changing discs it just sounds like a big job until you actually look at whats involved.

Mark.

Anonymous

Mark, you're a star...

Thanks for that. I'd be very interested to hear what you recommend. If I can save myself a couple of hundred quid by doing it myself, then I will do. I might even get the springs in time for Donnington this way.

Fab  :-) :-) :-)

Does this mean I'll need a copy of your workshop manual?

markiii

Theres actually 2 manuals one for the engine and one for everything else. They ain't easy to get as Toyota would rather you didn't know how they work on the car because then you'll pay them to do it.

I paid approx £150 for the set. I should be able to get more but for this I can just copy you the appropriate pages.

markiii

right.

went one better than the scans from the manual.

Heres a link to the Sportivo install article I read before doing mine.

remember although it looks complicated your only going to have to do the springs.

Follow the instructions for removing the shocks. take off the spring using your spring compressors, then put on the new spring, and follow the reinstall part.

simple.

m http://www.spydermagazine.com/2002/Jan/ ... ortivo.htm m

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"for lowering springs you need to undo a total of 5 bolts per wheel.

plus the bracket that holds the abs wiring out of the way.

I'll see that and raise with 5 bolts and a bracket!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

IIRC, you have to undo 3 bolts on top of the strut tower and 2 bolts from the bottom. Then you have to undo the bolt holding the upper spring plate on the shock strut...and you really should loosen this first, while it's still tight in the car, a lot easier that way. (and obviously the 4 bolts holding the wheel;))

And you also have to undo the brake like bracket.

It's still just as easy as everyone already said.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"Theres actually 2 manuals one for the engine and one for everything else.

They ain't easy to get as Toyota would rather you didn't know how they work on the car because then you'll pay them to do it.

I paid approx £150 for the set. I should be able to get more but for this I can just copy you the appropriate pages.

My set had four manuals  s:? :? s:?

One for the engine, one for the body, one for the electrics and one "new features" or something (totally useless). Paid about 200 euros (£140) from those and I think those can be had from any european dealer, if the ones in UK are being bitchy about them. (mine has info for LHD&RHD cars, so it's probably the same)

markiii

well I was't counting the wheel nuts  :-) :-) :-)

but Tems right there are 2 others I forgot to mention. Still easy though.

Interesting that you had 3 manuals Tem. When did you buy them? They might have added to the set since. I know the SMT isn't covered in mine as the manuals are earlier than that. So it's not impossibel they've split it out further.

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"Interesting that you had 3 manuals Tem. When did you buy them? They might have added to the set since. I know the SMT isn't covered in mine as the manuals are earlier than that. So it's not impossibel they've split it out further.

I think I got them in April...this year anyway. I think it covered SMT as well, not 100% sure cause I never really needed any SMT info.

How many pages you have in your books? (I'll check mine when I get home)

mph

All the workshop manuals can be bought from (friendly) Toyota dealerships. Just go to the parts department, quoting the appropriate publication number:

MR2 Chassis and Body Repair Manual - RM762E
1ZZ-FE Engine Repair Manual - RM763E
Repair Manual Supplement for Chassis & Body - RM803E
MR2 Electrical Wiring Diagram - EWD410F
MR2 New Car Features - NCF180E
TOTOYA New Car Features Supplement - NCF195E

Note that these are for Euro-spec cars. Expect to pay upwards of £20 for each of them.

I know that markiii has the first two; I've got the third one.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tem

"MR2 Chassis and Body Repair Manual - RM762E
Repair Manual Supplement for Chassis & Body - RM803E"

mph, do you know the difference between these two?

mph

Quote from: "Tem""MR2 Chassis and Body Repair Manual - RM762E
Repair Manual Supplement for Chassis & Body - RM803E"

mph, do you know the difference between these two?
I don't either in front of me right now but..

RM762E is a pretty big book and covers the whole car, as the name implies. RM803E was first released Aug 2000 after the SMT was launched. The original manual doesn't have any SMT info in it. It also contains an update on the clutch/transmission. Finally it has a few bits of electronics, mainly around the dash.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

Right, well after all the talk about DIY and how easy it should be, I've convinced a mate to lend me his garage and tools for a day. I'm borrowing some spring compressors, and I'm going to bite the bullet and try and fit them myself.

I figure that the worst thing that can happen is that I balls it up, have to put it back to the old coils, and pay MrT to do it after all. It's not like I can kill the car is it.

Hopefully I'll take a bunch of digital pics and post a recipe afterwards. Wish me luck  :-) :-) :-)

markiii

If you get to the point where you need to put the old springs back on then you may as well leave the TTE ones on as your at the same point anyway.

Just take it slow and remember 3 key points.

1. TTE springs are progressive, i.e the coils get closer together as you go up or down the spring (I forget which) this means that you must put the spring in the right way round. Make Sure the writing on the spring is the right way up for you to read normally and you'll be fine.

2, Make sure the springs end is tight against the lip on the shock. It's obvious what I mean when you actually get to that point.

3. Loosen the nut on the top of the shock before you take the shock off the car otherwise you will really struggle to get a good enough grip on the shock for the effort you'll need (Breaker bar time), just get it finger tight before taking the shock off the car.

have fun,

Mark.

Tags: