new menber, new car, engine management light on !!! aaaagh !

Started by kidkarter, March 19, 2012, 18:37

kidkarter

was advised to start a new tread !
 ok so in short, bought an 04 mr2 1800vvti 48000 miles on sunday for my girlfriend drove it home, about an hrs drive, the second we parked it up the engine management came on, started flashing and the engine started missing and idoling terribley ! managed to get it pluged in today and got these codes :

Ok so we have a :
P0304 cylinder 4 missfire detected which pretty much speaks for itself, just checked it and ( serviced 6months ago my fat one !!!! Hope the that's not too rude or anything else ?) Haha fitted new plugs ! no joy !
and a:

P0171 system 2 lean bank 1 ???
Hope this is a concequence of the first one ???
And this was on a blue point ready so I asume its fairly reliable ?
Help !!!!! Haha

Carribdis has already said on the other thread that i hyjacked "Had the very same codes on my mates 2 couple months ago. Turned out to be a dodgy injector." so i think thats probably a good place to start !

does anyone agree or disagree with this ? what are your thoughts ?
thanks
toby

Anonymous

kidkarter

Quote from: "M R 2"http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=37452

oh nice one ! well spotted thanks !!   s:D :D s:D

spit

I've seen these codes as a result of a duff injector too. Its a logical deduction and worth a punt with one of Nige's injectors. Swap out can be fiddly on number 4. Keep some newspaper handy to tuck in under the injector and catch residual squirts and dribbles when you replace.
Good luck.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

markiii

actually i'd be looking a at coilpacks

I have a set of 4 you can have for £45
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Carribdis

Doh! I suggested coils too on the other thread. Can't beleive i don't get the credit for that now lol. I'm gonna throw in a Clean your Maf too.
Not just a name, but a way of life.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj25 ... is/car.jpg

spit

Coilpacks are a possibility but a lumpy idle with it running otherwise OKish would lean me towards fuelling. A quick plug-out and sniff could confirm or - as mentioned elsewhere (see, we do give you credit for it!   s:P :P s:P ) - rotation of the coil packs would move the problem and help derive a cheap diagnosis if one of them is at fault.

[drift] Mark, if you're willing to split your set of coil packs I have an odd three here and wouldn't mind replenishing them back to a full set.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Carribdis

Quote from: "spit"Coilpacks are a possibility but a lumpy idle with it running otherwise OKish would lean me towards fuelling. A quick plug-out and sniff could confirm or - as mentioned elsewhere (see, we do give you credit for it!   s:P :P s:P ) - rotation of the coil packs would move the problem and help derive a cheap diagnosis if one of them is at fault.

[drift] Mark, if you're willing to split your set of coil packs I have an odd three here and wouldn't mind replenishing them back to a full set.

Lean you towards? Ahhh good one, cos he's got lean error code........ no?...... Never mind.

kidkarter

Carribdis ! i gave you the credit dude !!! haha thats great guys thanks ! you've confirmed for me too that the coilpacks are interchangeble, i already thought of that but didn't try it just in case ? on the injector front is it possible that a injector cleaning additive might work ?
anyway plenty for me to get on with without spendin too much cash needlessly hopefully ?   s:D :D s:D  
i'll keep you posted
thanks
toby

normanh

A silly one check that the plug holes are not full of water in particular No 1 for some reason a few here have had that including me, easily found just look for rust/tide mark on the end of the coil pack. Water can run over the cover if the cars parked on a slope in the rain.

Your not far from me if ever you need a code reader.

norman

kidkarter

Quote from: "normanh"A silly one check that the plug holes are not full of water in particular No 1 for some reason a few here have had that including me, easily found just look for rust/tide mark on the end of the coil pack. Water can run over the cover if the cars parked on a slope in the rain.

norman

cheers norm ! already replaced the plugs though and no water or tide marks, the plugs though didn't look like they'd ever been changed ??? haha

toby

Anonymous

If you ever want a bit of help you can always pop round and we can swap parts to find out what's gone.

kidkarter

cheers dude ! mighty kind of ya though this time it might be a bit far with it running the way it is ?

kidkarter

just been reading the thread above ! is it possibble we picked up some crappy fuel on the way home ???

also just remembered my mates neighbour has an mrs import ! are they the same for the relavent parts ???

Anonymous

The engines are the same. On a note when swapping injectors, get some o rings as they are known to split an be a pain, so easy does it.

kidkarter

Ok so tryed some injector cleaner additive just in case it was just sticking ! No change !
Cleaned the maf which did have a fair amount of carbon-crudd on it ! No change !
Swapped no.3 no.4 coilpacks around ! No change ! (But the light did go out for about 10-20 secs ? ) so it has to be the injector ??? Hopefully !! Haha  s:) :) s:)  

Which means first prize i think of an injector that hopefully doesn't work !  goes to !
Drum roll please  !

CARIBDIS
Speech ! Speech !

Carribdis

Lol, i'll save the speech for when you change them and it works.

2 of the left

Just a gut feeling - INJECTOR!!  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

kidkarter

injector recieved ! thanks nigel ! but i've got a stinking cold ! aaagh !!!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

loadswine

You're supposed to stick it in the car, not up your nose Toby!  s;) ;) s;)
Hope you and the car feel better soon.  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

kidkarter

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   dag namit ! is that..... well your instuctions didn't say i couldn't so.... it must be your fault !!!!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   i'm sure it'll stiil work covered in snot ! won't it ???   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

kidkarter

Ok seriously now ! Haha changed the injector, and nothing changed ???? Still missing on tickover and the management light is back on and flashing, though I haven't got access to the reader till Monday to see if the codes have changed ? Next ! !!! Haha   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  Haha

Carribdis

Ah....... bugger. Have you reset your ECU?

kidkarter

I think so ? I did disconnect the batt while I was doin it ? Must of taken 15-20 min to do ? It was off at first then came on after about a minite, so i turned it off for few minutes and then decided to take round the yard to the guy with the reader and it did the same again ??? Unfortunately he's left it at home ! Grrrrrr Haha

Carribdis

Yeh that would have done it. Wonder if the codes you get will be the same. We'll need to wait until we find out. But check all your hoses and pipes for holes or leaks etc in the meantime.

Tags: